Coaching Hires

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Mike Leach has been hired as the new Mississippi State head football coach. This is a home run hire for Mississippi State!

Based on what, other than 'name'-ness though.

Not many coaches have as big a 'name' as Leach without actual results to support it.

I expect a Spurrier-at-S. Carolina-like run. Lots of sound 'n fury, not a lotta winnin'.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer

Not many coaches have as big a 'name' as Leach without actual results to support it.

I expect a Spurrier-at-S. Carolina-like run. Lots of sound 'n fury, not a lotta winnin'.
Steve Spurrier did win the SEC East two seasons in a row at South Carolina and i believe beat Clemson 5 years in a row;)

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

Mike Leach has the highest win % at Washington State and Texas Tech since the 40s. To say "without actual results" ignores the fact that he has taken teams that are historically not good football teams and made them win games (which is exactly the situation he is stepping into).

I am interested to see what he does with a bigger football budget. If he nails a DC hire and allows the SEC clout to recruit him a defense, MSST could be trouble for the west.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Mike Leach has the highest win % at Washington State and Texas Tech since the 40s. To say "without actual results" ignores the fact that he has taken teams that are historically not good football teams and made them win games (which is exactly the situation he is stepping into).

I am interested to see what he does with a bigger football budget. If he nails a DC hire and allows the SEC clout to recruit him a defense, MSST could be trouble for the west.

People speak of him as if he has titles on his resume.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
People speak of him as if he has titles on his resume.
There are only 5 active coaches in the country that have won national titles. Although there may be 6 by the time Monday’s game is over. One of those coaches is now at Kansas, the other at North Carolina. There’s not exactly a ton of people that do have championships on their resume. Winning 11 games and having consistent winning seasons at Wazzu and Texas Tech is impressive. Especially when those teams have basically no history of football prominence, and they’re playing in the shadow of bigger schools in their state. People around here like to speak about Paul Johnson as if he has an abundance of FBS titles as well. I think it’s a great hire, flashy nonetheless. Once again though, he’s going to another school that has very little to no real chance to compete for a national title. Going 9-3 and 10-2 in the regular seasons if pretty damn successful there. Kinda like it is at Tech.

slugboy

Staff member

If ever there was a “I’ll give you the defense and just look at offense and special teams” situation, I think this is it. I’ve seen a few coaches willing to give up a mini kingdom like that, but not many. I wonder if he can make that kind of hire and leave them alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I hope Mike Leach hires CPJ to be his Offensive Coordinator/Chief Run Game Pirate. Said for years football deserves a CPJ/Leach hybrid offense.

I for one will be tuning in to watch Mike Leach make Sabans life miserable. May take a year or two, but Leach eventually takes down the big bad wolf of his conference. SEC West became a fun league with the hiring of Leach and Kiffen.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
There are only 5 active coaches in the country that have won national titles. Although there may be 6 by the time Monday’s game is over. One of those coaches is now at Kansas, the other at North Carolina. There’s not exactly a ton of people that do have championships on their resume. Winning 11 games and having consistent winning seasons at Wazzu and Texas Tech is impressive. Especially when those teams have basically no history of football prominence, and they’re playing in the shadow of bigger schools in their state. People around here like to speak about Paul Johnson as if he has an abundance of FBS titles as well. I think it’s a great hire, flashy nonetheless. Once again though, he’s going to another school that has very little to no real chance to compete for a national title. Going 9-3 and 10-2 in the regular seasons if pretty damn successful there. Kinda like it is at Tech.
Going 8-4 yearly at Mississippi State will guarantee you keep the head coaching job forever