Coastal Race (new)

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Starting a new thread (hope that's OK GTNAVYNUKE) to post an observation.

Four coastal teams are sitting at four wins and need to win 2 of the next 3 to make a bowl. Two of those teams play Duke:

Virginia Tech (4-5): Plays Duke, Wake and Virginia
UNC (4-5): Plays Pitt, Duke, NC State

I suspect both of those will be hard played games. Can you imagine Beamer and/or Fedora not making a bowl this year???

We get a 5 win NC State team next, but they get Wake after us as their get out of jail (and go to a bowl) card...

/

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Duke can still drop two ACC games, I think VT and UNC with both have a good shot at 'em. Cuse, not so much. The trick is gonna be GT winning out. NCS is a trap and Clem is Clem.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Duke can still drop two ACC games, I think VT and UNC with both have a good shot at 'em. Cuse, not so much. The trick is gonna be GT winning out. NCS is a trap and Clem is Clem.

I agree Duke can drop 2. But man Pitt giving up that game was a heartbreaker. I was beside myself that Chryst didn't center the ball for the kick. Literally yelling at the TV and THAT WAS BEFORE we knew he would miss the kick.

Chryst should be fired alone for that.

But GT does have the toughest path even if Duke loses 2. Clemson with Watson is going to be HAAAAAAAAARDDDDDDDDDDDD

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
All we can hope for is VT starts fighting for pride's sake and takes out Duke. I honestly think UNC has the best chance of beating Duke of the teams left. We can only hope things fall into place in that regard and take care of our own business.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This week we got separation 3 real contenders - I'd make it Fluke 1 in 2 (50%), Miami 1 in 3 and GT 1 in 6 chance of winning Coastal. We probably aren't going to learn much next week with all the byes and uneven match-ups.
9vmrey93yvr4jpi6g.jpg

Duke: The football gods (and refs and schedulers) love the Flukes again this year. Atomic has them winning 2.7 out of 4 games which I think is right. They lose 1 or 2 to VT and UNC. Hopefully @Syracuse is a trap game for them next week. Duke ends up with 2 to 3 losses for the year, but Miami has tiebreaker and we don't.

GT: We'll beat NCState (the only team which has given up more points than we have). Clemson game will be for pride as Duke probably only loses one and they have the tie breaker. Clemson doesn't have a real chance to win Atlantic as FSU would have to lose 2 of their last 3. I think our chances are 50/50 against Clemson if we keep playing better week to week as we have been. We really need Gamble back (and about 5 other DLs we lost in the off season.)

Miami: Miami destroyed UNC and showed real talent. I really hope they beat FSU so that the embarrassment of Fluke winning Coastal doesn't recur. Miami should easily beat @UVa and Pitt. Given how Miami has been playing and how FSU has been playing, I think Miami and Duke J have a great chance at home like 50/50.

UVa, Pitt and UNC with three losses are essentially out of it. They are all playing for pride and a better bowl.

VT. Wow. I'll write more when I do a Special Teams review, but at 4-5 they may not make a bowl game. They HAVE to beat @Duke and have a week off to find an offense and special teams. They will beat @Wake. Then the UVa game will be very hard for VT. There is so much built up passion on the UVa side and UVa has lost so many that UVa is way overdue. This may be Beamer's last year. I'd expect Foster to take over, if not he'll leave. So we may be seeing a VT slide back down to obscurity which ended only with Beamer's arrival.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think the Syracuse game is going to be tougher for Duke than most think.

Winning out next two is going to be very tough. The Clemson D is probably the best defense we will face this year.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We should have beaten Duke when we had the opportunity. The rest is would have, should have, could have. We can run the table and still get frozen out of the ACC championship where if we could have played and beaten an undefeated FSU team, might have led to a berth in the vaunted Final Four. If you want to shake your head and think about all the would have, should have and could have scenarios, just smoke that one over.

Go Jackets!

NorthGaJacket15

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree...let's take care of business first...but I wouldn't count out anyone beating Duke...except for maybe Wake. Duke just seems to always be in close games and at some point the ball has to bounce the other way.

Who else does Miami have left? I also don't think its out of the question that UM beats FSU...so I think there is still a lot to be determined.

NorthGaJacket15

Jolly Good Fellow
Found it in the other post...I could still see Miami beating FSU and then having a let down against a decent UVA or Pitt...which then would change around potential tie breaker scenarios.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Disagree that NC State is a trap game. There is no point for us to look ahead anymore. We need to win every game.

@ Syracuse is definitely a trap game though because Duke can afford to drop a game.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I really want Syracuse to beat Duke, and I still can't believe Pitt Blewitt. I think UNC beats Duke. A season where we win the Coastal and vpi ends their bowl streak would be awesome.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Here is one to think about. CPJ has owned the North Carolina schools for the most part. This year we have lost to Duke and UNC. Now we go to NC State. Probably should be glad we did not have Wake on the schedule.

Go Jackets!

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
We should have beaten Duke when we had the opportunity. The rest is would have, should have, could have. We can run the table and still get frozen out of the ACC championship where if we could have played and beaten an undefeated FSU team, might have led to a berth in the vaunted Final Four. If you want to shake your head and think about all the would have, should have and could have scenarios, just smoke that one over.

Go Jackets!

I pretty much agree with this, although I also agree Duke's run of good fortune is bound to run out.
The Pitt coaches statement for the final play before the field goal was that he thought the QB could get out-of bounds ????? They had one TO left, all they had to do was put the ball in the middle of the field and it would have been a glorified extra point.