Comcast agrees to deal with ACC network

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I am using Comcast and Hulu so this makes me happy as well. It will be interesting to see what happens on the Bally front. The rumor is $29 per month for a standalone streaming service. Their advantage in the Atlanta area is they carry most of the Braves, Hawks and Atlanta United games. If you follow those teams, you will need to subscribe or not watch most of their games. I know based on that, Bally (Sinclair) renegotiated the Braves TV deal. In terms of ACC games, I don't know what commitment they have made to Bally. But there aren't a lot of free choices these days. It would take some creative and the willingness of other networks to spend money to show ACC games. Everything is so partner oriented, not sure who would invest. Time Warner does have a lot of channels but not sure how much they invest in sports (other than the NBA).

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
This is the big news that I have been waiting for. This is going to increase the coffers for all the ACC teams. The ACC will solidify its number 3 position in revenue.
Here are the stats from US Today for FY2020 (probably been posted before).

1. Big Ten: $54.3 million
2. SEC: $45.5 million
3. Big 12: ~$38 million
4. Pac-12: $33.6 million
5. ACC: ~$33 million

If the 100MM for Comcast is correct (and not sure if anyone has that number since this contract just got signed and no idea how they split out the revenue with so many channels involved), that would be 7MM per team which puts the ACC at about 40MM each. I am sure the other conferences have due dates with major providers coming due down the road. The SEC could easily get to 65-70MM with the addition of Texas and Oklahoma and their dominance in football. The Big Ten will certainly go up and I would guess the Pac-12 as well. Both are also big on Fox which is in direct competition for College Football with ESPN. The only conference which will fight to go up will be the Big 12. So let's assume the ACC, Pac 12 and maybe Big 12 remain around 40MM per year. That would still put us 25-30MM below the SEC and at least 20MM below the Big Ten. That is a lot of revenue to make up. Particularly when you factor in the stadium capacity of the teams in the SEC and Big Ten.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Here are the stats from US Today for FY2020 (probably been posted before).

1. Big Ten: $54.3 million
2. SEC: $45.5 million
3. Big 12: ~$38 million
4. Pac-12: $33.6 million
5. ACC: ~$33 million

If the 100MM for Comcast is correct (and not sure if anyone has that number since this contract just got signed and no idea how they split out the revenue with so many channels involved), that would be 7MM per team which puts the ACC at about 40MM each. I am sure the other conferences have due dates with major providers coming due down the road. The SEC could easily get to 65-70MM with the addition of Texas and Oklahoma and their dominance in football. The Big Ten will certainly go up and I would guess the Pac-12 as well. Both are also big on Fox which is in direct competition for College Football with ESPN. The only conference which will fight to go up will be the Big 12. So let's assume the ACC, Pac 12 and maybe Big 12 remain around 40MM per year. That would still put us 25-30MM below the SEC and at least 20MM below the Big Ten. That is a lot of revenue to make up. Particularly when you factor in the stadium capacity of the teams in the SEC and Big Ten.
I've accepted that the $$$ in college sports are leaving Tech and the ACC behind.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
My strong suspicion is this will dramatically change if they evolve to a 12 team playoff. The SEC and Big 10 will demand a bigger part of the pie.
Agreed. The ACC has to be afraid of the proposed playoff expansion. It’s essentially guaranteeing the SEC at minimum four spots each year.