Coastal Race Going Into Week 13

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Conclusion from yesterday remains the same; but first a quote from last week:

" ............ Duke will probably lose their next two to VT and UNC. VT is coming off a bye and needs two wins in three games to make a bowl. Then UNC will fill the Flukies stadium and physically beat the crap out of Duke - matching the dirtiest team in the ACC (Fluke) and taking them one better in a cage fight. Think Greek tragedy for the Flukies where the Gods set them on a pedestal just to watch them fall. .........."

Very simple now Coastal race now as we're done. Fluke wins next two and we end up tied for 1st in Coastal (as usual - ESPN take note for next year) with Fluke playing FSU. I very much believe that UNC will beat Fluke for the reasons above plus UNC has way too much O for Fluke to handle. Statistically, UNC is not impressive, but like last year UNC is getting better as the year goes on. UNC had a great balanced game against Pitt yesterday. http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/team/457/total/offense/gamelog.html And Fluke's luck ran out yesterday. (*Note that we'd be Coastal champs right now if Pitt makes the chip shot FG...... but that's CFB.)

But let's say Fluke wins their next two. They then get killed by FSU again. The Fluke STs are great; but O was weak before VT (44th by Football Outsiders) and the Fluke D (23rd before VT but against weak competition - our four turnovers killed us) would get abused at will by FSU. The only chance Fluke would have is if the first and second string FSU teams were all suspended. Possible but not likely.

GT playing FSU is something I could get into! We'd give FSU much more of a battle in a slugfest; and unlike other teams if we get a two/three/four score lead we will not play nice and let them have the ball back!

But let's wait till Thursday to pop the champagne cork!

cmdcyue63g9yimf6g.jpg

Techster

Helluva Engineer
From reading the internet and watching the college football shows, GT has been almost unanimously picked as the team with the best chance to beat FSU in the ACCCG. Add on top of that, they only really get 3 days to prepare for us.

I know I'd like to find out how that game would shake out on the field.

Do work this week, UNC!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I forgot to mention this thought. The Orange Bowl is a real possibility for us regardless of UNC/Fluke.

In the ACCCG if it's Fluke, they get killed. We are the second ranked ACC team and go to Orange (assuming FSU wins out which I now think is likely with only BC and Florida).

If it's us in the ACCCG, and we beat FSU, we go to the Orange Bowl (sorry no top 4 for a GT team which lost to Fluke). If we lose to FSU, we still may be the second ranked ACC team if we do OK against UGAg.........

This is a great season!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FSUs DC has spent years thinking about defending our O and has some insight into how our coach thinks.

So has Bud Foster. But FSUs athletes are better than VT although less disciplined. I could be very interesting.

Note that Clemson did s good job last night holding us to only 353 total yards. http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/team/147/total/defense/gamelog.html

But we did that on only 10 drives where we stopped ourselves twice and were running out the first half and second half clock on two others. http://espn.go.com/ncf/drivechart?gameId=400547748

Also, it doesn't include the 150 or so defensive yards! :cool:

Playing well against good Ds is not what would concern me. It's still our D!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If we don't go to the ACCCG, don't we have to at least beat the pups to have any shot at the OB?

We have to be the highest ranked ACC team, assuming FSU wins out and goes to the CFP. The other ACC teams potentially ranked higher would be Duke, Clemson, and Miami. Duke would've lost to FSU after we lost to georgie, so that would be close. Clemson could lose to South Carolina if they don't get their QB/offense situation straight. USCe has had a bad D but good O this year too. Even if Miami wins out against UVA and Pitt, they have 4 losses so they probably wouldn't jump us.

Of course, all of this is moot since we're going to beat georgie.

Animal02

Banned
If we don't go to the ACCCG, don't we have to at least beat the pups to have any shot at the OB?

Puke wins out, they will climb a few spots in the polls.....we lose to the leg humpers close, we will drop below them in the polls.......Puke then gets crushed by FSU in the ACCCG and drops like a rock..even if Clemp wins outs, Tech has the same number of losses and will have beaten Clemp, so Tech should stay higher ranked...Tech ends up the highest ranked ACC team behind a NC bound FSU.....that puts Tech in the OB.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Honestly. Nothing compares to beating UGA this year. That is the primary objective. Everything else is icing. A loss to them will hurt us all much more now that we know we have a very good chance to beat em. THWG