Conference Realignment

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I am sure you are right on equal payout being on the way out. However, that should not be a fixed contract amount difference. It should be based on success. So give football teams a bigger split of a bowl/playoff amount, basketball based on how far they get in the tournament, etc. Maybe give 50% (or whatever is the right amount) of the actual payout to the school who is successful and the remainder goes into the general ACC pot. That means teams who strive for success get rewarded. But I am very against any formula which provides different payouts regardless of on the field success. The GOR TV money is not dependent on anything other than being part of the ACC, so why should that be skewed in any manner?
I am increasingly of the opinion that the NCAA should model after the England Premier League.

There are basically two leagues … Premier and Championship. Everyone earns two points for a win, none for a loss. The bottom three Premier League teams drop down, the top 3 Championship teams move up.

Differerentiate payouts by league, not by conference.

I’ve been watching the PGA-LIV issue and while I am not a fan of the Saudis, they are going to dramatically change the organization of professional golf and the myriad tours. Play better? Move up. Play worse? Move down. Simple.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Did we post this: https://www.espn.com/college-sports...ing-look-possible-expansion-commissioner-says ?

Rumors about evaluating Oregon and Washington. The problem that ESPN may not have more cash to hand out is probably keeping this from happening.
Rumor Central employees are working lots of overtime lately. Of course, I may be wrong about this, so take it for it's worth. It looks like the Big Ten will stand pat until they adjust to the addition of the two LA schools.

There's also a rumor Oregon is talking to the Big-12. Plus the Four Corners rumor. Phillips could start another by Liking an Oregon coach's Tweet (are they still Tweets?). Too many people with access to the Internet.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I am increasingly of the opinion that the NCAA should model after the England Premier League.

There are basically two leagues … Premier and Championship. Everyone earns two points for a win, none for a loss. The bottom three Premier League teams drop down, the top 3 Championship teams move up.

Differerentiate payouts by league, not by conference.

I’ve been watching the PGA-LIV issue and while I am not a fan of the Saudis, they are going to dramatically change the organization of professional golf and the myriad tours. Play better? Move up. Play worse? Move down. Simple.
An interesting concept. Perhaps the Saudis are the only entity with deep enough pockets to completely reform D1 college football? By chance, does anyone here know a Saudi prince?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep in mind NCAA has almost nothing to do with Div 1 football. Div 1 football is run by the conferences, particularly the P5.
The conferences would have to agree to an England Premier League type setup, not the NCAA, and it really isn't in the conferences best interests to do so.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind NCAA has almost nothing to do with Div 1 football. Div 1 football is run by the conferences, particularly the P5.
The conferences would have to agree to an England Premier League type setup, not the NCAA, and it really isn't in the conferences best interests to do so.
As long as conferences run college athletics, it will always be a tribal mess.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
An interesting concept. Perhaps the Saudis are the only entity with deep enough pockets to completely reform D1 college football? By chance, does anyone here know a Saudi prince?
I did 30 years ago when assigned to the US Military Training Mission in Riyadh. LOL. Long since lost connection.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
As long as conferences run college athletics, it will always be a tribal mess.
The conference system prevents other things that work well in US pro leagues too, like taxes on high spending going to revenue sharing programs, since the haves can operate much more freely from the have-nots.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

The conference system prevents other things that work well in US pro leagues too, like taxes on high spending going to revenue sharing programs, since the haves can operate much more freely from the have-nots.
There are some new players in town that could eventually hold some sway over the conferences. I outlined a possible future scenario in this post: https://gtswarm.com/threads/nil-tra...college-football-in-general.26262/post-952582

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
How much is ESPN saving by not paying the PAC contract anymore?

Apparently not enough to prevent the onslaught of layoffs they just went through. I honestly think, when it comes to TV contracts, that ESPN has jumped the shark and we will see things grow at a much slower pace going forward. Any future big deals will likely come from other networks trying to buy their way in.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Apparently not enough to prevent the onslaught of layoffs they just went through. I honestly think, when it comes to TV contracts, that ESPN has jumped the shark and we will see things grow at a much slower pace going forward. Any future big deals will likely come from other networks trying to buy their way in.
Sports betting?

slugboy

Staff member
Sports betting doesn't need to pay teams. They make money off the results regardless of the conference they play in.
They just want the game on the air, with an ad so that people know to bet with them (and that they’re still taking some bets through halftime)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
No real competition - just a monoply? I thought itsl has lots of competition for the 13$billion.
I seldom watch pro sports, but when i do i see all kinds of bet service ads on the TV.

My point was i think they dont adverstise on collge football and that could help w $.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
No real competition - just a monoply? I thought itsl has lots of competition for the 13$billion.
I seldom watch pro sports, but when i do i see all kinds of bet service ads on the TV.

My point was i think they dont adverstise on collge football and that could help w $.

College football isn't really good for serious bettors. Not enough parity these days. Professional leagues are where the money is to be made.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
College football isn't really good for serious bettors. Not enough parity these days. Professional leagues are where the money is to be made.
  1. ESPN gets spun out of Disney and goes bankrupt
  2. CFB programs across the country drowning in debt without the TV money
  3. Gambling companies swoop in but in exchange for giving schools/conferences new $$$ broadcast deals they insist on more actual parity-encouraging measures
The surprise anti-hero we didn't know we needed?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
  1. ESPN gets spun out of Disney and goes bankrupt
  2. CFB programs across the country drowning in debt without the TV money
  3. Gambling companies swoop in but in exchange for giving schools/conferences new $$$ broadcast deals they insist on more actual parity-encouraging measures
The surprise anti-hero we didn't know we needed?

1. I don't see ESPN going bankrupt. While they have overextended on TV contracts, there is still way too much demand for their product. There will be some lean years while they restructure their business model, but I think they will be around for the long haul.

2. This is a real possibility, especially for tier II P5 schools that have been trying to buy their way into the CFP discussion.

3. Can't see this happening at all, though it would be interesting.