College Football Attendance drop

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Not surprising. Expensive tickets, expensive food, limited access to alcohol, and cold temperatures vs. HD television, climate control, alcohol, food, etc without leaving the house.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I’d be interested to see how this compares to NFL game attendance. NFL games are far more expensive than College games. GT has no excuse. You can get $30 tickets even when we’re good.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
The -1% for us is disappointing. Who looks at this season and says 'meh, catch it at home'?
I think you may be misreading the chart. That was a 1% drop in attendance figures over the season before. That means attendance basically remained static. So the reaction would be to the 2013 season not this year. I think it is actually a positive sign that after last year which ended with the dismal Music City Bowl, then a quick transfer of the starting QB, the media hullabaloo over CPJ being "unhappy and wanting a buyout" then the fact that this year's attendance numbers ended up being just about static is a pretty positive sign. It suggests that there is a basic level of sustainable and consistent support by a core fan base that the AA can pretty much bank on in budgeting from one season to the next. I would be more concerned if there had been a notable fluctuation.

It will be even more telling to look at the figures at the end of next year coming after a very successful season.

Or are you thinking that say after beating VT and then UM that those last couple home games (UVA and Clemson) should have seen a big enough upsurge based on how the season had gone to that point (6-2 I think, right?) to make a positive overall change in attendance figures from last year? Also remember that the odd years still have that UGA at home game to help boost overall numbers right at the end.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd say -1% is really good considering no UGA or VT at home. Plus Clemson didn't bring its usual crowd with that last minute gametime announcement. This was like on of the first times the Clemson game hasn't brought in over 50K (49.3K) Homecoming came 2 weeks after our 2 game trip ups of Duke and UNC so the attendance there was abysmal for a homecoming game (46K) But we still had GaSo and Miami over 50K which I think is pretty good. Our win streaks usually culminated in an away game so we couldn't capitalize or a game like Duke where the opponent brings only a handful of fans

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Judging our attendance just based on year to year comparisons doesn't usually work. It's usually based on who we play and even on game times. Next year we will have FSU, UGA, VT and UNC on the home schedule. Attendance numbers should be a good bit higher overall. Honestly, this year Ga Southern saved us from not having a rather large drop in year to year attendance.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Judging our attendance just based on year to year comparisons doesn't usually work. It's usually based on who we play and even on game times. Next year we will have FSU, UGA, VT and UNC on the home schedule. Attendance numbers should be a good bit higher overall. Honestly, this year Ga Southern saved us from not having a rather large drop in year to year attendance.
Hence they are right back on the schedule to the wailing and gnashing of teeth from many of us (myself included).

I hope they steamroll their conference every year before our next game and also win their bowl games. I want Southern to have the D1 "street cred" of Marshall before we play them next.

RussianOffense

Georgia Tech Fan
who dont like watching man in red for 4 minutes before and after kick

seriously though i am not troubled because there too many football teams. the drop is due to non power 5 if u look. overexpansion.

Last edited: