College football recruiting expenses by conference (2017-2022)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Seems like we are on right path for a school that is way tougher in academics and has a fortune 500 only course offering.
Also when u are at bottom ( assuming quality coaches) u need more sales.

Hope we learn that we need to do way better recruiting to be at the top.

The messaging of Prez and Ad support is vital and a dollar value cant be assigned. Also the clear, consistant and coherent messsging of key and staff to players, recruits and DONORS is light years better than TFP. NOTE HE IS SAYING TO DONORS : YOU NEED TO BE TOUGH AND FOR YOU WE NEED THE TOUGH TO SIGN BIGGER CHECKS AND WE NEED YOU TO COME TO GAMES

Last edited:

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I think if you checked, historically we have always spent more on recruiting than our peers to get lesser talent. It is nature of trying to recruit at Tech that we have to invest a lot more to identify the recruits that are capable of getting into Tech, have to cast a wider net, have to review more film, have to travel to more places, have to make more visits, have to maintain contact longer, and have to go through more commitments than others to get to our final list. So, I am not surprised by our place on that list.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
There's recruiting, then there's "recruiting". 100% those numbers don't include off the book numbers like NIL, and entertainment expenses by "friends of the program".
Right. NIL is not legally part of the AA or the recruiting budget and “friends” are totally off any organizational books.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
How much does it cost to buy the resources necessary to win a national championship? If you ask the two-time reigning champion Georgia Bulldogs, the answer is $16,518,859. The Bulldogs spent that much between 2017-22 on recruiting expenses, which was more than $5 million more than any other program in the country over the same period, according to analysis of public records obtained by USA Today for Power Five schools. The gap between Georgia and No. 2 spender Alabama almost matches the difference between Alabama and Nebraska.

ACC​

SCHOOL2022 SPENDING2017-22 AVERAGE SPENDING
Clemson$3,158,941$1,661,691
North Carolina$1,306,117$856,072
Georgia Tech$1,240,706$763,426
Louisville$1,019,027$659,819
Virginia$994,851$641,396
Florida State$899,308$1,257,758
Virginia Tech$898,675$623,166
NC State$632,696$538,879
If you want to be the best, you have to spend like the best. Clemson more than doubles any other ACC program in recruiting spending and trails only Georgia among all programs nationally. That's translated to the No. 5 Talent Compositeteam in the country, the only public ACC team in the top 15. North Carolina's investment under Mack Brown also deserves serious credit.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
There's recruiting, then there's "recruiting". 100% those numbers don't include off the book numbers like NIL, and entertainment expenses by "friends of the program".
Plus, different schools categorize expenses differently. Even according to the CBS article: "Additionally, schools compile these numbers differently, which impacts comparison." If coaches travel to a weeklong conference and visit a recruit while at the conference, how do those expenses count? All for recruiting, all for the conference, or actually split as closely to amount of time and expense used to visit the recruit?

GT might be spending more than most of the conference on recruiting expenses now. However, I don't put any credibility on a list based on quasi-accounting.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Plus, different schools categorize expenses differently. Even according to the CBS article: "Additionally, schools compile these numbers differently, which impacts comparison." If coaches travel to a weeklong conference and visit a recruit while at the conference, how do those expenses count? All for recruiting, all for the conference, or actually split as closely to amount of time and expense used to visit the recruit?

GT might be spending more than most of the conference on recruiting expenses now. However, I don't put any credibility on a list based on quasi-accounting.
When i helped Todd Spencer recruit in Texas, they had no money to send anyone to Texas ( SW airlines round trip Atl DWF 129$). For Orange bowl when i bought 20 sests ( my engr company business development w Fla Power, nextra, hiring my replacement) he was so grateful he gave me 2 premium seats next Cpj and Dwyer family.

They had no disposible funds.

When Andy Mac would drive to niceville every friday night to see Thomas play, his wife would drive back so he could be at very early Sat game day meeting.

Heroic efforts on a few players is not a plan.

I think we are spending money on recruiting. With the high academics and limited courses, its probably not what it should be. Just suddenly spending money (TFP) is not a long term solution.

However, we now have a Prez who has taken it personally that we lost 100-0. He, the mayor of Atl the AD , and DS had lunch during the hiring of DS. We have hired local legends HS coaches to devlope and maintain Atl and Georgia relations. We have Watson doing his thing w recruits and we brought back Irwin. Joe.
AD Batt is touching the buttons, but will the millionaire tech grads respond.
Yes, imo.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think if you checked, historically we have always spent more on recruiting than our peers to get lesser talent. It is nature of trying to recruit at Tech that we have to invest a lot more to identify the recruits that are capable of getting into Tech, have to cast a wider net, have to review more film, have to travel to more places, have to make more visits, have to maintain contact longer, and have to go through more commitments than others to get to our final list. So, I am not surprised by our place on that list.
Agree completely. I would add that recruiting expenses probably vary a lot between years due to the number of slots you have open and the needs of the program. Recently, many schools (including Tech?) have started a more rigorous form of "roster management" to keep their number of slots constant. (This is the one good thing I can see about the present transfer regime, btw.) Still, I would have liked to see a report of, say, the confidence intervals around the averages for 2017-22. That would have helped.

GT33

Helluva Engineer

GT spending more on anything doesn’t pass the smell test unless you’re talking textbooks and lab equipment. I’d buy it if you said we outspent Wake, possibly dook and bc. No way we outspent the majority of the conference. FSU spends more on eye shadow and fake eyelashes for recruiting than GT does in its entire recruiting budget. None of those girls are inexpensive. We don’t even have one, they have dozens.