College football bagman

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
In "The Jump," written by Ian O'Connor, Telfair says he received a $250,000 offer while attending a college basketball game, and a person close to Telfair says the man making the offer claimed to represent the interests of Georgia Tech. Telfair identifies the man only as middle-aged and white and does not identify the school, only referring to it as "a major school in the East." Telfair's brother and best friend both say Telfair attended a Tech game.

http://www.basketballforum.com/port...430-so-its-now-telfairs-turn-controversy.html

Telfair is Stephon Marbury's cousin.

/

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That 2007 class didn't come together by accident ;)

E, you're so off base.

Haven't you heard from multiple posters on this board that GT is all that is right and holy with college athletics? GT does everything the right way...that's one of the reasons we can't compete with those factory schools, we're above paying teenagers.

On another note, anyone got $100 to add to the kitty to get that #1 DT in the nation?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The thing that I found most interesting about this article was the angle on "Exercise Science" and "General Phys Ed". I hadn't thought about how the proliferation of corruption (well, that's what it is) could be spread that way. I'll be more careful when I think about how recruiting works now.

And, no, I wasn't surprised that this is SOP at many football factories. I doubt it's as big a problem at Tech as at the Heart of Darkness (i.e. Bama), but I don't doubt that it's a problem. The NCAA can't be everywhere all the time and asking fans to police themselves is a fool's errand. Still, you have to ask yourself what the life of these characters is like. I mean, voluntarily giving money to football players is your idea of life with purpose!? Boring! Boring! Boring!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The thing that I found most interesting about this article was the angle on "Exercise Science" and "General Phys Ed". I hadn't thought about how the proliferation of corruption (well, that's what it is) could be spread that way. I'll be more careful when I think about how recruiting works now.

And, no, I wasn't surprised that this is SOP at many football factories. I doubt it's as big a problem at Tech as at the Heart of Darkness (i.e. Bama), but I don't doubt that it's a problem. The NCAA can't be everywhere all the time and asking fans to police themselves is a fool's errand. Still, you have to ask yourself what the life of these characters is like. I mean, voluntarily giving money to football players is your idea of life with purpose!? Boring! Boring! Boring!
Careful! Could be one of those boosters on this board reading this right now. Don't wanna piss them off and lose out on any top recruits.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
Careful! Could be one of those boosters on this board reading this right now. Don't wanna piss them off and lose out on any top recruits.
If there are any such idiots on this board, why not put that type of money towards a scholarship fund for either your child, or as a charity scholly to someone in need?

Some people are beyond crazy man.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
If there are any such idiots on this board, why not put that type of money towards a scholarship fund for either your child, or as a charity scholly to someone in need?

Some people are beyond crazy man.

Who's to say they don't. Who's to say they don't use this as a tax write off against their personal business. No one is going broke from paying a kid a few thousand here or there. The big dollars are from slush funds.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
I imagine they look like something like this:

LZkBXrr.jpg

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Allen ... never got tickets from cops at GT. He used to park anywhere
I don't have any hard evidence to support a counterpoint but I'm somewhat curious as to how you are so certain that the entire GTPD looked the other way the whole time he was here. The only way for that to happen is for the order to come down from on high. That's quite a conspiracy.