Collins’ salary 56th among FBS coaches USA Today Report

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This maybe the wrong board but I don’t understand the CGC needs to be Dabo stuff. I get the corkiness trying to play to recruits. CGC was a broyles award winning DC who if things don’t turn around will get another major DC job whereas Dabo was a WR coach before being promoted. Tech is also very different from Clemson. They have a bigger stadium, more students, and have always had a higher recruiting ceiling because South Carolina ≠ UGA. Just not a comparison that makes a lot of sense to me.
I think the comparison is the rah-rah, are we having fun, work the process, love is the answer approach they both came in with. Similar enough that you could say they both have the same philosophy of coaching.

Dabo appeared to be a miserable coach in over his head until he wasn’t. Many are hoping that comparison also applies.

Finally, there is where Clemson was financially when Dabo arrived to where they are now.

The comparison is just a shorthand way of describing what we might see with CGC. It doesn’t have to be perfect in every detail to be a workable comparison.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
There is some strange belief that throwing money at a football program produces wins. This could not be further from the truth.
This. Collins is the coach he is, changing the amount of money he receives as compensation has zero effect on that. People want to complain about how lowly he's paid, but he hasn't even met expectations, much less done something to deserve a raise, and nobody is coming to poach him so no reason to throw more money at him.

You only pay more money to retain good coaches who could leave for better opportunity, or to hire better coaches to replace the current ones. Since almost no one on this staff is in the first category, if we are going to spend more money it should be in the second category.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
This. Collins is the coach he is, changing the amount of money he receives as compensation has zero effect on that. People want to complain about how lowly he's paid, but he hasn't even met expectations, much less done something to deserve a raise, and nobody is coming to poach him so no reason to throw more money at him.

You only pay more money to retain good coaches who could leave for better opportunity, or to hire better coaches to replace the current ones. Since almost no one on this staff is in the first category, if we are going to spend more money it should be in the second category.
I believe the issue is that money is necessary to hire and retain a quality coaching staff, not just the head coach. Moreover, the number of "assistants" who do specialized work has become enormous at places like Clemson and Alabama and I do believe that has an affect on program success over time.

Money matters. A lot. For the program as a whole.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't say we should worry about the coaches salary, until they start proving their worth and are a risk for being poached. Paying Collins more is unlikely going to change who he is , or paying the assistants more. If anything we need to look at money for better assistants

What we should worry about are things like the overall athletic departments funding, and things that can be funded to help with recruiting

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
This maybe the wrong board but I don’t understand the CGC needs to be Dabo stuff. I get the corkiness trying to play to recruits. CGC was a broyles award winning DC who if things don’t turn around will get another major DC job whereas Dabo was a WR coach before being promoted. Tech is also very different from Clemson. They have a bigger stadium, more students, and have always had a higher recruiting ceiling because South Carolina ≠ UGA. Just not a comparison that makes a lot of sense to me.
Because Dabo is a great recruiter who built an aura around the program. He was never the best game day coach and he knew it so he went out of his way to make sure he had the best assistants he could get. He even took very little pay (By comparision) to have the extra money to find and hire only the best assistants he could. CGC is capable of doing the same aura thing with the 404 and recruiting. But he is going loyal instead of looking for the best coaches. (Hint you start with the best DC and OC, something he has failed at) He also did not try to limit his pay to find the best coaches.

The Dabo model is one that works and he has the skill set to set the tone around the program. But he does not have the coaching skill set and he (so far) is not trying to get the best coaches.
The Dabo model is the one that has the highest upside for us.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It's not
Collins's salary is ok to start. It's a "show me* contract on the salary side, but the length and buyout terms make up for that.

We are not paying market rates for assistants outside of Key and that will have to change at some point.
about what Collins gets. The issue is our assistant's pay. Per the AJC: "Defensive coordinator Andrew Thacker ($450,000) was 212th among all assistants and tied for 31st among ACC coaches in total pay, while offensive coordinator Dave Patenaude ($400,000) was 257th overall and 41st in the ACC."

How long do you think we will keep Choice? Some school will come and say we will double or triple you pay, come on over. He will and who could blame him. We almost lost Key last Spring to USC East and he is by far our highest paid assistant but comes in at 114th among FBS assistants and 14th among ACC assistant coaches.

Anyone who thinks this isn't a real and long term issue is missing the point. It's not about Collins, it's about the GT Football program's viability going forward.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't say we should worry about the coaches salary, until they start proving their worth and are a risk for being poached. Paying Collins more is unlikely going to change who he is , or paying the assistants more. If anything we need to look at money for better assistants

What we should worry about are things like the overall athletic departments funding, and things that can be funded to help with recruiting
This is not really about Collins or this staff. It’s a statement about what we commit to our football program compared to our peers. I haven’t seen anyone say Collins should get more, but if some of you get your wish and he gets fired just who the hell do you think we could hire to replace him? Another bargain basement hire and hope he can scrape together a staff to turn things around?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
It's not

about what Collins gets. The issue is our assistant's pay. Per the AJC: "Defensive coordinator Andrew Thacker ($450,000) was 212th among all assistants and tied for 31st among ACC coaches in total pay, while offensive coordinator Dave Patenaude ($400,000) was 257th overall and 41st in the ACC."

How long do you think we will keep Choice? Some school will come and say we will double or triple you pay, come on over. He will and who could blame him. We almost lost Key last Spring to USC East and he is by far our highest paid assistant but comes in at 114th among FBS assistants and 14th among ACC assistant coaches.

Anyone who thinks this isn't a real and long term issue is missing the point. It's not about Collins, it's about the GT Football program's viability going forward.
I am hoping (wishful thinking?) that Coach Choice and Coach Coleman are not just doing it for the $, but more so as an opportunity to "come home" after making bank in the NFL. Otherwise, they are certainly at risk of departing for green pastures as some of the lowest-paid coaches in the ACC.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This discussion is why i laugh at the idea that more playoff spots, or more money is going to make it more likely for non blue blood schools to compete. The opposite is the reality.
As money becomes larger the schools that are able to spend ridiculous amounts of money will be the ones that play in the big games.

It's just the decision that has been made, pandora is out of the box and is not going back in. But in reality there are really less than 10 programs in the country that can consistently compete for national titles.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It's not

Agreed. That's what I said

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
IMO Coach Collins's salary is fine, if he gets to 6 this year 8 plus next year, then he would probably get a raise. If he got 10 plus W's, he would get a bigger raise. I have no doubt, Tech could pony up a couple of million to move him into the 5-6 Million range.