COFH on Thanksgiving.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I think they stretched the chain in that game and broke it, mended it a couple of links shorter giving mutts a critical first down.

Your recollection may be correct, but I think you may be referring to the 1967 game.

I may be totally wrong after all these years but I believe GT had the ball and was driving. The chain gang was brought out and the chain literally broke. It was pieced together with paper clip (s) and we missed getting the first down ever so slightly.

GT folks were furious. ugaggers said the home team provides that equipment and it should have been checked better before the game or that Dodd should not have been so cheap and bought some newer markers.

And, yes, they were sec refs (the league commissioner being one of Dodd's longtime former asst.). Carson said sec refs were the best in the country and used them when he could. ACC refs back then we're ivy league wanna be bedwettets.

But your reference may be a totally different game.

Your recollection may be correct, but I think you may be referring to the 1967 game.

I may be totally wrong after all these years but I believe GT had the ball and was driving. The chain gang was brought out and the chain literally broke. It was pieced together with paper clip (s) and we missed getting the first down ever so slightly.

GT folks were furious. ugaggers said the home team provides that equipment and it should have been checked better before the game or that Dodd should not have been so cheap and bought some newer markers.

And, yes, they were sec refs (the league commissioner being one of Dodd's longtime former asst.). Carson said sec refs were the best in the country and used them when he could. ACC refs back then we're ivy league wanna be bedwettets.

If it indeed happened in 1967, we were independent then, so ACC refs would probably not even have been an option.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe the COFH was on Thanksgiving Day as well. I sat in East Stands in the pouring rain. We had them beat until the kickoff gave them great field position and then the phantom PI call gave them another shot at the end zone. But it may have been on Saturday. But I do remember not getting a morsel of Turkey in 1995 when I brought my brother-in-law to the game.

I believe the COFH was on Thanksgiving Day as well. I sat in East Stands in the pouring rain. We had them beat until the kickoff gave them great field position and then the phantom PI call gave them another shot at the end zone. But it may have been on Saturday. But I do remember not getting a morsel of Turkey in 1995 when I brought my brother-in-law to the game.
The media guide says no.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, if I wasn't already aware of it, I am now....my memory is shot, totally shot....LOL There were Thanksgiving Day games in 1971, 1975, 1993. and 1995. I really don't remember any of them, but sadly we lost every one of them :(

One of the gifts of being a male (my assumption of your gender), is that you can forget bad things :whistle:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I was there in student section by the field. Yes it was a broken chain. They stretched it hard and it looked good. Then it broke - the paper clip I dont remember. The rumour was the guy holding the two ends grasped it with a 1" gap .
We never beat ga 65 66 67 68 .
Also they thru that damn fake dive pass to full back in that game.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I was there in student section by the field. Yes it was a broken chain. They stretched it hard and it looked good. Then it broke - the paper clip I dont remember. The rumour was the guy holding the two ends grasped it with a 1" gap .
We never beat ga 65 66 67 68 .
Also they thru that damn fake dive pass to full back in that game.

So you do remember this as 1967?

Reason it seems so to me, despite old memory bank, is that one of the refs was a fairly well known Atlanta businessman. A former college player who loved the game and still wanted to be involved. My dad had a business relationship with the man. He told my dad that for almost a year after that, he and his employees caught a lot of heck for that game.