College Basketball News

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

Heard rumors of this realignment but this is a real bombshell news drop. Happy for Washington State and Oregon State but you kind of hate this for the WCC which has now lost BYU and Gonzaga. You'd expect Saint Mary's to potentially join the Pac 12 now as well, if they are taking schools without football teams. Pac 12 is about to remain a power conference in basketball.

Looks like Grand Canyon is also in talks w/ the Pac 12 even though they just committed to the WCC 5 months ago.

Last edited:

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Folks are speculating CTB is stepping down at this particular time because players are tethered to the program for this season at this point, plus it means his staff probably gets a shot as interim.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So sad. I really hate to see all of the legendary coaches we've lost from the sport recently. Roy, K, Jay Wright, Boeheim, and now Bennett. Feels like they've all retired in the blink of an eye.

Well ..... call me jaded but I'm on record calling them dudes out. When they benefited from paying dudes, all was well. Now that they don't control the money, they're bolting right when the game needs them most.

Bennett I feel for. Not so much them other dudes.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't like for the ACC to lose a top coach.

Hopefully it is not due to personal crisis but only a professional one.

There have been dramatic changes to the sport in the last few years and that change will only naturally benefit some coaches and alienate others. It is peak recruiting season and it wouldn't surprise me if Bennett lost a key recruit over money. I remember Bob Staak of Wake Forest retired when Tom Hammonds committed to Bobby Cremins and GT. Gary Williams of Maryland burnt out over the changing recruiting (AAU) landscape also.

Another possibility is that since practices have recently begun, Bennett is fed-up with the cultural landscape of young people and can no longer coach the way he used to, or get the results that he used to.

All guesses, of course.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
No one is pushing him out. This is his idea for whatever reason. I do have some thirdhand knowledge that he was not happy about the way the college basketball world has morphed into and is heading. IMH Speculation this smells to me that something in today's structure/NIL affected this year's players and his team in a way he wasn't expecting or happy with. I can't think of anything short of a personal or family medical issue that would send him to the sidelines at this time of the season.