Coaching Staff Changes and Thoughts

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Sorry to create a new thread but I have two things here and didn't see a good place to put them both.

1) Eric, do you think there is a real possibility of any turnover within the coaching staff? A little of this happens each year, but I haven't heard any substantial rumors of it this year. I know there are some who would love to see certain coaches gone, but I am just wondering out of curiosity. I think turnover has hurt us offensively in the last few years.

2) As others have stated, I love this board for its relatively objective football focus. Reading it lately has led me to believe that there are fans like me out there who aren't thrilled with the past few years' results in the win/loss column, but do not think the program is collapsing.

I believe that in the whole "Vad Leaveth" episode, there were no good guys and bad guys. As a coach myself, you sometimes have KIDS who are hard to coach. These aren't always troublemakers or attitude problems. They can be great kids who want to succeed, but factors under or out of their control make that difficult. They may even be team leaders (or want to be), but for whatever reason just aren't a fit for that role. I hate it for Vad, and for GT, but I would wager that in a certain sense, Coach is somewhat relieved. He probably loves Vad. He certainly entrusted him with a big role. But I had heard after his redshirt year that he "didn't get it." That's no knock on the kid. Just fact. If you put JfN in a west coast offense, my guess is he would never "get it." But he was perfect for us. Vad had to start this year. No choice. And Coach made the right choice to start him all year regardless of his affinity for the offense or his performance. He gave us the best chance to win each individual game. And now we get to start fresh with a guy who was close, but just not quite there yet. Maybe two of those guys. And maybe a freshman who is a perfect fit. I'm excited.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Neither. I expect one or more of our coaches to get a job offer at a bigger school, a promotion type job...making much more money.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
If CPJ is not the one leaving...

Then my money would be on Pelton.

I don't know anything about Pelton personally but my understanding is that they're trying to get the money to give him a raise to make sure he doesn't want to go anywhere. Personally, I think he stays but that's based on no insider knowledge or anything.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'd certainly like to see our assistants paid better to prevent them from getting poached so easy. I never mind a coach taking a job that is a step up job wise... i.e. DL coach to DC. I hate the lateral transfers to the factory schools though. GT once stepped up and paid big time money to bring in a great coach...Heisman....we need to make this place more desirable to coach at for our asssistants. Much of our success depends on the job our assistants do.

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
If CPJ is not the one leaving...

Then my money would be on Pelton.

If there is a coach that leaves, I would put my money on him leaving for a DC position somewhere. I'd hate to lose him to. The Dline as a whole got exponentially better over the season.