Coach Johnson vs. Georgia Tech

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
I would love to see a video of a Johnson-coached Navy team playing Tech, but they never played against us while he was coaching Navy, at least not when he was HC. But he was OC there in '95 and '96. I think they came into Grant Field and beat us that year. Is there any film of the game out there?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Don't know about the film but beating Tech in 1995 would not be that big a deal for Navy. What would have been VERY INTERESTING would have been a match up of Tenuta's great defenses from Chan's early years against a Coach Johnson Navy team. It would have been a chess match for the ages like Bud Foster and PJ have every year now.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Don't know about the film but beating Tech in 1995 would not be that big a deal for Navy. What would have been VERY INTERESTING would have been a match up of Tenuta's great defenses from Chan's early years against a Coach Johnson Navy team. It would have been a chess match for the ages like Bud Foster and PJ have every year now.

Tenuta was an uva in 2013 i think and 2014

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Looks like we lost to them 36-26 in 1996. Can't find any footage of this game, but on youtube, you can see the 1999 opener when we beat them like a drum.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
In 1996 Dave Huxtable was the defensive coordinate at Tech. Not sure him and O'Leary saw eye to eye.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
It's not really chess if one guy is always throwing ROCK.

We probably would have won because Daryl Richard/etc were beasts on the DL.

Looks like we lost to them 36-26 in 1996. Can't find any footage of this game, but on youtube, you can see the 1999 opener when we beat them like a drum.
This actually was an important game. If we had won then we would have gone to a bowl game. Freshman QB Joe Hamilton did not have a good game.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
In 1996 Dave Huxtable was the defensive coordinate at Tech. Not sure him and O'Leary saw eye to eye.

I am not sure ANY defensive coordinator saw eye to eye with the Irish man. He got along great with Ralph but that is easy when you have JoeHam, Dez White, Jon Carman, Kelly Campbell and the boys.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

I saw that game in person and kept wondering why we can't stop this s---.Otoh--when I noticed that the Navy OLs actually ran on their toes sometimes going to the line,(instead of lumbering) I knew the quickness factor was REAL.