Collins report card after 2 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We won 3 more games than the “experts” predicted we’d win. In 4 other games we were within 1 score in the 4th quarter. Offensive statistics grew 50% this year.
In year’s past, when Tech would win more games than the “experts” predicted, it was because of the wonderful job the coaching staff had done “coaching up” the team. It seems like this year however, everyone is completely ignoring the fact that Tech was picked to finish last in the ACC and not win a single game.

That means we have 3 possible scenarios
  1. The ACC and national media writers, and coaches, have a very strong bias against Tech for some reason
  2. Coach Collins and his staff did a great job coaching this year and exceeded everyone’s expectations
  3. Previous coaching staffs weren’t outperforming everyone’s expectations or talent nearly as much as some would like to think
Having 3 more wins than the preseason polls suggest is not an insignificant number, whether the expectations are 0 or 6 wins. The truth is that both this year’s team, and last year’s team would probably not have won very many more games with any coaching staff in America. There’s probably only 2 games over the last 2 years that were truly blown opportunities for wins, and everyone knows what those are. Another truth is that CGC has a better record against Duke in his first 2 years than CPJ did in his last 2 :cigar:

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
This question really just depends on how much you value the recruiting he has already done. The on the field results have been pretty horrific so far. For me personally, it's a D.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I would give him a C-.... it would be worse but with the good recruiting I give him a passing grade . I know this is a huge transition & he’s putting square pegs in round holes by using 3option players for his system , but if I had told you when we hired him that after his first 2 years he’d have won 6 games combined we’d all be disappointed ! I know the season isn’t technically over but we have about as much of a chance playing pick up sticks with our butt cheeks as we do beating Miami ! And the excuses he’s making after games is getting old

You aren't grading Collins. You are grading Paul Johnson's recruiting. People who believe Vince Lombardi could have a winning record the past two years with our talent base are ridiculous.

I posted awhile back to look at the records of Curry, Ross and O'Leary their first two years and compare the first two years with their later record.

Most of the people on this thread would fire Ross or O'Leary after two years. And people can say what they want about Curry, but Alabama hired Curry. He did fine, but couldn't beat a cheating Auburn program.

Paul Johnson drove this program into the ground with poor recruiting, then said "I quit." That's the problem, and not Geoff Collins.

If this goes on by Collins' fourth year, I will agree with bad grades and making some changes. But for now, you are grading Johnson's recruiting.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion, Collins still has not proven that he is a good head coach. Our two previous coaches were proven winners before they got to Tech. All the hype and "Juice" stuff is cool but you got to win games. It looks like back to back 3 win seasons. Collins gets an F.

Our two previous coaches had NOT proven they we "proven winners" at the P5 level. Collins has been a DC at P5 programs (MSU and UF) which were winning programs. Collins' resume on the P5 level far, far, far, far exceeds the previous two coaches--because neither of them had any experience at this level. Collins knows what it takes to win at this level. Give him time to get his recruits and his staff in place.

Judging him at this point in time is unfair---and absurd--and actually shows a misunderstanding of how major college football works. Fortunately, our AD does know. which is why Collins has a 7 year contract.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Right now , I give him ( and his staff ) a C with the "curve". When they are compared to other teams with relatively new staffs, Tech is in the middle. Better than FSU and
( currently) Louisvllle, but not as good as Miami or BC. Granted each coach has different circumstances, but I think these are the teams we should compare ourselves with at this time. IMO, Diaz and Hafley made very smart decisions early on at their respective schools: Diaz brought in Lashlee as new OC after their horrible first year. And, Hafley brought in respected offensive and defensive coordinators with successful NFL records ( especially Cignetti as OC ) and it shows in the improvement Miami made over year one, and BC has made over the course of this year. It remains to be seen if CGC will make any moves this offseason, but IMO he should think long and hard about it. I worry about the non physical parts of the game, where we seem to be making little progress - penalties, eye discipline, pursuit angles, clock management, etc.
And none of them were transitioning from the TO to a different offense and the talent base created by trying to recruit to the TO.

Jmonty71

Banned
I would give him a C-.... it would be worse but with the good recruiting I give him a passing grade . I know this is a huge transition & he’s putting square pegs in round holes by using 3option players for his system , but if I had told you when we hired him that after his first 2 years he’d have won 6 games combined we’d all be disappointed ! I know the season isn’t technically over but we have about as much of a chance playing pick up sticks with our butt cheeks as we do beating Miami ! And the excuses he’s making after games is getting old
2 grades

B for recruiting

F for game management and in game coaching.

