Coaches on cheating in college basketball

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like the CBS Sports site. They have alot of college basketball content.
one item they have is a weekly question with coaches where they are allowed to give anonymous answers. This week's question was on recruiting in college basketball.

Only 14% thought it was cleaner than 5 yrs ago.

What was most interesting though was how they feel its changed. Rather than cash in bags, they say it has moved to agents and shoe companies. Basically, coaches feel most of the top kids have agents already. And that alot of the top kids are being steered to schools - particularly to schools that match their AAU affiliation and where there agents (in all but signed contracts) have good relationships with a HC.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...sketball-recruiting-isnt-getting-any-cleaner/

Clearly an area where having tha Russell contract is paying major dividends.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
CBSSports has been the best for a number of years now. Dwarfs anything BSPN puts together re. college bball.

Lastly, did you mean to say that having the Russell contract is not paying dividends?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I was bring ironic and I clearly failed

That's what you get for being so literal all the time. I was thinking, "Surely RR can't be making some semblance of a joke here."

The notion that kids essentially have agents already is pretty striking, btw. The notion that the shoe cartels ... er companies are behind it, is pretty par for the course.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
do we have a separate shoe contract or is Russell the supplier of our basketball shoes as well? I am embarassed to say I don't know - but I don't think Russell does shoes do they?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess 1 assistant coached at Pitt.

I get what they're trying to do, but that's just a dicey way to do it.

If they'd had posted a graphic stating more clearly the new staff has coached X number of NBA players and Y number of total pro players, it would have been just as attractive as opening themselves up to this.

Side note: 2 NBA players in over 20 years for Rutgers and I only remember Quincy Douby who was an NBA bust. Our staff should have a field day with this in recruiting Alvarado.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
image.png