Conference Realignment

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Just a sad day for me. I thought Clemson would hang on for a while since they were a charter member of the ACC. I remember how excited I was when I went to BDS after they raised the ACC Flags. Since I was in school for 2 of our last 4 years in the SEC, I was very happy to see GT back in a conference. Then, after adding Miami and VT, everyone including the media was saying how the ACC was gaining on the SEC as a strong Football conference. I recall USA Today suggesting that the ACC would become the strongest conference.

At this point, I would not be surprised to see part or all of the so called "Magnificent Seven" join with FSU and Clemson to see if they can by sheer mass force the breakup of the conference. I wish I could be more positive, but this latest move by Clemson is very discouraging.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
College sports sucks. Greed ruined it years ago. NIL, the portal, and mega-conferences all make college sports quite ****ty these days. I spend a whole lot less time and money on it.
That is your right to spend your money how you want. For me, college sports are finally moving in the right direction. The days of certain teams being put on probation for years essentially destroying their program for a decade while other teams never even got looked at are over. Now, if a player isn’t happy they can enroll at another school, just like any free person can do. And now everyone can buy players like Dean, Roy, Calipari, Thompson, etc did. Teams like GT will benefit not just the elite. I’m still waiting for UGA’s and Auburn’s Natties to be vacated by the NCAA due to Herschel and Cam. The NCAA needs to die.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This move by Clemson is outstanding. Finally, another school is willing to fight for its future and fight for the rest of us who are too busy hiding under our covers hoping to get whatever crumbs that Sankey and Pettiti authorize us to get. It’s amazing to see so many Tech fans who are willing to accept mediocrity. Something tells me if GT had gone undefeated last year and got left out that just about every Tech fan would be screaming for us to leave.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
That is your right to spend your money how you want. For me, college sports are finally moving in the right direction. The days of certain teams being put on probation for years essentially destroying their program for a decade while other teams never even got looked at are over. Now, if a player isn’t happy they can enroll at another school, just like any free person can do. And now everyone can buy players like Dean, Roy, Calipari, Thompson, etc did. Teams like GT will benefit not just the elite. I’m still waiting for UGA’s and Auburn’s Natties to be vacated by the NCAA due to Herschel and Cam. The NCAA needs to die.
Check out Kadyn Proctor. Dude goes to Alabama out of high school from Iowa. Gets paid. Saban quits. He transfers to Iowa and cashes their checks. Two months later, he just told Iowa he's back in the portal and he's going back to Alabama. Yeah, screw this nonsense. You guys can have it and pretend that different teams have a shot at winning if you like.

Do you really think anyone from the SEC or B1G is winning a football natty anytime soon with the $$ differences?

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
This move by Clemson is outstanding. Finally, another school is willing to fight for its future and fight for the rest of us who are too busy hiding under our covers hoping to get whatever crumbs that Sankey and Pettiti authorize us to get. It’s amazing to see so many Tech fans who are willing to accept mediocrity. Something tells me if GT had gone undefeated last year and got left out that just about every Tech fan would be screaming for us to leave.
What does Tech have to be anything other than mediocre? A lot of money? Ummmmm. Willing to spend money? ummmmm. Big fan base willing to spend money? Uuuuuuuummmmm. Win a war of a words about how high and mighty academic standards which doesn't help your NET ranking nor your college football playoff ranking? Yeah, we got 'em there.

You act like we are Clemson or FSU. Come on man. LOLOLOLOL

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
You just don’t get it… and people like you are the reason Tech is in the position it is. Keep telling yourself how great you are as a tech man as we slip further into irrelevance.
That’s just a poor effort, weak-sauce sir. Literally all I was saying is that if they take UVA why wouldn’t they give us the same consideration as a 4th school? What is the big selling point that makes them SO great but GT is G5 Sunbelt Conf-bound trash?

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

Interesting. So Clemson’s claim is based on the “unconscionability” of the GOR contract: “the principle that courts may refuse to enforce contracts that are unfair or oppressive because of procedural abuses during contract formation or because of overreaching contractual terms, especially terms that unreasonably favor one party while precluding a meaningful choice for the other party."

Cool. Does this mean we can sue to get our money back from P*** H***** and G**** C******?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. So Clemson’s claim is based on the “unconscionability” of the GOR contract: “the principle that courts may refuse to enforce contracts that are unfair or oppressive because of procedural abuses during contract formation or because of overreaching contractual terms, especially terms that unreasonably favor one party while precluding a meaningful choice for the other party."

Cool. Does this mean we can sue to get our money back from P*** H***** and G**** C******?
A. Would the gor exist without tv deal?
The leavers will try to link the excessive gor exit fee to the " equal payout".

The leavers say their great success is what the tv guys wanted. They are saying it is due to thier fans GREATLY INCREASED DONATIONS AND TICKET SALES. BEING ADDED TO THE TV MONEY.

The leavers will say the agreements assumed that for
equal payout all acc members needed to greatly increase D and TS. The producers are saying they want to leave the free riders. The agreements as a whole imply all must donate and buy tickets to get equal pay.

Going to make old gt prez look very cheap.

B. 2 years ago at spring accn acc meeting, Gt / Angel got the message that the tv guys were not happy with the lack of football support by the admins. He has acted. We are rising in ATL WHICH IS A MAJOR TV MARKET AND AREA WHERE ATHLETES ARE RECRUITED and want to play.

