Coach Paul Johnson's Press Conference 9/17/2013

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Download here:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/gtathletics/Z0000002.mp3

Did Coach Cutcliffe make a comment about the dangers of cut blocking?

Pretty funny retort by CPJ when he says let's see how many of Duke's defensive starters will be out against Pittsburgh this Saturday. Said give him some data and proof that more guys get injured that way; probably a reason why no one has done any research. Nobody wants to hurt anybody.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I am a big supporter of the NCAA doing what it can to preserve the safety of players. However, cut blocks in the open field when they are 1 on 1 (not engaged with another lineman) are fair and safe. If they want to add another rule change for safety reasons then I say stop players from picking up other players and slamming them to the ground on a tackle. A falcons defender did that this weekend against the rams. I support the falcons but picking up a player and slamming him is wrestling not football. Cut blocks are systematic football strategy. Cutcliffe knows this and he is just bummed about the loss imo.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Here's Ken @ AJC's article about it:
http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/georgia-tech/2013/sep/17/johnson-defends-cut-blocking/

“There’s a lot of movement out there (on the perimeter),” Cutcliffe said following the game. “Player safety is such a big issue and blocking below the waist in high school is gone. There’s a lot of talk about it in the NFL right now, so I’ll let the rules makers worry about that, but right now, every rule that really has been a major change in the game has been from the emphasis of player safety, so we’ll see where it is.”

He went on to advocate making cut blocks illegal.

“The rules are so hard to understand,” he said. “The officials can’t officiate it, in my opinion. That’s why I’m a proponent to just take it out of the game. It’s easier to officiate, it’s safer for the kids. That’s kind of the reason.”
Really surprised Cutcliffe made such a comment.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
John,

Thanks for linking to the interview. I have not been able to find any postgame media interviews from the Duke game, does anyone know where to find the post-game quotes at least? I usually see them as part of the wrap-up links on the Ramblin Wreck site but they never appeared this time.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think the committee for safety, or whatever it's called, is all wrong about cut blocking. They essentially decided to draw more attention to cuts downfield, in the open, where it's one on one, where the defender almost always sees the block coming and has plenty of time to react to the blocker. Where it's most dangerous is in the tight and crowded confines surrounding the LOS where players are much bigger and much less agile. Ironically, here is where they're allowed more freedom to cut. WTF?

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the committee for safety, or whatever it's called, is all wrong about cut blocking. They essentially decided to draw more attention to cuts downfield, in the open, where it's one on one, where the defender almost always sees the block coming and has plenty of time to react to the blocker. Where it's most dangerous is in the tight and crowded confines surrounding the LOS where players are much bigger and much less agile. Ironically, here is where they're allowed more freedom to cut. WTF?
Follow the money. The cut block rules are there to prevent teams like GT and GSU from scoring touchdowns against the top SEC teams with the largest athletes. See below: