Coaching Carousel 6 - You can't make everyone happy. You are not bacon.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Uga most lost Chad Dollar to Cincinnati
That's probably not a bad thing for them. Having seen him at GT, he is really strong on the recruiting trail for about 12-18 months and then it just seems to dry up. He's not known to bring much outside of recruiting. i will say when he was at GT my understanding was they were not unhappy to see him leave.

slugboy

Staff member
That's probably not a bad thing for them. Having seen him at GT, he is really strong on the recruiting trail for about 12-18 months and then it just seems to dry up. He's not known to bring much outside of recruiting. i will say when he was at GT my understanding was they were not unhappy to see him leave.
I know that P6 assistant jobs are in demand, but if I was a good assistant with prospects, I don’t know that I’d want to go there this year. We’ll see if they upgrade on Dollar.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Chad should literally run to Cincinnati. They must be paying him a lot to suffer through Crean at UGA.
Ahhh. I misread the post.

Good for Dollar to gtfo of Athens.

LOL!!!! How much would Jonas Hayes need to get paid to work for Crean?

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
LOL!!!! How much would Jonas Hayes need to get paid to work for Crean?

Would not be surprised if a few prominent UGA alums have reached out to Hayes and told him to get ready to come home in a year to lead the program. The writing is on the wall for Crean. It's not a matter of "if", but "when" Crean gets sh!t canned.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Would not be surprised if a few prominent UGA alums have reached out to Hayes and told him to get ready to come home in a year to lead the program. The writing is on the wall for Crean. It's not a matter of "if", but "when" Crean gets sh!t canned.
I thought we were already operating under the assumption that Hayes is getting teed up to return & coach UGA next season.

The question is whether it happens next month at this point.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Right now the idea of Hayes as a HC in Athens doesn't really scare me. He can recruit, but so far during his career the teams he has been a coach on have been pretty mediocre.

A P5 program hiring an asst with no HC experience is fairly dicey.

UGA won't fire Crean right now, not enough alums care about basketball and he has a big buyout that drops after next season. (They have the money to pay the buyout, but would they want to spend that money on the bball program).

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
He was already an assistant at Alabama. I don't think him moving further away is going to make him a bigger threat to us.

slugboy

Staff member
How many people is Indiana going to hire?

Ya Rosemond is joining the Indiana staff. LaBarrie is, I think, still coaching G League with Paul Hewitt.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He was already an assistant at Alabama. I don't think him moving further away is going to make him a bigger threat to us.
At Alabama, he beat us for Collin Sexton. He was at UGA before Bama.

Now he's selling an NBA pathway at a historically relevant program with a rabid fan base.

It's not ideal for juiced in recruiters to be at good programs that will create more competition for us. All of our best local targets will now get Indiana, Xavier, Cincinnati offers instead of just landing directly at GT.

Also, because he was off last year, he could basically be hanging out at every event developing relationships with multiple classes of kids, their parents, their coaches, etc.

This will be one more pain in the *** for recruiting.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
At Alabama, he beat us for Collin Sexton. He was at UGA before Bama.

And now he isn't at Alabama so won't be helping them beat us. And while Indiana is a better program, it's a better program in Indiana and not the south east and their base of recruiting is the midwest not the south east. Sure, every once in a while they might draw someone from the SE but it isn't going to be their new base or anything.

If anything, him being hired away from the SE probably is good for us.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And now he isn't at Alabama so won't be helping them beat us. And while Indiana is a better program, it's a better program in Indiana and not the south east and their base of recruiting is the midwest not the south east. Sure, every once in a while they might draw someone from the SE but it isn't going to be their new base or anything.

If you have look at their roster it doesn't seem like they recruit in the SE. It will be interesting to watch. Maybe that will change.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

The whole point of hiring him is to start bringing ATL talent there.

The day is gonna come when this is DLaB pulling ATL kids somewhere.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Because he was consistently pulling ATL kids to Alabama?
He literally beat us out for Collin Sexton. Signed Kira Lewis from the GA Stars.

If you can't wrap your mind around the fact we've got one more shark in the water for ATL kids, I don't know what to tell you.