Next he has to find revenue streams.

Unfortunately the acc has zagged with replacing old acc prez who failed with a lawyer type w no tv experience.

Also , the move of the acc to add more great academic but below average football seems like more free riders.

BUT the good thing for the 3 new teams is THE VERY LARGE TV MARKET.

Location location locatin and a great gt prez is only chance gt gets included with the future serious tv money.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Just a sad day for me. I thought Clemson would hang on for a while since they were a charter member of the ACC. I remember how excited I was when I went to BDS after they raised the ACC Flags. Since I was in school for 2 of our last 4 years in the SEC, I was very happy to see GT back in a conference. Then, after adding Miami and VT, everyone including the media was saying how the ACC was gaining on the SEC as a strong Football conference. I recall USA Today suggesting that the ACC would become the strongest conference.

At this point, I would not be surprised to see part or all of the so called "Magnificent Seven" join with FSU and Clemson to see if they can by sheer mass force the breakup of the conference. I wish I could be more positive, but this latest move by Clemson is very discouraging.
I'm guessing that the only ones who want to leave are ones who figure they have a better spot to land in (The SEC or the B1G). Perhaps they've been given encouragements in that direction. Perhaps they've been under the table talking to one or both of the big two. My guess is the SEC. Hard to keep quiet, but I've been surprised before how long such things have been kept out of the media when it was really imperative to do so, perhaps for legal reasons. Just a hunch.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm guessing that the only ones who want to leave are ones who figure they have a better spot to land in (The SEC or the B1G). Perhaps they've been given encouragements in that direction. Perhaps they've been under the table talking to one or both of the big two. My guess is the SEC. Hard to keep quiet, but I've been surprised before how long such things have been kept out of the media when it was really imperative to do so, perhaps for legal reasons. Just a hunch.
I cant imagine they would go to these extremes without having kicked it off initially with a straw poll of an invite.

But with all the odious mudslinging and a perception of breach of confidentiality, if I was B1G or SEC I wouldn't take FSU based on their toxicity.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Check out Kadyn Proctor. Dude goes to Alabama out of high school from Iowa. Gets paid. Saban quits. He transfers to Iowa and cashes their checks. Two months later, he just told Iowa he's back in the portal and he's going back to Alabama. Yeah, screw this nonsense. You guys can have it and pretend that different teams have a shot at winning if you like.

Do you really think anyone from the SEC or B1G is winning a football natty anytime soon with the $$ differences?
I’ll take it over what we had. The schools are the idiots for paying. I think what Proctor did is genius. If someone is willing to write him a check with no guarantees then I have no problem with him taking advantage.

I get that many like the old way of a coach lying to a high school kid to get him to sign and then hold the player hostage for 4 years.

And no, I don’t believe that anyone outside the SEC or BIG has a chance to win a Natty because of the money difference and poll bias. That’s why the ACC should never have agreed to take less money. And that’s why this conference will die. Poor leadership and now we are contractually obligated to take less. Everyone should leave out of principle.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I cant imagine they would go to these extremes without having kicked it off initially with a straw poll of an invite.

But with all the odious mudslinging and a perception of breach of confidentiality, if I was B1G or SEC I wouldn't take FSU based on their toxicity.
Clemson hasn’t turned in notice they are leaving. My point is that they haven‘t locked themselves into leaving if this gets settled in their favor until they are ready to.make a move.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Clemson hasn’t turned in notice they are leaving. My point is that they haven‘t locked themselves into leaving if this gets settled in their favor until they are ready to.make a move.
OK. It's Wednesday. If they discover by tomorrow that the GOR is gone and the exit fee is nil, will it be Friday or Saturday when they announce their exit effective in 2023. There is nothing "long term" about this.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Some will end up in the B1G. Some will end up in the SEC. The rest if you're in a good TV market and not a small private school will end up in the Big 12.

College sports sucks. Greed ruined it years ago. NIL, the portal, and mega-conferences all make college sports quite ****ty these days. I spend a whole lot less time and money on it.
Let's face it . TV has ruined it. TV contract money has infused so much money to certain favored conferences that a few colleges can afford huge coach salaries and buildings that look like palaces. TV has influenced attendance where fans can stay home and see virtually all the games and avoid lousy stadiums, parking problems, over priced concessions, and bad weather. All that TV money has influenced players to want a piece of the action. Now teams that are not in the big money conferences want to get out and join in the even bigger money conferences. It all boils down to greed and TV funds it.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's face it . TV has ruined it. TV contract money has infused so much money to certain favored conferences that a few colleges can afford huge coach salaries and buildings that look like palaces. TV has influenced attendance where fans can stay home and see virtually all the games and avoid lousy stadiums, parking problems, over priced concessions, and bad weather. All that TV money has influenced players to want a piece of the action. Now teams that are not in the big money conferences want to get out and join in the even bigger money conferences. It all boils down to greed and TV funds it.
Right. Add NIL crap and we have a real mess.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
More articles—this time, UNC is the crown jewel of the conference

Now that FSU and Clemson are in the fold, go after UNC and try to blow up the ACC one member at a time. . Divide and conquer.
Interesting how UNC is a possible dissenter now that they don't have as much control of the ACC Office anymore. Their guy Swofford (former UNC player, former UNC AD) put this contract together after all. Of course this feeds their over rated ego.