He talks a big game, but can't back it up.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
RequiredCharmingElephant-size_restricted.gif

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Our two previous coaches had NOT proven they we "proven winners" at the P5 level. Collins has been a DC at P5 programs (MSU and UF) which were winning programs. Collins' resume on the P5 level far, far, far, far exceeds the previous two coaches--because neither of them had any experience at this level. Collins knows what it takes to win at this level. Give him time to get his recruits and his staff in place.

Judging him at this point in time is unfair---and absurd--and actually shows a misunderstanding of how major college football works. Fortunately, our AD does know. which is why Collins has a 7 year contract.
I disagree. I value Gailey's and Johnson's experience as championship winning head coaches more than Collins DC experience. Yes I know Gailey and Johnson weren't in the P5 but they were proven championship winning head coaches at a highly competitive level. Collins really didn't win anything significant as the head coach at Temple. And so far, here he has only won 6 games. I understand recruiting is important but you have to be able to coach too.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We won 3 more games than the “experts” predicted we’d win. In 4 other games we were within 1 score in the 4th quarter. Offensive statistics grew 50% this year.

Who picked us to win 0 games? Almost every one I've looked at said we would win 2-3 games. Almost all of them picked us to finish last, but picking us last is not predicting 0 wins.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
To grade Collins, you have to take into account the staff as well. These are the areas I think the coaching staff is failing.

The place kicking kicking game is embarrassing. At the game last night, our gunners ran past the ball on every kick off. Must be under control. I think I have seen mistakes I have rarely or ever seen. Fielding punts inside the 5 yard line. Fumbling a punt into the endzone for a touchdown for the other team after the punt was over your head. Fielding a kickoff straddling the sideline. These are the types of plays the coaches must "coach".

It is year two and there is no reliable place kicker.

Penalties before the snap and after the whistle used to be offensives that a player received some sort of discipline. I have no idea what Collins does, but those mistakes are so costly and have not yet been addressed, although last night I do not think we had any false starts. But in previous games the false starts were drive killers.

Tackling. Are the players not coached to wrap up? "Flying around the field" is only good if you make the tackle when you get there. Making contact without coming up with something whether it is a shoelace or someone's hair, get a hold of something.

The defensive backfield is a mess. I get the defensive line is not the greatest, but so many blown coverages. Last night I could see lots of confusion after the play. Players trying to find figure out who blew the coverage. And my big pet peeve, turn and find the ball.

Tech is dead last in total defense in the ACC.

I agree with others that the offense is improved over last year. The offensive line play this year is improved which I think is the biggest difference. (false starts ruin too many platitudes)

Another first was going for two after a 15 yard penalty, and throwing underneath. Not sure what the coaches were thinking last night...

Collins told us he was going to a bowl this year. I wonder what grade he would give himself?

This is a covid year . So will not flunk the staff, but will give a D, which is what I think Collins would give himself. I hope year 3 is like the Ross year 3 and the team makes great strides.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Recruiting is much more important than coaching. Secretariat could win the Kentucky Derby with a 250# jockey, but a mule could never win it.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
To grade Collins, you have to take into account the staff as well. These are the areas I think the coaching staff is failing.

The place kicking kicking game is embarrassing. At the game last night, our gunners ran past the ball on every kick off. Must be under control. I think I have seen mistakes I have rarely or ever seen. Fielding punts inside the 5 yard line. Fumbling a punt into the endzone for a touchdown for the other team after the punt was over your head. Fielding a kickoff straddling the sideline. These are the types of plays the coaches must "coach".

It is year two and there is no reliable place kicker.

Penalties before the snap and after the whistle used to be offensives that a player received some sort of discipline. I have no idea what Collins does, but those mistakes are so costly and have not yet been addressed, although last night I do not think we had any false starts. But in previous games the false starts were drive killers.

Tackling. Are the players not coached to wrap up? "Flying around the field" is only good if you make the tackle when you get there. Making contact without coming up with something whether it is a shoelace or someone's hair, get a hold of something.

