Coach Sewak

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Players liked him at southern, too. And he had prolific offenses. But discipline suffered, as well as academics. He was losing control.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Eric has I believe in the past mentioned Sewak doing a bad job of recruiting and having in particular been a neglectful host when recruits had visited campus a time or two.

We all know that CPJ intimated having had a serious sit-down and evaluation with CMS after last season. Of course, CPJ surely does this with all his "direct reports" every year. But I remember his having made it very clear that he was extremely displeased with last year's OL performance (or maybe even OL performance since losing the 2nd assistant coach who originally helped at that position?). Anyway, CPJ retained CMS but brought in Rychleski, in part, to help on OL.

Given results so far that may be the only change that was needed. Because as far as the recruiting aspect goes look at what is said about Sewak in today's Carvell piece on AJ Gray: http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2014/11/12/georgia-tech-locked-in-like-oak-with-two-way-star/

I was never in a position to proffer a strong opinion on CMS's capabilities or efforts as a GT coach. But if CPJ lit a fire under him and if that was necessary to get better results from CMS on this year's recruiting trail and if getting him help in terms of position coaching the OL is what was needed to see this year's positive gains than three "hip-hip-hooray's" to CPJ and a hearty "atta boy!" to CMS for stepping up with OL improvement this year and doing so well at getting after AJ Gray. Maybe this offense is so complex at the OL that CMS simply could not handle it all by himself plus fulfill his duties recruiting as well without having a second OL coach?

Tech simply cannot afford to ignore any "weakest links" as far as coaches go on the recruiting front. There are way too many obstacles to overcome to not have everyone giving their best effort and always seeking to improve.
I'm with you on that complexity statement 100%.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Sewak has stepped in up in recruiting...landed Stickler, Brown and Whitley last year.

This year he has Cottrell, Mitchell and Gray.

in 2013 - 0
2012 - 1..Gotsis
2011 - 0
2010 - 0
2009 - 1 Will Jackson
WOW WEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm still not a sewak fan at all, but it's hard to argue with the results this year. give coach Ray some credit, he stepped in and this line has dramatically improved. The couple offensive lineman I know arnt big on Sewak, but maybe they are in the minority. We still do some fundamentally boneheaded stuff at the tackle position that Id like to see shored up. But this line has exceeded my expectations for this year, hope to see them build on that success

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
I've vocally advocated cutting Sewak loose in the past, so ill give credit where its due: this doesn't even kinda look like the OL from last year. Big, disciplined, and mean. Helluva job from both OL coaches this year...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm still not a sewak fan at all, but it's hard to argue with the results this year. give coach Ray some credit, he stepped in and this line has dramatically improved. The couple offensive lineman I know arnt big on Sewak, but maybe they are in the minority. We still do some fundamentally boneheaded stuff at the tackle position that Id like to see shored up. But this line has exceeded my expectations for this year, hope to see them build on that success
I thought Sewak coached the guards and center?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He does

I think that poster is referring to fundamentally odd scheme things vs their technique or fundamentals are taught bad or are poor.

At least that is how i interpret it.
Well if he was safe after last year, there's no way he's going anywhere after this year.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Players liked him at southern, too. And he had prolific offenses. But discipline suffered, as well as academics. He was losing control.

I'm not sure how much control there was to lose in the first place. When the starting B-back gets a DUI (might have been multiple) and the punishment wasn't that stringent (it's been a while, so I can't remember back that far), yeah, there's a discipline problem.

The story that made the rounds after the 2005 playoff loss to Texas State was that the AD went to Mike and said he needed a new DC. Mike wouldn't give in. So the AD said I'll get a new head coach. Enter Brian VanGorder. And Georgia Southern's winning ways exited.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
After Saturday when we play against 8 seniors on defense we should revisit this thread.
I think we will be very proud.

Coach has addressed this ol problem we have lived with for the last 4 years.

What we have now is OL men with large butts blocking for a stud qb.
The bid thing this year is we have played a lot of players in the ol.
That is how we should prevail in the second have - subs will be fresh.
We have talent, experience, depth, and they are well coached.
This game is a statement game for the ol.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Last year there were a lot of injuries on Oline. I think that had a lot to do with coaching perceptions.
It had a lot to do with both perceptions and results.

But Sewak was getting criticized for the seeming lack of progress on the OL from the time Todd Spencer was asked to resign for recruiting violations in 2012, and as Eric shows he certainly seemed to not be making proper effort in recruiting.

Given how much his perceived involvement and commitment in recruiting has changed basically since the time in which CPJ must have had some serious conversations with him I think it is safe to both give CMS some credit as "knowing how to coach" (especially given his long association with CPJ and his avoiding being fired) but also as having redoubled his overall efforts as a Tech coach, where everyone must really pitch in on recruiting.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It had a lot to do with both perceptions and results.

But Sewak was getting criticized for the seeming lack of progress on the OL from the time Todd Spencer was asked to resign for recruiting violations in 2012, and as Eric shows he certainly seemed to not be making proper effort in recruiting.

Given how much his perceived involvement and commitment in recruiting has changed basically since the time in which CPJ must have had some serious conversations with him I think it is safe to both give CMS some credit as "knowing how to coach" (especially given his long association with CPJ and his avoiding being fired) but also as having redoubled his overall efforts as a Tech coach, where everyone must really pitch in on recruiting.
Redemption is not exclusive.