Collins report card after 2 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I also don’t believe Geoff is a “Tech Man”. He’s a Geoff-Man. And when he sees he can make oodles of money at an underperforming SEC school after modest success at Tech ... I think he’ll go.

actually, that would be a success in my mind. I want him to do well enough here that he is an attractive candidate for any SEC school. I also think in today's world there is a very limited shelf life at 1 school for any coach outside of Dabo or Saban.

ETA: isn't that the way we managed/are managing our own careers? Doing well in one's current position gave/gives us other opportunities, whether we chose/choose to pursue them or not. I always wanted to be asked, even if I wasn't interested.

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
actually, that would be a success in my mind. I want him to do well enough here that he is an attractive candidate for any SEC school. I also think in today's world there is a very limited shelf life at 1 school for any coach outside of Dabo or Saban.

Dabo and Saban would get stale quick if they stop getting into the playoffs routinely.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I mean if a coach isn't sought after, it's kind of that way for a reason.

Thiat is one of those times where it would be a good problem to have.

Deleted member 2897

Gotcha. You were making assumptions that finishing last equalled 0 wins. I also never said you could win three games and finish last. I said you could finish last with 2 wins. What I did say was that EVERYONE I saw had us pegged for two or three wins, not ), as you alluded tot when you said we had three more wins than the experts (plural) predicted for us. I simply asked which expert predicted 0, and you've yet to furnish one.

False.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think next year is huge for which way the program goes under Collins. Between young roster, lack of preparation due to Covid and still going through the transition on offense, all are major issues. However next year should be back to close to normal health wise and at some point youth and transition gets stale. Worried about transfer...particularly Brown and how many more who aren't playing or losing..and weaker recruiting class. I don't think either coordinator is above average or leveraging their personnel effectively. Next year needs to be at least five hundred and a bowl or I think the already weak season ticket base and funding will go way downhill.

GT_EE78

Banned
"...Defense: Less of a step up than I was expecting, but still an improvement....."

Opp Pts/G: 36.8 (113th of 127)

Are you on medication? ...almost 40 per game is an improvement?

All the arguments on this site about Paul's TO vs Geoff's "what-ever-it-is" and our defense is giving up 40 per game.... Do you folks ever watch, you know, real football?
how can a staff take a team with talent composite ranked #37 to perform at 113 of 127?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
"...Defense: Less of a step up than I was expecting, but still an improvement....."

Opp Pts/G: 36.8 (113th of 127)

Are you on medication? ...almost 40 per game is an improvement?

All the arguments on this site about Paul's TO vs Geoff's "what-ever-it-is" and our defense is giving up 40 per game.... Do you folks ever watch, you know, real football?

How many of those points were the result of offensive turnovers? Did you also notice we are near the bottom in turnovers, largely because of a true freshman QB? The Syracuse game is the main example--the defense was playing on a short field due to turnovers. Against Pitt, the D was on the field for 38 minutes because the offense could not sustain drives.

Do you watch real football or just abstract a single stat that backs up your reason to not like this staff?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'll give CGC a solid D through 2 seasons. As a season ticket holder, these last 2 seasons haven't been fun at all. However, I think he deserves through 2022 to get at least 8 wins, but if he can't get at least 6 in 2021, his seat will be getting warm.
+1

Been a season tick holder for a good long while. And attended many many games prior to becoming a season ticket holder. The last few years have been very disappointing, specifically the last two.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
By coaches running the schemes they know and are comfortable with vs. Adjusting to the personnel they have. Though I hate New England, they have tried to adjust to their QB transition and called dramatically different plays on offense. The goal of every coach should be to maximize the strengths of each of their players. I have seen too many breakdowns on both sides of the ball to feel that is happening.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I heard an interesting story about Lou Holtz. Soon after taking over at South Carolina, he was playing in a celebrity pro-am golf tournament. After a few holes, the pro asked Holtz how South Carolina looked for the upcoming season.

Holtz quipped, “We have a number of fine gentlemen on our our team. And not a single one of them is an athlete. But we’ll fix that.”

Holtz went 0-11 that year. And 8-4 the next.

Can Geoff do that? No. We won’t be 8-4 next year. I do believe that’s our ceiling though.

I also don’t believe Geoff is a “Tech Man”. He’s a Geoff-Man. And when he sees he can make oodles of money at an underperforming SEC school after modest success at Tech ... I think he’ll go.

As to his grade? I would give him a C: Let’s divide that into a) Recruiting players and athletic/academic performance, b) Developing to a scheme, c) Game management and results, d) Football operations, and e) Fundraising.

Recruiting: A (Not perfect, but better than his predecessor)
Development: F (Do we even have a theory of the game?)
Game management: D (Who is is role model here, Butch Jones?)
Football operations: C (He is doing things his way but ... see next)
Fundraising: F (He is pissing over donors who don’t agree with his opinion.)

12 points. That’s a 2.4, C.
Am I missing something?
A=4
B=3
F=0

Your grades would be 4+0+1+2+0= 7

7/5 = 1.4 a D or D-

😊

Status
Not open for further replies.