Coaching Options

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Since so many topics break down into the present coach and future prospective coaches, I decided to add a topic about this and throw in a first post under it.

There are some things that are useless. O'Leary will never be back at Tech, neither will Friegden, nor Gailey, etal. They have about as much chance of returning as coach as does Bobby Dodd. Also, I like Ted Roof as a person, as much as I have heard about him, and I liked him as a player. As far as I am concerned he has never been a good defensive coach, and he was not effective in his first term at Tech. He is a protoge of O'Leary's "Bend but don't break" phylosophy of which is the worst defense in football as far as I am concerned. It is a twin to the horrible defense of "Prevent Defense".

The only way I would want Roof as Head Coach would be on a temporary basis until a new coach is found if PJ is eventually given the axe. Other than this, I think the next coach should be one who has the ability and is willing to adjust his offense each year to the talent of his team of players. The future coach should never be selected from a group of coaches who have had success at a big school which gets the 4's and 5's. Instead, he should be a coach with a genius mind to be able to win with systems and the talent on hand of average players. If he wins, then the better players will be attracted by his winning, and the percentage of winning will then increase even more. Generally, these coaches come from smaller schools where they prove their genius with lesser players. Also, Tech should never hire a coach from the NFL. They are winning with better than 5's, so they would have no idea of how to win with many average players.

The past player at Tech that impressed me with his only head coaching job and short stint at Tech with the defensive line is Glenn Spencer. At one time, I wanted Tech to hire him, but I don't even know where is is coaching at present. I also liked the young coach from Valdosta State who went to Georgian Southern. I think Tech interviewed him, and he might have been second choice to PJ. I understand he did not work out at Georgia Southern, but some times there are understandable reasons for this. I don't know if he is even coaching at present. I would have loved to have Peterson from Boise State, but that is out of the question now. PJ may make a comback, and I hope so. These are some of my thoughts on other comments from other topics. If others have comments on this subject, blast away!

LibertyTurns

Banned
Whisenhunt is going to be 52 and he's got about 10 more years of football coaching left in him, 15 max. If he doesn't get a head coaching job this year after 7 head coaches have been canned, maybe he'd consider coming back to the Flats as his last hurrah? If SD loses to the Bengals today, we'll know within a week if he's available.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
As far as I remember, Whisenhunt has not coached in College, has he? I would not want a pro coach to coach at Tech if they have not had a previous stint at a College with average players. Personally, I think it would be risky to assume they could coach with the type of players we get at Tech. His playing days at Tech does not give him the experience to know how to utilize average players. To me, it would be risky!

LibertyTurns

Banned
As far as I remember, Whisenhunt has not coached in College, has he? I would not want a pro coach to coach at Tech if they have not had a previous stint at a College with average players. Personally, I think it would be risky to assume they could coach with the type of players we get at Tech. His playing days at Tech does not give him the experience to know how to utilize average players. To me, it would be risky!
Isn't one of the main reasons to can the coach is to bring in someone that can get better talent on the Flats? You saying the best a high profile coach can do is bring in mediocre talent?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Spencer is the D Coordinator at Oklahoma State. Former Georgia Tech DE Eric Henderson is helping coach the d line on his staff.
EH was a badass. Would love to see those guys back on the flats. Although spencer as head man worried me alittle but he can flat out recruit. I only say that because tech is a tough job to wet your feet as a head coach. Sure it can be done. But its tough.

yjack

Jolly Good Fellow
Assuming he wasn't already a HC someplace else I'd like to see us strongly consider Philip Montgomery (Baylor OC). He and Art Briles have done a lot with 2-stars for several years.

Ben Jones

Georgia Tech Fan
Spencer is a good call. I wish Nate would coach the dLine, fridge the OC. Have to make room for lil Joe, too.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
LibertyTurns: No, I did not say that. I said, if a high profile coach has always coached at high profile schools or in the professional ranks, he probably could not coach at Tech. Many coaches win, even though they are mediocre, because they HAVE the 4's and 5's at the big schools. They most often cannot win with the average players. I say go after a coach that has won big time with mediocre players. Once he has established a winning record, he will then attract the 4's and 5's. He then becomes more well known because he can get the best out of any recruit. You can bring Saban into Tech, but he will not do as well as he did at LSU and Alabama, because he cannot get as many high profile athletes as he gets at those two schools. Even though a coach that wins with average players tends to attract more 4's and 5's because of his winning, he would still get less of them at Tech, but would get a sufficient amount of them with his coaching genius to overcome the lack of the quantity of them stocked by the factory schools.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Ben Jones: How do you know that Nate and Lil Joe would make good coaches? Being a player does not make one a good coach. Being a great player does not make one a great coach. A good coach generally has a very good analytical brain. These two might fit that, but you do not know this. Just being a great or well known football player does not guarantee a coaching genius. Many times those who are not as good, and sit on the bench, become great coaches. The reason is they normally do not have the natural talent, but have become pretty good at the game because they think and excel at the mental part of the game.

Sometimes these secondary or scout team players love the game so much and understand the analytical part of it that they stay with the game through the coaching process. Both of the players (Nate and Lil Joe) should start off coaching in High School or small colleges to see how successful they would be as Head Coaches. Starting off as an assistant might work, but still you do not know how they would turn out as a coach because they do not have all the responsibilites of the entire program.

I had an employee in a telephone switching center who was one of the smartest switchmen in the State of Georgia. He could find any problem and fix it. If I tried to get him to help some of the other switchmen to learn from him, he was unable to explain the process to them, although he knew it. He wanted to be a supervisor very strongly. We finally got him into an assessment center to gauge a person for supervisory skills and he flunked out. He knew how to do his job, but he did not have the skills to teach or pass it on to others. This is the same with football players. A great athlete might go to the NFL become All-Pro, make more money than all the coaches put together, but might not be worth a toot as a coach.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
Rodney
I think Ben was joking somewhat

Ben

Thanks for the confidence. I missed my coaching window years ago. I have no desire to go back.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
EH was a badass. Would love to see those guys back on the flats. Although spencer as head man worried me alittle but he can flat out recruit. I only say that because tech is a tough job to wet your feet as a head coach. Sure it can be done. But its tough.
Glen was HC at west ga and turned them around

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I was looking at the topic for Vad Lee that had been locked. The facts that I posted proved the defense was poor, and that GOL only won while Friegden was there with his hefty offense. It is sometimes humerous to see people (past players) defending themselves when it is needless. The fact that the defenses were bad under GOL has nothing to do with the players themselves; it was the system used by the coaches that was at fault, not the players. I do not, and never will, place blame on any player. A team is a mirror image of its coach. It is the coaching that should always take the blame, not the players. Most of the time, the players are giving it their best.

Even though there were great efforts and great individual games by players, the defense as a whole was poor under GOL. The one best year for defense was when Randy Edsell used his aggressive style to strip the balls from runners, place importance on interceptions, and, in general become proactive instead of passive on defense. If I remember right his team that year had a big + on the take-away side of the ball. Other than this year, the remainder of them were very bad against the pass.