Coaching Carousel 9 - People die climbing mountains

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Kentucky press on the topic: https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...ct-ncaa-tournament-march-madness/73240746007/

Calipari was under a lot of pressure, but there were 34 million reasons not to fire him without cause. He was interested in the Ohio State job.

This seems like a mutual parting of the ways.
So you’re saying Kentucky was smart enough not to buy him back? Odd concept. Can’t imagine why they wouldn’t fight this and just pay him to go away like we did…

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Cal, at this point in his career, has ZERO tolerance for "pressure" from fans or administration.

I want to see who Ky brings in that they think is better.

slugboy

Staff member
Rick Pitino! :giggle:
I actually thought about that before you posted.

There was an argument earlier about who is a proven coach. I don’t think it’s fair to evenly compare a coach at Loyola vs one at Illinois or Kentucky—one has built in advantages that a school with fewer resources doesn’t. I can’t find a WAR stat for college coaches.

The closest I found was this, and it’s from six years ago:

IMG_2728.jpeg

Some coaches haven’t adjusted to transfers and NIL, like Tony Bennett. A lot of retired coaches in the upper right.

Be careful reading some of the names—you may shudder.

@CuseJacket Pearl is interesting. That’s a good list.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd put money on Oats, Pearl, or Drew. Don't see Wright saying yes
I don't see any way Alabama or Auburn will allow their coaches to jump conference rival Kentucky. They both have deep pockets and will find the money to keep them. I also don't see Hurley making the jump. He's a northeast guy with established recruiting lines up there. I don't see him wanting to jump into the recruiting mess in the south plus why jump when he is about to win his second straight title. Unless there is a huge money gap it doesn't make much sense for him to move. Don't see Pitino or Wright as viable options. My money would be on Drew or possible Donovan if he is feeling heat with the Bulls otherwise I would think he would stay away from the recruiting mess in college.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I could be wrong, but my gut tells me that the Kentucky job is actually not going to be so easy to fill, and that most name coaches won't even give it a superficial look. That job is a pressure cooker and if Calipari throws up his hands, most coaches are going to say, "no thanks."

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I could be wrong, but my gut tells me that the Kentucky job is actually not going to be so easy to fill, and that most name coaches won't even give it a superficial look. That job is a pressure cooker and if Calipari throws up his hands, most coaches are going to say, "no thanks."

Disagree. Kentucky is going to throw a LOT of money at the new coach (reports are they are going to offer Danny Hurley the richest contract in CBB history and dare him to say "No"). The great coaches are not scared to step in behind someone just as great. It's an SEC school, but basketball will always rule there. The new coach will have one of the richest CBB NIL collectives backing him, and the school almost recruits itself. Worst case scenario? The new coach makes a few tournaments, gets fired, had has a massive payout on his way to another opportunity to win elsewhere.

Nick Saban, who is much more successful than Calipari is, and everyone said the same thing. 'Bama only went out and got a top 5 CFB coach after Saban retired, and this was with Saban saying he would still be occupying an office at the football complex and still be part of the program.

Lesson: Someone good will always take the job if there's big money involved.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
There is more than a good chance your gut is wrong. Competitors don't pass up opportunities to compete.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
And every advantage Kentucky has is exceeded by enormous expectations.

Established, "proven" coaches have built their success prior to NIL and the portal. They, as a group, are not great fans of the changes and we see many just getting out. They already have money. I don't think most of them will be interested.

Someone will take the job, but it may be another Tubby hire or even an up and comer. Even a Stoudamire type out of the pros!

But, no need to debate. We will see.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
There is more than a good chance your gut is wrong. Competitors don't pass up opportunities to compete.
Maybe I just don't understand what you are saying, but why can't they compete from where they are? Oats or Pearl, for instance?

What elite, established, "name" coach is not competing at their present gig? Even a guy like Few, maybe the best college coach out there, is he not competing at Gonzaga?

I think the job will only appeal to coaches with a strong ... ummm .... ego. Competing is not what they crave, what they crave is to conquer on the Center Stage. Maybe that is what you mean by competing?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Disagree. Kentucky is going to throw a LOT of money at the new coach (reports are they are going to offer Danny Hurley the richest contract in CBB history and dare him to say "No"). The great coaches are not scared to step in behind someone just as great. It's an SEC school, but basketball will always rule there. The new coach will have one of the richest CBB NIL collectives backing him, and the school almost recruits itself. Worst case scenario? The new coach makes a few tournaments, gets fired, had has a massive payout on his way to another opportunity to win elsewhere.

Nick Saban, who is much more successful than Calipari is, and everyone said the same thing. 'Bama only went out and got a top 5 CFB coach after Saban retired, and this was with Saban saying he would still be occupying an office at the football complex and still be part of the program.

Lesson: Someone good will always take the job if there's big money involved.
Does KY have a better brand than UConn?