Collins says players have 'chip on their shoulder'

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Ah. The Turkies might say we got our own back in 2018. Let's take a look:

Now after watching that I sure do wish somebody could tell me why Tobias ended up as a DB instead of an RB? The only person on the Tech team in the last three years who put in a running performance like that was Gibbs. But … Collins didn't recruit him so I suppose he couldn't do what he did best to help us win. I wish I had a better explanation, but …

Update: Well, it could have been because he liked Mason better that first year. Have to be fair here. Then Gibbs put an end to the question.

Diminishing returns. Putting TO in the RB room that was already very stacked would have just meant more talent going to waste. WR would have been best if he could catch imo, we needed a lot more help there. I wish he hadn't been bounced around, but iiwii

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Lol

Attachments

• 2811BAF5-647B-4CED-BB1A-80CBFB8E5BB1.png
    2811BAF5-647B-4CED-BB1A-80CBFB8E5BB1.png
    616 KB · Views: 109

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
We need less hype and more football... to paraphrase... I.e. We need a boatload more wins.
Yeah. That UGA game where they did pushups and weight lifting on the field and acting like idiots only to get so completely beat down...well, that was the peak of embarrassment. My UGA backing friends were giddy over that, as they should have been. I think they even felt sorry for me, which was even more hurtful and embarrassing.
Good programs and coaches don't hype, they usually down play and just freaking play good, hard, winning football. I'd rather have a gloomy CPJ and win most games than a cheery CGC and get slaughtered every other week. Sadly, CGC makes CPJ look like Bobby Dodd in comparison. Aren't we due for an actual GOOD HC that hires good OC/DC? It's been a while.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
Hate to say this but he looked defeated in ACC Media Days. Not sure if this is a fake front he is putting on but he looks and sounds defeated already
He should look defeated. His first priority has been a dismal failure. Admittedly his lesser priorities have been solid, like helping players outside of football (school, personal), stirring up more interest in GT football (though losing will destroy any gains). We can only hope for a real turn around this year, not getting destroyed in ANY game would be a good start, like actually hanging around with UGA and Clemson (they'll be better after moving on from horrible QB). I feel like UGA will be 50 point beatdown at minimum and if so, he hasn't made any gains.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. That UGA game where they did pushups and weight lifting on the field and acting like idiots only to get so completely beat down...well, that was the peak of embarrassment. My UGA backing friends were giddy over that, as they should have been. I think they even felt sorry for me, which was even more hurtful and embarrassing.
Good programs and coaches don't hype, they usually down play and just freaking play good, hard, winning football. I'd rather have a gloomy CPJ and win most games than a cheery CGC and get slaughtered every other week. Sadly, CGC makes CPJ look like Bobby Dodd in comparison. Aren't we due for an actual GOOD HC that hires good OC/DC? It's been a while.
You should probably spend about 3 months reading the last 3 years of posts in the football forum before you come in here and toss this out there. It's been hashed, rehashed, and threehashed.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Anger rather than interest, Augie. Big talkers and sloganizers who can’t deliver infuriate me, and from what I’ve seen on this board, I’m not alone.
Just to elucidate further. I learned in my clinical training almost 40 years ago how to spot a con artist. The way CGC carried on when he first got here raised all my red flags. But I’ve never not pulled for a Tech coach. Never. So I overrode my training and experience to root for Collins. He said and did a few things that I liked so I focused on those. Unfortunately the actual coaching and the actual record of wins and losses has me second guessing myself again. If he were any other person and not a Tech coach I would not give him the time of day. So I’m kind of stuck, still wanting him to succeed but still wondering if I’m being played for a sucker.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
He should look defeated. His first priority has been a dismal failure. Admittedly his lesser priorities have been solid, like helping players outside of football (school, personal), stirring up more interest in GT football (though losing will destroy any gains). We can only hope for a real turn around this year, not getting destroyed in ANY game would be a good start, like actually hanging around with UGA and Clemson (they'll be better after moving on from horrible QB). I feel like UGA will be 50 point beatdown at minimum and if so, he hasn't made any gains.
The Clemson game was 14-8, and we were going in for the potential tying score in the last minute but a block was missed. I'd call that hanging around.

Can you name the starting OL for the UGA game? If you can, then maybe you can connect the dots between the performance in the Clemson game and the performance in the UGA game. Maybe you can also understand that the lack of OL depth last year had a lot more to do with what the last staff left behind than any failure by Collins. It takes more than 2 years of recruiting to rebuild a program, especially at the line of scrimmage.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I admit that I get frustrated with the lack of football knowledge on this board, and more specifically, the lack of knowledge about the Tech football program.

One the points of frustration is the lack of knowledge about what a head coach does at this level of football. This is not your high school coach doing almost everything. There are 10 on field assistants and a lot of support staff--including analysts.

Many of the comments on this board about coaching could be cured through education. Take some time and notice that we have 7 (70%) new assistants. Learn about them. For me personally, only one of the seven do I have a question about, but the players seem to like him.

Do you know who Jim Chaney is? If you don't, read his Wiki page. That's a good place to start your education about GT Football 2022 and how this is a new day from a coaching perspective.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
So, now we have guys posting about ignoring others and posters telling us that retreads like Chaney are gonna turn Collins around. Collins hired Chaney for one reason - to keep the fraternity going so Chaney will help him land a job next year.

Knoxknight

Georgia Tech Fan
Feeling that there might be something different with this team this year. Maybe the "chip on their shoulder" will create a growing confidence, an extra ingredient. Hoping for a measure of success this year..

ScGold

Banned
Do it instead of talking. Ge Off made the comment he was going to be more hands on this year. Really? What a joke. This guy is a glorified db coach. Get the search committee ready to get to work.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s July 31st. Pray tell, what do you expect him to “do” right now instead of talking?
If he wants to see GT succeed what he should be doing is nothing but recruiting. Leave the practice sessions to the real coaches. Let Long run the offense and let Tillman run the defense. It’s that simple. Any coaching or preseason prep by Collins should be ignored. We saw in full view what Collins was capable of in game 1 last year.