Comparing Recruiting in GA to other States

RocketJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Hey guys, I recently decided to take a look at some recruiting data to see how Georgia(and Atlanta especially) stacks up against other states. What I found was pretty interesting so I wrote about it here:

http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/20...cruiting-analysis-part-i-the-state-of-georgia

I've decided to pick up writing things like this as a hobby, so please give any feedback you have on the content or writing of the article, and let me know what you'd like to see next!

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd love to see an analysis that takes state size into account. Of course California and Texas will produce a crapload of good recruits - they have a size advantage already. Florida may be an outlier in this respect, but they get the advantage of warm weather year-round so they can train more than the average player in the country.

BBK

Jolly Good Fellow
Enjoyed the article. Maybe you already did this and I missed it, but it would be interesting to see the best states for recruits after correcting for population. The states with a lot for the top recruits are also pretty large states, so it isn't an accurate measure of true talent.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Have you looked at number of recruits per number of high school football players in the state? I would find that interesting.

RocketJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd love to see an analysis that takes state size into account. Of course California and Texas will produce a crapload of good recruits - they have a size advantage already. Florida may be an outlier in this respect, but they get the advantage of warm weather year-round so they can train more than the average player in the country.

Sure thing! I can get an updated rankings based on population. It's definitely a interesting stat, but the reason I didn't look into this initially is because I wanted to look into where the big pools of talent were. Talent per capita doesn't necessarily give me a good idea of where those pools are. A state could have a population of 5 and have 2 top 250 recruits, but you still wouldn't be able to build a team recruiting that state. I think a better way of looking at it would be to normalize the number of top recruits by square mileage, and thus giving an idea of where the concentrations of top recruits are greatest. Washington, DC would do very well in this type of ranking, but wouldn't necessarily do as well in a population corrected rating.

Have you looked at number of recruits per number of high school football players in the state? I would find that interesting.

I didn't think of this, but that would be cool if I can find the numbers. It's probably pretty closely tied to population, but HS football is bigger in some states than others, so there may be more teams in some states. Could give a good idea of which states have the best HS competition.

RocketJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Here are the rankings corrected for population: The number next to the state is the number of Top250 recruits per state/territory per year per million people. DC is an outlier because of small population, private schools that attract talent inside the city, etc...
1 Washington DC 3.147
2 Louisiana 2.417
3 Florida 2.365
4 Georgia 2.296
5 Alabama 2.159
6 Georgia(Atlanta) 1.557
7 Mississippi 1.547
8 Texas 1.525
9 Virginia 1.356
10 Ohio 1.092

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Here are the rankings corrected for population: The number next to the state is the number of Top250 recruits per state/territory per year per million people. DC is an outlier because of small population, private schools that attract talent inside the city, etc...
1 Washington DC 3.147
2 Louisiana 2.417
3 Florida 2.365
4 Georgia 2.296
5 Alabama 2.159
6 Georgia(Atlanta) 1.557
7 Mississippi 1.547
8 Texas 1.525
9 Virginia 1.356
10 Ohio 1.092
In texas 40% of population is hispanic = football is soccer. Draw a north south line from 50 miles west of houston and go to okla. West Texas has very few top 250 while east Texas has many. Son has coached there for 15 years and has coached 2 nfl players and many dv 1. To get info look on "old smokie' east Texas recruiting site. Ga tech is well respected in texas.

1 Washington DC 3.147
2 Louisiana 2.417
3 Florida 2.365
4 Georgia 2.296
5 Alabama 2.159
6 Georgia(Atlanta) 1.557
7 Mississippi 1.547
8 Texas 1.525
9 Virginia 1.356
10 Ohio 1.092

Since inclusion in the Top 250 is somewhat subjective, doesn't that throw the entire analysis off kilter?
In texas 40% of population is hispanic = football is soccer. Draw a north south line from 50 miles west of houston and go to okla. West Texas has very few top 250 while east Texas has many. Son has coached there for 15 years and has coached 2 nfl players and many dv 1. To get info look on "old smokie' east Texas recruiting site. Ga tech is well respected in texas.

Is that because we run an offense strangely reminiscent of the wishbone of Texas and Houston fame? We don't get many Texans to the Flats, though.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Hey guys, I recently decided to take a look at some recruiting data to see how Georgia(and Atlanta especially) stacks up against other states. What I found was pretty interesting so I wrote about it here:

http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/20...cruiting-analysis-part-i-the-state-of-georgia

I've decided to pick up writing things like this as a hobby, so please give any feedback you have on the content or writing of the article, and let me know what you'd like to see next!
Off topic a bit, but I wonder if skill position recruiting anywhere would be any better if Johnson began referring to "slot backs" and "full backs" vs. A and B. And if the perception of it, still in some quarters, as a "gimmick offense" is not heightened by the nomenclature? I get it, and somebody on this board explained it. I just wonder about the efficacy of it all, and it must be hard to sit down with players and parents and explain it to them to keep them interested, since they are not going to a message board for an explanation.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think if we stick with our current recruiting strategy, we'll obviously see a concentration of recruiting in Georgia, Alabama and Florida. Proximity makes sense. After that, though, it scatters a bit. I think the northeast states will continue to be a decent hunting ground because of the proliferation of private schools. By northeast, anything from North Carolina up comes to mind.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer