Collins’ salary 56th among FBS coaches USA Today Report

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
We’re probably 15 years away from not being a part of major college football if this trend continues. Doesn’t matter who the coach is. We do not have the $$$$ and most alum have made it clear they don’t care to donate.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
What we fail to realize is a big portion of the $ comes from us. We choose to blame the world and NCAA though, Poor Lil’ Georgia Tech, it’s just not fair...
Well UGA has pretty much twice as many undergrad students. I get it GT produces millionaires but that is offset and more by class sizes.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
We’re probably 15 years away from not being a part of major college football if this trend continues. Doesn’t matter who the coach is. We do not have the $$$$ and most alum have made it clear they don’t care to donate.
Makes you wonder how we raised $50 million more than our goal of 125 million for the Athletics Initiative 2020. We have the money we just have had AD's that have no idea how to spend it

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
True to a certain extent - But you at least need to be competitive with your peers and not pay out the least in your own conference. We are so far behind I don't know if we can even get back to average for a P5 school.
I’m not sure we are that far behind. Behind the top, yes. But let the season play out and I’m guessing we are middle of the pack.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry I hurt your feelings. Been going to Tech games for 45 years. I prefer winning to what we’ve been doing the last few years. Troll? Grow up. Geez.

Sorry. He’s the most elite coach in the world with the most elite staff and let’s got eat some waffles. I’ve already got my Waffle House cup on the sideline. Is that better? 😂😂
You have to say positive things on here about the coaches lol

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I’m just confused honestly. We got a Unproven up and coming hire, we’re we supposed to break the bank? It’s not feasible to say Collins contract is similar to what someone like Tony Elliots would’ve been here.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Collins's salary is ok to start. It's a "show me* contract on the salary side, but the length and buyout terms make up for that.

We are not paying market rates for assistants outside of Key and that will have to change at some point.
It's not about what Collins gets. The issue is our assistant's pay. Per the AJC: "Defensive coordinator Andrew Thacker ($450,000) was 212th among all assistants and tied for 31st among ACC coaches in total pay, while offensive coordinator Dave Patenaude ($400,000) was 257th overall and 41st in the ACC."

How long do you think we will keep Choice? Some school will come and say we will double or triple you pay, come on over. He will and who could blame him. We almost lost Key last Spring to USC East and he is by far our highest paid assistant but comes in at 114th among FBS assistants and 14th among ACC assistant coaches.

Anyone who thinks this isn't a real and long term issue is missing the point. It's not about Collins, it's about the GT Football program's viability going forward.
I’m just confused honestly. We got a Unproven up and coming hire, we’re we supposed to break the bank? It’s not feasible to say Collins contract is similar to what someone like Tony Elliots would’ve been here.
Just curious, how is Elliot doing this year without Lawrence or Watson at QB. Were you willing to spend more on him than Collins and his staff?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It's not about what Collins gets. The issue is our assistant's pay. Per the AJC: "Defensive coordinator Andrew Thacker ($450,000) was 212th among all assistants and tied for 31st among ACC coaches in total pay, while offensive coordinator Dave Patenaude ($400,000) was 257th overall and 41st in the ACC."

How long do you think we will keep Choice? Some school will come and say we will double or triple you pay, come on over. He will and who could blame him. We almost lost Key last Spring to USC East and he is by far our highest paid assistant but comes in at 114th among FBS assistants and 14th among ACC assistant coaches.

Anyone who thinks this isn't a real and long term issue is missing the point. It's not about Collins, it's about the GT Football program's viability going forward.

Just curious, how is Elliot doing this year without Lawrence or Watson at QB. Were you willing to spend more on him than Collins and his staff?

Let's see - Clemson 20.5 ppg / GT 28.5 ppg. Total yards per game - Clemson 322 / GT 400. Yup Elliot is the offensive genius! Well maybe not and talent actually matters!

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer

It’s not a Collins vs Elliot debate. It’s a We didn’t have to pay Collins a lot so we didn’t discussion.

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins and his agent had to have known this before signing the contract. If anything, this was TStan saying "hey, here it is, but you need to really prove something with this turnaround before I hand out the big bucks." I just really don't find this surprising. We have a coaching staff that really hasn't proved much in their past jobs to shell out big money. Coach Key should have left if he wanted more money, but he wants to be a Tech. With so many complaining about the jobs of the coaches, why are we complaining about their pay? There weren't many wanting to take on this rebuild even if we threw out a ton of money in contracts we probably couldn't really afford.

We are getting a lot out of the Collins experience right now and we have seen more of a commitment towards the program. I hope Collins turns it around, but it is hard to say. I think the worst thing we can do is fire him until after year 5. We will have a full solidly recruited program that won't be such a drastic turnover as what Collins faced.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Also, Collins’ buyout is nothing like Jimbo Fisher’s $95.6 MM buyout
Who just beat Bama. And A&M is the poster child for crazy money in Power 5 football.

Obviously this staff is not highly paid. I contend they are fairly paid for the experience they bring. If this staff shows it can develop players and create a winning team, I hope Tech will reward them with salary increases.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Who just beat Bama. And A&M is the poster child for crazy money in Power 5 football.

Obviously this staff is not highly paid. I contend they are fairly paid for the experience they bring. If this staff shows it can develop players and create a winning team, I hope Tech will reward them with salary increases.
There is a difference in "not being overpaid" and having a appropriately paid staff that has near zero P5 experience. That's our staff. It shows on the field, don't you think?

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
There is a difference in "not being overpaid" and having a appropriately paid staff that has near zero P5 experience. That's our staff. It shows on the field, don't you think?
How are you defining "appropriately paid"? Are you suggesting we should pay G5 salaries for a P5 program simply because their experience is G5?

That seems dumb to me but I'm open to out of the box thinking

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
No, but you go ahead and keep pushing that narrative that denigrates our team.
How does this denigrate our team?

Fact we have a staff with near zero P5 coaching experience. Fact we pay our staff at the bottom level in the ACC and of all P5 teams. Does the on field performance reflect a coaching staff that has little to no experience at the P5 level? I believe the inconsistency we show is reflected as a result of the coaching staff's inexperience. Hopefully the staff will mature and develop as they gain experience.

If we don't solve our revenue problem we will always be dealing with this problem.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Collins was not a highly sought after head coaching candidate when GT hired him. Actually, there was the opinion GT could have done better. Head coaching salaries are public information. If CGC and his agent were not happy with the salary, they could have just sadi "NO" to GT. They didn't because they knew their situation and the opportunity GT would provide. If CGC starts winning and gets to 9+ wins a season, he will either get a raise naturally through TStan and GT, or he'll get one from the market by moving on to another school willing to pay more for him.

Anyone making an issue of this is just being silly.