Coaching Carousel 9 - People die climbing mountains

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Thats a homerun hire by DePaul. Im not sure what happened at Ohio State but Holtmann is a really good coach and gets to remain in the midwest. This is the best opportunity to resuscitate that program since Ray Meyer left.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
They had an awful year this year, but I really didn't think he did that bad of a job there until this year.

I imagine with the off court incidents he had plus the health scare, they might've just been looking for a reason? Seems kinda quick to me.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Howard has sort of an interesting coaching career. He has the Elite Eight run in 20-21, but that is the only season he won 20+ games.
He is 1 game over .500 in conference for his career.
In 3 of his 5 seasons he was largely a middle of the pack type finisher. One top of the conference and one bottom of the conference.
I think Michigan simply had higher overall expectations and the direction of the program did not seem to be headed in the right way.

While nothing is likely to happen for a couple of years due to his contract, fans in Memphis seem to be tiring of Penny as well. While he has won at least 20 games every year he has just 2 NCAA appearances and 1 NCAA victory in 6 years.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed. Fkng fraud hack.

Seems like a strange hire for such a supposed big job. Am I missing something there?
They liked how he's coached the team since he took over. He's 6-2 as the head guy, he has a relationship with every player on the team and most likely the majority of the recruits as well. They don't have to spend a ton of money, the new AD feels comfortable with him and they probably have less to worry about in terms of the portal then they would in hiring a completely new coach. Texas did similar last year with Rodney Terry after he took over for Chris Beard.