Coaching Change not cheap

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Not sure if you think I was taking a shot at CPJ or not (I'm not I like CPJ a lot), but, things like this are oddities of contracts that seem weird to me. It seems like they're really meant to be a way to step down from a position without the nastiness of being fired, similar to hush money. Otherwise they don't really make sense. I agree with the statement that CPJ did GT a solid by stepping down.
We're good. [emoji106]

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Money is coming in for sure
Since, according to TStan, the GTAA won't be back in the black until 2023 it may not be coming in as fast as people think.

But, yes, we had already committed to ramping up football spending and had hit the fan base to get it started. (I helped a small bit on that.) But what Paul said is right; just because we are spending more doesn't mean we are spending enough and it will take years to see the effects. I was not surprised at the cost of the transition so far, but I was hoping for more spending on recruiting analysts. I'm sure some of the new kids will double up - or try to -but what we need is that 16 analyst staff that is the average in the ACC. That's the infrastructure that can make Relentless Recruiting (™ applied for) actually work. Looks like it may take a year or two to get to that level. Hope people here have that kind of patience.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Since, according to TStan, the GTAA won't be back in the black until 2023 it may not be coming in as fast as people think.

But, yes, we had already committed to ramping up football spending and had hit the fan base to get it started. (I helped a small bit on that.) But what Paul said is right; just because we are spending more doesn't mean we are spending enough and it will take years to see the effects. I was not surprised at the cost of the transition so far, but I was hoping for more spending on recruiting analysts. I'm sure some of the new kids will double up - or try to -but what we need is that 16 analyst staff that is the average in the ACC. That's the infrastructure that can make Relentless Recruiting (™ applied for) actually work. Looks like it may take a year or two to get to that level. Hope people here have that kind of patience.

Its a bit not true. Operational black vs donations for side projects are different so to speak. Gtaa will also be about break even for the rest of our lives. Its not a profit org. What it has it will spend. Some years red. Some black.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Lots of money came in once collins was announced. Essentially we are ramping up a year early vs prior coach. This woulda happened to some degree but more like 2020 once rev came in. Do not underestimate the impact GOL has had on the new guy. Both not only talking to todd but alot of his boys are supporting the program more. Its funny. Gol and fridge genuinely care about tech. So does paul. One guy in the middle probably already forgot he worked here. He could care a less.

So. I am not pitting anyone vs anyone. Its just a reality of the transition and timing with tv revenue. As I understand more will be hired soon as well.

If more money is coming in why is our “safety cushion” of funds now depleted? And why couldn’t these funds be freed up sooner to give the program a needed boost?

Regardless, I’m glad we are pushing forward to level the playing field a bit more.

If more funds truly are coming in I hope the field gets leveled further along with our other sports programs.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
as ive suggested before why not a volunteer group of local fans and maybe even satellite groups helping with the grunt work for the recruiting staff????? to help take up the slack,

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
as ive suggested before why not a volunteer group of local fans and maybe even satellite groups helping with the grunt work for the recruiting staff????? to help take up the slack,

Might not be allowed under NCAA rules. Not sure though. NCAA rules being what they are, even giving a kid a ride home can be a violation under some cirsinstances.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Might not be allowed under NCAA rules. Not sure though. NCAA rules being what they are, even giving a kid a ride home can be a violation under some cirsinstances.
This increase in money applied to more recruiting staff and recruiting travel actually adds a variable to the TO recruiting experiment So when the new staff moves our recruiting from 40-60 level to 20-40 level how much is weighted to the TO effect, vs the new staff’s energy vs the increase in budget and resources. Can we do a regression analysis on these variables to determine the proper weighting?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This increase in money applied to more recruiting staff and recruiting travel actually adds a variable to the TO recruiting experiment So when the new staff moves our recruiting from 40-60 level to 20-40 level how much is weighted to the TO effect, vs the new staff’s energy vs the increase in budget and resources. Can we do a regression analysis on these variables to determine the proper weighting?

Folks are gonna believe what they want to believe.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Who really cares? If we recruit better and see the results on the field it doesn’t matter what offense we run or who the coach is.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think it’s possible to know this.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think it’s possible to know this.

Agree. If the only change was CPJ switched the offense to what he had in Hawaii, then we’d have an experiment. Or if the only change was the continued increased funding for recruiting that was already underway, then we’d have an experiment. With the offense change, the complete turnover in staff, a larger staff, additional funds being made available, and who knows what else, we can’t draw any real conclusions. Clearly, there were players who declined to come to GT because of the TO, but we also got some players who came because the TO gave them the opportunity they wanted (JT being the best example).

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Agree. If the only change was CPJ switched the offense to what he had in Hawaii, then we’d have an experiment. Or if the only change was the continued increased funding for recruiting that was already underway, then we’d have an experiment. With the offense change, the complete turnover in staff, a larger staff, additional funds being made available, and who knows what else, we can’t draw any real conclusions. Clearly, there were players who declined to come to GT because of the TO, but we also got some players who came because the TO gave them the opportunity they wanted (JT being the best example).
It’s the whole middle school Science Fair conundrum, you must have only one independent variable.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
11 new off field staff and a considerably larger salary pool for assistants. It is nice to get confirmation that we are indeed increasing our investment.

On another note: Anyone hoping for a coaching change on the basketball side can forget it. Lol
The coach is not the problem!

Animal02

Banned
There are kids that decline to go to most schools for one reason or another.....