The defensive backfield is a mess. I get the defensive line is not the greatest, but so many blown coverages. Last night I could see lots of confusion after the play. Players trying to find figure out who blew the coverage. And my big pet peeve, turn and find the ball.

Tech is dead last in total defense in the ACC.

I agree with others that the offense is improved over last year. The offensive line play this year is improved which I think is the biggest difference. (false starts ruin too many platitudes)

Another first was going for two after a 15 yard penalty, and throwing underneath. Not sure what the coaches were thinking last night...

Collins told us he was going to a bowl this year. I wonder what grade he would give himself?

This is a covid year . So will not flunk the staff, but will give a D, which is what I think Collins would give himself. I hope year 3 is like the Ross year 3 and the team makes great stride
He constantly chasing points when they are 10 or more points down. The extra points always come to roost almost 4 games this season it really mattered . Went for 2 6 to 8 times I remember.

Deleted member 2897

Who picked us to win 0 games? Almost every one I've looked at said we would win 2-3 games. Almost all of them picked us to finish last, but picking us last is not predicting 0 wins.

The ACC Sports Media. There are videos out there of some folks who had 1-10 with a win over Duke. But that’s what last place in the ACC is - either 0 wins or 1 win.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Those of you high on CGC... what do you think the ceiling is for this team under his regime?

Perennial 6-8 wins (good to better than good)?
OR
Cracking into elite status (competing with Clemson & UGA) & winning ACC titles... making playoffs?
OR
somewhere in-between?
The ceiling? Auburn. Consistently win 8-9. Rattle off 10+ every couple of years. Have some pretty miserable years every so often. Dark horse to get into the CFP.

Auburn’s gotta play UGA and Alabama every year. Tech has UGA and Clemson. But, Tech has an advantage in that we can lose both of those regular season games, and still win the conference. If Auburn loses to both Alabama and Georgia, they’ve got virtually no shot to get into the SECCG. I just don’t think it’s feasible to think Tech will ever become a “powerhouse” with expectations to get into the CFP every year, but I do think there’s reason to believe Tech should be in the conversation for the Coastal title almost every year, and to win the Coastal at least once over a 4-5 year period.

I think that’s the ceiling for Tech regardless of who’s coaching though. And I do think Collins has the potential to get there. The biggest obstacle is funding. He really needs to get to a bowl game next year to win back some of the fans that may be a little apathetic or uninterested after these last 2 years. 6 wins + a bowl game next year and I think we’ll see the Geoff Collins era at Georgia Tech start to take shape.

Deleted member 2897

I really don't care about what the so called experts predicted. 3 wins is not good.

You remind me of those Mechanics of Solids professors who knew more than everyone else, and it didn’t matter what you did - half the class got an F.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
And none of them were transitioning from the TO to a different offense and the talent base created by trying to recruit to the TO.
Never denied that. How does that explain the defense ? And special teams ? And practically leading the country in penalties ? I think you are selling them short. They can't learn some different techniques AFTER 2 YEARS ? I am certainly not expecting us to be fully competitive after 2 years. But the Offense is the only improvement of any significance. The D and Special teams are arguably no better, and some games even worse. I don't doubt the effort of the players, but IMO something is lacking in several coaching positions. Next year will be crucial to show an improved record. At least 2 more wins, IMO.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The ceiling? Auburn. Consistently win 8-9. Rattle off 10+ every couple of years. Have some pretty miserable years every so often. Dark horse to get into the CFP.

Auburn’s gotta play UGA and Alabama every year. Tech has UGA and Clemson. But, Tech has an advantage in that we can lose both of those regular season games, and still win the conference. If Auburn loses to both Alabama and Georgia, they’ve got virtually no shot to get into the SECCG. I just don’t think it’s feasible to think Tech will ever become a “powerhouse” with expectations to get into the CFP every year, but I do think there’s reason to believe Tech should be in the conversation for the Coastal title almost every year, and to win the Coastal at least once over a 4-5 year period.

I think that’s the ceiling for Tech regardless of who’s coaching though. And I do think Collins has the potential to get there. The biggest obstacle is funding. He really needs to get to a bowl game next year to win back some of the fans that may be a little apathetic or uninterested after these last 2 years. 6 wins + a bowl game next year and I think we’ll see the Geoff Collins era at Georgia Tech start to take shape.
Thanks for the thoughtful response. I hope you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.