Coaching Options

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
BenJones & 56JacketDE: No problem, I just used the remarks as a soap box. I have heard many fans asking for certain players to be hired as coaches because they were good players. I used that instance to show the other side of that situation. I read on one of the boards several years ago where someone suggested that Michael Jordan should become the coach at a school (Maybe when Dean Smith quit coaching). I laughed to myself as the person was serious, but did not even consider that maybe he might not be a good coach even though Jordan was one of the best to ever play the game.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
Rodney
You are humorous. You proved nothing

Edsalls year was 1998

We were 2nd in the acc in sacks behind FSU when they were "sack U"

We own the NCAA record with 7 fumbles returned for touchdowns

We were good enough to finish 10-2 and ranked #9 in the ap final poll. Only one team since Dodd has ended the season better, 1990

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
John: Maybe, but it is still in the category of Coaching Options. I would have a tough time staying on target with all my random thoughts. In fact, they say some have it, and some don't. They tell me I am full of it!

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
56JacketDE: True, that was a good defensive year due to Edsall's aggressive style of defense. There has not been a defense that agressive on flipping the ball since then. However, the opposition still scored 24.3 points per game, and Friegdens prolific offense helped with 35.5 points per game. However, the defensive take-aways added to Ralph's odds of scoring more. I really enjoyed that year and the 1990 year. Some good coaching on both sides of the ball.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I also liked the young coach from Valdosta State who went to Georgian Southern. I think Tech interviewed him, and he might have been second choice to PJ. I understand he did not work out at Georgia Southern, !

Please not Hatcher. There are reasons he did not work out at GSU.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I vote to keep CPJ. That is the best option.

He has figured out recruiting and got additional recruiting help.
He has a great graduation rate.
He has hired a good DC.
He has improved our special teams.
His offense has put good points on the board every year except last year.

I don't like not having a 2 minute offense.
I wish we had an occasional hurry up offense. Not all the time, just when they least expect it.
I want and think a new OL coach will help.

I think loosing so many assistant coaches to become head coaches has set us back.
I know our academic requirements hurts recruiting to a large degree.
I think the triple option hurts recruiting to some degree.

CPJ is our best option, no pun intended, even with his pluses and minuses.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Nothing happens until after 2014. Anyone believing different is wrong or just wishful thinking. The schedule sets up very well for us and I am excited to see us go back to what we do best and that is run the option. As for the coaching staff- I believe you will see 1 or 2 changes from the offensive side of the ball.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I also liked the young coach from Valdosta State who went to Georgian Southern. I think Tech interviewed him, and he might have been second choice to PJ. I understand he did not work out at Georgia Southern, but some times there are understandable reasons for this. I don't know if he is even coaching at present. I would have loved to have Peterson from Boise State, but that is out of the question now. PJ may make a comback, and I hope so. These are some of my thoughts on other comments from other topics. If others have comments on this subject, blast away!

Hatcher is at Murray State. His tenure at Southern started off well enough - 7-4 and a missed FG away from a playoff appearance after BVG's 3-8 turd in the punchbowl of a year - but he took a lot of chances in recruiting, with talented guys of marginal character he had to boot off, which then hamstrung his offense the final two seasons. He did a great job tailoring an offense he had never coached to fit Jayson Foster but then put in his air raid system which was butt ugly for a number of reasons.
I liked Hatcher personally and had high hopes for him. But when he got whacked on the steps of the Bishop Building after the 2010 finale - had just finished taping the coach's show, which aired the next day - it was a mercy killing. Grube didn't even bother wiping his prints from the gun, though he did take the cannolis.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Phillip Montgomery
Chad Morris
Tim DeRuyter
Jim McElwain
of course Ted Roof

Wild Cards
Pep Hamilton
Raheem Morris
Goose Godsey

Each better options than our current staff.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
here's an idea... instead of looking for a HC right now, why not try to find some stellar recruiters in the Giff Smith mold?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
here's an idea... instead of looking for a HC right now, why not try to find some stellar recruiters in the Giff Smith mold?

I think we are alot better here than in the past. Roof, pelton mccullum owens and cook really are improving this. The thing is these guys incoming are all young and pj may not be around to see them. Much like chan wasnt for 2007 class.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
swampsting: Thanks for the information regarding Hatcher. I still think we will see him go up the ranks sometime in the future. Sometimes, a coach does get into the wrong place at the wrong time. If he is really a good coach, he will eventually overcome all his past difficulties. Hopefully, he will; he had an amazing set of credentials after his tenure at Valdosta State.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Another left field wild card is Chris Ault...
Would love for him to be a consultant for this offense.

Animal02

Banned
Nothing happens until after 2014. Anyone believing different is wrong or just wishful thinking. The schedule sets up very well for us and I am excited to see us go back to what we do best and that is run the option. As for the coaching staff- I believe you will see 1 or 2 changes from the offensive side of the ball.

I think with the favorable schedule next year, we will win 8 games, 10 is not out of the question. With 8 wins (even with a loss to UGAG) CPJ will get at least a minimal extension based on the overall direction....i.e academics etc. of the program.