Conference Realignment

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Sadly I think GT has been cornered into a position where the ACC surviving is our only shot at staying relevant. We need the ACC GoR to not be broken until we establish a better position, which is not happening anytime soon.
Not sure I want to see an ACC without FSU, Clemson, UNC and whomever else. The American would be a better conference than what is left.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Sadly I think GT has been cornered into a position where the ACC surviving is our only shot at staying relevant. We need the ACC GoR to not be broken until we establish a better position, which is not happening anytime soon.
If we make the playoffs and/or manage to have good tv numbers there is hope for us to potentially get a BIG invite. Our biggest issue is we haven’t been relevant in years. The last time we were actually ranked was 2016. Memories are short. Being ranked and having some buzz (pun intended) will help with tv ratings.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Why UVA and not us too? We have a better and bigger tv market, better football past and present, better tv numbers, and similar game attendance numbe

Really, your GT blinders are on that much? UVA is a state school, adjoining to already B1G members, incredible wealthy. rated higher academically than GT and an AAU member.

The BIG financial model is through linear Television subscription, which gives us our only shot, because the market of Atlanta is big, but the reality is that GT doesn't even bring that market. UGA dominates this state.

The only shot, is if B1G adds 4 and wants continual adjoining states down the east coast. Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida, and then I could see UVA, UNC, GT and Miami. I think the chances of that happening are less than 10%

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Also the husk of the ACC will have value with a playoff auto-bid and more money than the G5 gets. I don't think it would be a total collapse like the P12, it will just be a backfill with AAC schools (or P2 castoffs if we can stall long enough).

The private schools would love to add Tulane and Rice, and then UTSA and USF have market value.

For football potential only, UTSA/ECU/USF/Tulane/Memphis/UAB is your pool.

But I could see the morons on Tobacco Road talking themselves into something ridiculous like Charlotte/ECU/USF/FAU.

NoPlayCard

Georgia Tech Fan
Small chance that we get added as a defensive move. The next round of SEC expansion will likely be defensive in order to keep the B1g out of their footprint, especially states with population growth, fortune 500 companies, major TV markets, etc. States like Georgia, Virginia, Florida, and North Carolina would be at the top of that list.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Clemson files their own suit.

The short version of the complaint is “the contract does what we thought it did when we signed it, but we don’t like it now”

If this is a hoax, they fished me in, good. They filed in their home county, South Carolina
Just heard a news headline on the radio about Clemson also suing the ACC of GOR... what a bunch of whiners.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Really, your GT blinders are on that much? UVA is a state school, adjoining to already B1G members, incredible wealthy. rated higher academically than GT and an AAU member.

The BIG financial model is through linear Television subscription, which gives us our only shot, because the market of Atlanta is big, but the reality is that GT doesn't even bring that market. UGA dominates this state.

The only shot, is if B1G adds 4 and wants continual adjoining states down the east coast. Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida, and then I could see UVA, UNC, GT and Miami. I think the chances of that happening are less than 10%
We are talking about a Southeastern expansion here, why would being adjacent to other existing BIG members matter?

Does being a state school matter? Why? Are Michigan St, UCLA, Northwestern, Perdue the big state schools in their states?

will UVA be sharing their fabulous wealth with the BIG? Why does that matter?

Uva is #24, Tech is #33, both AAU, I think that’s a wash.

Gaining a new market brings them an increase for every tv/streaming subscriber with the Big10 channel in their package, it does not matter who the subscriber is a fan of. There are a lot of BIg10 alumni here also btw. Uva‘s market may actually overlap with Maryland.

It seems like you really are in love with UVA, I want you to know that it’s never too late to go back to school if that’s where your dreams lead you….

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I read the summary, but I just don't understand. Is the claim that the contract they willingly signed nonenforceable from the start? The whole point of the GOR was to prevent what Clemson is now trying to do, and they knowingly inked their signatures.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
We are talking about a Southeastern expansion here, why would being adjacent to other existing BIG members matter?

Does being a state school matter? Why? Are Michigan St, UCLA, Northwestern, Perdue the big state schools in their states?

will UVA be sharing their fabulous wealth with the BIG? Why does that matter?

Uva is #24, Tech is #33, both AAU, I think that’s a wash.

Gaining a new market brings them an increase for every tv/streaming subscriber with the Big10 channel in their package, it does not matter who the subscriber is a fan of. There are a lot of BIg10 alumni here also btw. Uva‘s market may actually overlap with Maryland.

It seems like you really are in love with UVA, I want you to know that it’s never too late to go back to school if that’s where your dreams lead yoou
You just don’t get it… and people like you are the reason Tech is in the position it is. Keep telling yourself how great you are as a tech man as we slip further into irrelevance.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
If we make the playoffs and/or manage to have good tv numbers there is hope for us to potentially get a BIG invite. Our biggest issue is we haven’t been relevant in years. The last time we were actually ranked was 2016. Memories are short. Being ranked and having some buzz (pun intended) will help with tv ratings.
"Playoffs" "who is talking about playoffs" (in my best Jim Mora voice)

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
We're not relevant now and haven't been for some years now in the CFB publics eyes based on comments I've been observing for some time now. I think you are going to be surprised in the future years how we become relevant. We've got something going for us that is attractive to people being in the 7th largest media Mkt ( and growing ) in the country. We're working to get ourselves relevant and the committment from the GT administration is bringing it all together. I've been watching GTFB for over 70 years and this is the most optimistic I've been since the mid 60s. We're entering a whole new world for a lot of GT fans that they have never experienced IMO. I'll probably be dead and gone before it all arrives just because of my age so you guys will need to see if what I am saying actually happens, although it's possible I may be around to see the beginnings of it all because we're there or at least very, very close.
In any case I'm ready for the ACC to break up and hope it moves quickly and every school gets in it's landing spot. Let the inevitable happen and move on with it all. I personally am optimistic about GT and it's future in CFB. With what I anticipate happening and I were a young CFB age player, GT would be my number one place to go play. I see tremendous opportunity ahead for those that have what it takes. As we know GT is not for everybody

Last edited:

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Also the husk of the ACC will have value with a playoff auto-bid and more money than the G5 gets. I don't think it would be a total collapse like the P12, it will just be a backfill with AAC schools (or P2 castoffs if we can stall long enough).

The private schools would love to add Tulane and Rice, and then UTSA and USF have market value.

For football potential only, UTSA/ECU/USF/Tulane/Memphis/UAB is your pool.

But I could see the morons on Tobacco Road talking themselves into something ridiculous like Charlotte/ECU/USF/FAU.
Do you realize what a crappy conference that would be? The TV contract would buy a ham sandwich and not much more.

slugboy

Staff member
I read the summary, but I just don't understand. Is the claim that the contract they willingly signed nonenforceable from the start? The whole point of the GOR was to prevent what Clemson is now trying to do, and they knowingly inked their signatures.
Reading the filing, their main argument is that the GOR is in excess of what’s needed for the ESPN contract, and it should co-terminate.

The other stuff looks like fluff

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Some will end up in the B1G. Some will end up in the SEC. The rest if you're in a good TV market and not a small private school will end up in the Big 12.

College sports sucks. Greed ruined it years ago. NIL, the portal, and mega-conferences all make college sports quite ****ty these days. I spend a whole lot less time and money on it.