Coach Sewak

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I work with an officer in the Coweta Co sheriff dept. who played under Coach Sewak when he was the head coach at Ga Sou. He told me that the players loved him! And that he did also! He said that Sewak came to his house for dinner. I am completely sold on the whole staff. Just wait till you see the whole depth chart for next year. It is going to blow you away!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I work with an officer in the Coweta Co sheriff dept. who played under Coach Sewak when he was the head coach at Ga Sou. He told me that the players loved him! And that he did also! He said that Sewak came to his house for dinner. I am completely sold on the whole staff. Just wait till you see the whole depth chart for next year. It is going to blow you away!
Sewak has done a tremendous job this year.

As far as next year's depth chart goes, don't we pretty much know it already?

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Sewak has done a tremendous job this year.

As far as next year's depth chart goes, don't we pretty much know it already?
Well, when the recruiting is finished and place those names on the roster (which I meant) I am not sure if EVERYONE has thought of the whole squad on paper by possible positions. TALENT EVERYWHERE!!!! Sorry; I probably did not make myself clear. Thanks for your reply.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
This. sewak didn't become a great o line coach over the off season. Our most successful offensive lines have been when sewak has had help at the position.
To me it seems our strength is at the GCG, which is where Sewak is fully responsible. Tackles seem to be our only weak spot, and that is the group getting help. I think people forget how much attrition we had through injuries on the OL last year and want to dump all the blame on the coach.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
It may be that in our offense it really helps to have one guy working with the tackles and the other in the interior.

Our tackle play is greatly improved.

33 doesnt like Sewak and no amount of OL success will convince him otherwise.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
How about the strength and conditioning this season versus years past? I think our Offensive Line seems to be healthier than years past, and also seem to be bigger and stronger while remaining flexible and quick enough to get to the second level.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Eric has I believe in the past mentioned Sewak doing a bad job of recruiting and having in particular been a neglectful host when recruits had visited campus a time or two.

We all know that CPJ intimated having had a serious sit-down and evaluation with CMS after last season. Of course, CPJ surely does this with all his "direct reports" every year. But I remember his having made it very clear that he was extremely displeased with last year's OL performance (or maybe even OL performance since losing the 2nd assistant coach who originally helped at that position?). Anyway, CPJ retained CMS but brought in Rychleski, in part, to help on OL.

Given results so far that may be the only change that was needed. Because as far as the recruiting aspect goes look at what is said about Sewak in today's Carvell piece on AJ Gray: http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2014/11/12/georgia-tech-locked-in-like-oak-with-two-way-star/

I was never in a position to proffer a strong opinion on CMS's capabilities or efforts as a GT coach. But if CPJ lit a fire under him and if that was necessary to get better results from CMS on this year's recruiting trail and if getting him help in terms of position coaching the OL is what was needed to see this year's positive gains than three "hip-hip-hooray's" to CPJ and a hearty "atta boy!" to CMS for stepping up with OL improvement this year and doing so well at getting after AJ Gray. Maybe this offense is so complex at the OL that CMS simply could not handle it all by himself plus fulfill his duties recruiting as well without having a second OL coach?

Tech simply cannot afford to ignore any "weakest links" as far as coaches go on the recruiting front. There are way too many obstacles to overcome to not have everyone giving their best effort and always seeking to improve.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Being completely transparent, he didn't really have to recruit Gotsis. Much of that work was done by CPJ and Gotsis' coach down under.

Glad to see he's finally starting to increase his presence and help more in recruiting because he is a pretty funny guy.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
So recruiting was very likely a big part of CPJ's year-end review for CMS the last couple years.

Possibly the extra staff has really helped CMS ut a lot. He may have just been terrible at getting through the culling process and film watching of the potential recruits in his regions. These coaches do have family obligations and such as well.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
In fairness, he didn't really have to recruit Gotsis. Much of that work was done by CPJ and Gotsis' coach down under.

Glad to see he's finally starting to increase his presence and help more in recruiting because he is a pretty funny guy.

Yep.

So really only one guy in 5 years.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Has he stepped up his coaching, too?

For me, Sewak has always been a really smart X and O coach...but his OL just wasn't getting the job done. I know at one point last season CPJ pretty much stepped in and was coaching the OL...I thought he was gone then...and I was all for it with that and the effort he was putting in on the recruiting trail.

Maybe it's the players, the extra coach, etc...but the OL has been playing a lot better.

I am not sure if he's coaching any diffrent than he was, but I know the product has been a lot better.