Conference Realignment

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Would UNCheat be willing to sink the entire conference that they control (let's be honest they still have outsized control) to become an also ran with no control in the $EC or BIG? I mean their high pre-season rankings with a mid-season collapse fits in well with the $EC who already has Kentucky, USC east, Texas A&M, Auburn, Mississippi St etc....

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Would UNCheat be willing to sink the entire conference that they control (let's be honest they still have outsized control) to become an also ran with no control in the $EC or BIG? I mean their high pre-season rankings with a mid-season collapse fits in well with the $EC who already has Kentucky, USC east, Texas A&M, Auburn, Mississippi St etc....
I know that some of the ACC Office employees that were UNC alums did retire when Swofford retired. Not sure how many moved when the office moved to Charlotte. The ACC football and basketball championships are slanted to NC locations due to benefits given by the NC legislature to keep the ACC office in NC. Charlotte and Greensboro were clear winners. UNC has enjoyed basically a home team advantage for years in Greensboro. Charlotte not far behind.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Incoming freshmen getting big bucks is a money bribe and has nothing to do with NIL. Just a signing bonus to go play for the highest bidder.
Which seems just like the old days. Paging Mr. Barkley, Mr. Walker, Mr. Newton, et al.......

It'll be alright.
charlie brown GIF by Peanuts

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I'm guessing that the only ones who want to leave are ones who figure they have a better spot to land in (The SEC or the B1G). Perhaps they've been given encouragements in that direction. Perhaps they've been under the table talking to one or both of the big two. My guess is the SEC. Hard to keep quiet, but I've been surprised before how long such things have been kept out of the media when it was really imperative to do so, perhaps for legal reasons. Just a hunch.
I hope this plays out like the scenarios of the families and the entourages of the kids who are persuaded into the portal only to discover that the grass ain’t so much greener elsewhere.
I know these schools won’t be damaged long-term because the B12 would take them and / or the ACC would welcome them back with open arms, but it sure would be fun to watch.
Even more fun if we were the ones smiling and waiving in the rear view as the dust settles…
Guy can hope, right?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
This Big12 dude is all about expanding the conference to compete with the Big10 and the SEC by picking off the Louisville, Virginia Tech and NC State.

And no mention of Georgia Tech at all.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Yes.

Being a big fish in a pond that is drying up is not healthy.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Y’all blaming TV is just hilarious. Do none of y’all remember the days where you could only watch your team a few games a season outside of actually going to the game? TV has been the greatest tool in the history of sports. I, for one, love that I have the ability to watch any team play on any given game day. Now, it’s TV’s fault that the sport has been so successful that people want more meaningful games? It’s bizarro world. I love conference expansion because I could care less about watching GT play Gardner Webb or Bama play L-Monroe. Those games bring zero interest. Bring on the super conferences!

The portal has brought more 4 stars to GT’s roster than any recruiter could. It’s brought us a QB we haven’t seen Godsey. And NIL has been going on for decades in the SEC and BIG so I have no issue with it being used by everyone now without punishment.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Clemson may have found the loophole they needed:

I listened…:oops:
I am not sure how any of it is relevant and it’s only a “loophole” if 12 teams vote to kick Clemson out and then Clemson wins a lawsuit to regain their media from the GOR.
IF that actually happened, I think Clemson would indeed win back their rights… but for as many times as the word “nonsensical” was used, he failed to see how nonsensical that scenario is.
1. Clemson wont be voted out.
2. Any team voted out would be voted out for lack of contribution to the conference or grotesque damages caused to the conference.
Since Clemson has value (contributes), their plan must be to inflict enough damage to be voted out so they can sue for media rights after the fact. Good luck. This notion is even crazier than FSU.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This something I shared with a lawyer friend in NC and he basically agrees. He thinks this will not last for ten years:

I don't think the ACC will do anything overt to punish FSU or Clemson if, after all this is settled, both are still in the ACC. But, I do believe their existence as members will be terribly awkward. Every uncalled foul or review that goes against them will feel like punishment. A Thursday night football game with an opponent who had the previous Saturday off will feel like punishment. And, I think them remaining in the ACC for the next ten or so years is very likely. If they withdraw without their media rights, where are they going? If they have a landing spot already lined up, I am almost certain the ACC will sue the target conference for tampering and tie up the move in court for years. What would either school do with no conference and no media rights?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This Big12 dude is all about expanding the conference to compete with the Big10 and the SEC by picking off the Louisville, Virginia Tech and NC State.

And no mention of Georgia Tech at all.

The internet provides far too much bandwidth for attention seekers, uninformed opinion and ridiculously wild speculation tirelessly rehearsed in front of bathroom mirrors….
Exhibit 236,782,478 respectfully submitted for your consideration.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
The internet provides far too much bandwidth for attention seekers, uninformed opinion and ridiculously wild speculation tirelessly rehearsed in front of bathroom mirrors….
Exhibit 236,782,478 respectfully submitted for your consideration.
I understand.

However, the other conference in the room, the Big 12, is considering how it can maintain its relevance in a world dominated by the Big 10 and the SEC. Poaching ACC members is probably better than promoting lesser schools.

At some point, I can see the presidents just growing weary of the haggling and voting to disband. And probably sooner rather than later. For most of the presidents, this is probably an unnecessary distraction from what they see as their real jobs.

Let's say that two schools have offers from the Big 10 and two have offers from the SEC. The new members don't have voting rights, correct? So, if enough of the remaining bunch get offered by the Big 12, poof!

Done.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I understand.

However, the other conference in the room, the Big 12, is considering how it can maintain its relevance in a world dominated by the Big 10 and the SEC. Poaching ACC members is probably better than promoting lesser schools.

At some point, I can see the presidents just growing weary of the haggling and voting to disband. And probably sooner rather than later. For most of the presidents, this is probably an unnecessary distraction from what they see as their real jobs.

Let's say that two schools have offers from the Big 10 and two have offers from the SEC. The new members don't have voting rights, correct? So, if enough of the remaining bunch get offered by the Big 12, poof!

Done.
I heard ESPN has right to not renew if noticed provided by feb 2025.

All this squabbling by the GOOD teams and the lawyer up talk by the crummy teams , may make your scenario likely.

Also, i saw gt is near the bottom on betting chances to win acc in 2024. Boy, this would be a great time to pull a gt and make a run.

-

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Just catching up on the news about Clemson as well. At this point does it help or hurt us by standing by with the ACC? I just don't see us filing a lawsuit as well.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Really, your GT blinders are on that much? UVA is a state school, adjoining to already B1G members, incredible wealthy. rated higher academically than GT and an AAU member.

The BIG financial model is through linear Television subscription, which gives us our only shot, because the market of Atlanta is big, but the reality is that GT doesn't even bring that market. UGA dominates this state.

The only shot, is if B1G adds 4 and wants continual adjoining states down the east coast. Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida, and then I could see UVA, UNC, GT and Miami. I think the chances of that happening are less than 10%
I would say there are more Big10 alumni in Atlanta than in Charlottesville!

Actually, there is a database that tracks where alumni from different schools go. Here's an article. Atlanta and DC are a destination for 1-5% of the alumni of a lot of schools. DC may have more alumni, but they also have Maryland in that market already. Atlanta would be a new market with a ton of underserved alumni.