Coaching Carousel 8 - Teamwork means never taking all the blame yourself

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Must have had a different crew reffing the FAU game. Bilas said the UT Duke game was more like a hockey game than college BB.
Seems the SEC teams are all built for rugby-basket, which works when the refs allow it. The trick is what happens when the opponent is up for the challenge or the refs call a tight game.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Seems the SEC teams are all built for rugby-basket, which works when the refs allow it. The trick is what happens when the opponent is up for the challenge or the refs call a tight game.
Opposite problem for ACC teams who are used to some fouls being called that don't get called with non ACC refs.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Must have had a different crew reffing the FAU game. Bilas said the UT Duke game was more like a hockey game than college BB.
It certainly was a different style of officiating. Not nearly as rugby focused.

But probably more importantly, or impactful, was FAU played new school basketball and spread UT out which Duke really didn't. FAU drove the lane and was almost exclusively looking to pass out to the 3 point line where Duke tried to drive and power through the timber. With the spacing from 3 point shooting FAU carved up UT. I was also impressed with the grit FAU played D with recognizing UT has had offensive issues all year.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

But probably more importantly, or impactful, was FAU played new school basketball and spread UT out which Duke really didn't. FAU drove the lane and was almost exclusively looking to pass out to the 3 point line where Duke tried to drive and power through the timber. With the spacing from 3 point shooting FAU carved up UT. I was also impressed with the grit FAU played D with recognizing UT has had offensive issues all year.
I didn't watch the UT FAU game. Duke likes to take it to the paint and draw fouls. Must have frustrated them to not get calls they normally get. Under Coach K their goal was to make more FT's than the other team took. I am sure that goal hasn't changed.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I didn't watch the UT FAU game. Duke likes to take it to the paint and draw fouls. Must have frustrated them to not get calls they normally get. Under Coach K their goal was to make more FT's than the other team took. I am sure that goal hasn't changed.
That is definitely still the goal.

This past season they made 475 FT to their opponents attempting 493. In ACC games it was 259 made to 288 Opponent attempted.
Not quite as pronounced as under K but still a pretty heavy difference.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
The big kid from Tennessee should've been thrown out last night for his assault on the FAU kid. Honestly, he should've been banned for some of his BS in SEC play. he's a thug and Barnes uses him as a hit man to hurt other players and set a tone that you will be physically assaulted when you play them.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The big kid from Tennessee should've been thrown out last night for his assault on the FAU kid. Honestly, he should've been banned for some of his BS in SEC play. he's a thug and Barnes uses him as a hit man to hurt other players and set a tone that you will be physically assaulted when you play them.
yes; I was also surprised that they only came up with flagrant 1 on that... F2 and ejection was warranted.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

You make a great point. FAU just wasn't as affected by the physical play as Duke was. I was having similar thoughts with the way this tournament is playing out. Officials are letting a LOT of contact go on the first shot. Whether driving the lane or even the post, there aren't many fouls called. With all of the contact, offensive players cant elevate and these long athletic guys get help side blocks or really affect shots. The offenses having success have guys who can get to the middle and hit that 10-15 footer. With everyone resigned to shooting 3s or attacking the glass, the monsters in the paint can stay around the rim. having a couple guys hitting those mid-range shots pulls the bigs out, not to mention it gives better angles to kick out. Is the mid-range back?

All of that said, I am also noticing that the teams most affected by this physical play are pretty young (or at least young relative to their competition). When you have a team full of "COVID seniors" playing physical ball against frosh and sophs, you'll see how physically overmatched they are. Duke vs Tenn comes to mind, as does Purdue's back court, which was eaten alive by contact and active hands...

seedjckt

Georgia Tech Fan
That is definitely still the goal.

This past season they made 475 FT to their opponents attempting 493. In ACC games it was 259 made to 288 Opponent attempted.
Not quite as pronounced as under K but still a pretty heavy difference.
There are 14 other coaches and AD in the conf. How long will this continue? It bad for the conference for Duke to look so weak in the NCAA tournament because they don’t get those calls. I bet there record in conference would take a hit or they would be better prepared for the NCAA