Collin Sexton & Alabama basketball discussion

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think if the bench would have stayed where they were when they first stood up, they probably wouldn't have been ejected. They were on the court, but not much, and there was a gap between the action and the players. However, when it started to escalate, they ALL came onto the court, inside the 3-point arc. That's why they were ejected. The problem is that the more bodies that are present, the more likely it is to escalate. If everyone stays away, the refs can control the 2-3 people involved. When it gets crowded, more chance for a brawl. Refs were correct for removing the entire bench.

I didn't see it (too lazy to look) so I'll rely on your and others' assessments of the ejection/aftermath.

My issue is it being allowed to escalate to the point where a fight could happen. Did the refs not issue T's earlier when it was clear that level of talk was happening?

I'm leaning to blame the refs on this one. This should never get to this point.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I didn't see it (too lazy to look) so I'll rely on your and others' assessments of the ejection/aftermath.

My issue is it being allowed to escalate to the point where a fight could happen. Did the refs not issue T's earlier when it was clear that level of talk was happening?

I'm leaning to blame the refs on this one. This should never get to this point.
The trash talk was between Sexton and the PG from MN (blanking on his name and don't care to go look). Eventually, the MN senior pg got T'd up for taunting and kept jawing. He was T'd a 2nd time and ejected. Then Pitino Jr. was T'd. Sexton shot 4 free throws. Then then next time down the court, an Alabama big hit a 3-pt shot and two guys (not Sexton) got tangled up underneath and started shoving. This is when the bench first stood up and took a couple of steps onto the floor, but did not engage. One of the Alabama players came running back down the floor (Lynch?) and starting posturing like he was going to throw down. That's when the players came out onto the floor, and in my opinion, why they were all ejected.

It was a NYC playground atmosphere, and the crowd was feeding it. I think the refs are going to be watching Sexton pretty closely with the trash-talk. I could see him being T'd up for taunting if they deem it too inflammatory. It'll be interesting to watch. He's used to getting away with that. I think the refs will move pretty quickly to squash it, but we'll see.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The trash talk was between Sexton and the PG from MN (blanking on his name and don't care to go look). Eventually, the MN senior pg got T'd up for taunting and kept jawing. He was T'd a 2nd time and ejected. Then Pitino Jr. was T'd. Sexton shot 4 free throws. Then then next time down the court, an Alabama big hit a 3-pt shot and two guys (not Sexton) got tangled up underneath and started shoving. This is when the bench first stood up and took a couple of steps onto the floor, but did not engage. One of the Alabama players came running back down the floor (Lynch?) and starting posturing like he was going to throw down. That's when the players came out onto the floor, and in my opinion, why they were all ejected.

It was a NYC playground atmosphere, and the crowd was feeding it. I think the refs are going to be watching Sexton pretty closely with the trash-talk. I could see him being T'd up for taunting if they deem it too inflammatory. It'll be interesting to watch. He's used to getting away with that. I think the refs will move pretty quickly to squash it, but we'll see.

Funny, I clicked the replay someone posted and randomly clicked on the timeline and got right to where the conflict took place. Midas touch? It happened just as you described.

Sorta strengthened my resolve that this was a failing on the refs part. At this point, it should've already been clear that Sexton talks too much and they should've shut it down early. Why, one might ask? Well, if you don't, you put yourself in a position of having to eject an entire bench. Now you (refs) look stupid.

I'd rather end up ejecting the problem semi-unfairly than risk him infecting the other 9 guys on the court. This ain't AAU, sir. You have to adjust to the game, the game doesn't have to adjust to you.

Most NBA players trash talk. The great ones do it in a manner that no one outside the court really even notices it. All the posturing Sexton does takes away from the player that he can be.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Funny, I clicked the replay someone posted and randomly clicked on the timeline and got right to where the conflict took place. Midas touch? It happened just as you described.

Sorta strengthened my resolve that this was a failing on the refs part. At this point, it should've already been clear that Sexton talks too much and they should've shut it down early. Why, one might ask? Well, if you don't, you put yourself in a position of having to eject an entire bench. Now you (refs) look stupid.

I'd rather end up ejecting the problem semi-unfairly than risk him infecting the other 9 guys on the court. This ain't AAU, sir. You have to adjust to the game, the game doesn't have to adjust to you.

Most NBA players trash talk. The great ones do it in a manner that no one outside the court really even notices it. All the posturing Sexton does takes away from the player that he can be.
The original technical foul was called on both Sexton and the MN player. Those were offsetting, so no free throws. So, the refs did get them both for jawing. To his credit, Sexton was no where near the skirmish, nor did he get in the middle of it when it escalated.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The original technical foul was called on both Sexton and the MN player. Those were offsetting, so no free throws. So, the refs did get them both for jawing. To his credit, Sexton was no where near the skirmish, nor did he get in the middle of it when it escalated.

Yeah, I saw that and I concur that Sexton wasn't involved in the actual physical mixup.

My point is it didn't start with the double-techs. It started when Sexton got off the bus. IOW, the refs should've done their homework and headed it off early. I suspect that's what we'll see going forward.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I saw that and I concur that Sexton wasn't involved in the actual physical mixup.

My point is it didn't start with the double-techs. It started when Sexton got off the bus. IOW, the refs should've done their homework and headed it off early. I suspect that's what we'll see going forward.
Agreed. It started when Sexton signed.