Coach Geoff Collins: Separating Fact from Hype

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Winning can and will elevate the program, but in 2019, I find it a stretch to call Tech an elite football program.

Allow me to introduce a parable: say my wife serves me a meal from some recipe she found. I may not like it. But when she asks me, I have 2 choices: I can "stretch" the truth a bit and say something nice. Or I can be straightforward. The latter gives me the satisfaction of being true to myself. But later in the evening, the ROI is better if i choose to take the "stretch" option. At the end of the day, everything in life boils down to mathematics and risk/reward analysis imo.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Allow me to introduce a parable: say my wife serves me a meal from some recipe she found. I may not like it. But when she asks me, I have 2 choices: I can "stretch" the truth a bit and say something nice. Or I can be straightforward. The latter gives me the satisfaction of being true to myself. But later in the evening, the ROI is better if i choose to take the "stretch" option. At the end of the day, everything in life boils down to mathematics and risk/reward analysis imo.
You are lucky my don't ask or care if I like it. If I ask what is it, I get shut up and eat it or take me out to eat.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Gt center of college football

Best player - heisman
Best coach - dodd
Best asst coach - broyles
Best AD - homer rice award

Seeing a trend here? Just in mere awards gt is center stage. They are all named after us.
CGC needs to be pushing this stuff out and letting everyone know that Tech is the model for elite in all aspects of college football

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I have to admit my reaction:
1) read "nevermind"
2) look to see who posted it
3) really want to know what initial reaction was

Well it was a quote of my post above. Which is about as simple and benign a post talking about how all the awards are named after tech guys. So. Who knows. But i have in my alert queue he quoted my post in this thread. So....

Animal02

Banned
Spoken like a true engineer.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have to admit my reaction:
1) read "nevermind"
2) look to see who posted it
3) really want to know what initial reaction was
I responded to an earlier post. Said something incorrect. Realized it. And went back and erased it so as to not look more ignorant that I sometimes do. Had nothing to do with the comments immediately preceeding my post. It wasn't a contrary post, just something that wasn't accurate.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We remember your post of about 2 months ago --- " we will know in a year ".

Imo, it's unlikely we will know at end of year.

BUT If we do, then it's going to be either great or a dumpster fire.

We will have more of an idea then however. So far we have seen the book cover and prologue. In a year we will have the first chapter in and a good idea where the story is going.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Concerning fact or hype about Tech being an elite program.

One could argue Tech has fallen from the elite rankings. Us old guys remember some of the glory days but I doubt the millennials see Tech as an elite program. As well as current recruits.

Same could be said about other programs. I wonder if the younger generations consider Nebraska an elite program?

Winning can and will elevate the program, but in 2019, I find it a stretch to call Tech an elite football program.

Minnesota has 3 more nattties than Tech and no one sees them as elite. I hope they get back to that also though as they are far more likable than the B1G factories.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I responded to an earlier post. Said something incorrect. Realized it. And went back and erased it so as to not look more ignorant that I sometimes do. Had nothing to do with the comments immediately preceeding my post. It wasn't a contrary post, just something that wasn't accurate.

Cool yeah thats what i assumed. I do it too

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You know what gets me about this thread? It's the assumption that Tech was ever anything less then a top 25 program. Because that's what is motivating a lot of replies to this thread and others: that we had somehow slipped off the scope. We finished 6th in the country in 2014 and won 9 games (how were we not ranked?) in 2016. All I can say about that is that we have a) a lot of people who are definitely glass-half-full types and b) a lot of people who wanted us to do badly enough in consecutive years - you could hear them baying all over the site after our loss to Pitt last season - for Paul to be let go. That kind of negativity - we had it even in 2014 - didn't help the program's "image", though it didn't seem to affect our field performance that much.

This ties in with what I said in another thread: the expectation at Tech - from almost everyone from the coaches on down - has always been for us to finish in the top 25. All this I hear about how we have "changed the culture" has always struck me as strange. As far as I can tell, we always wanted the program to finish in the top 25. That some in our fan base didn't see this is a case of willful blindness so near as I can see. And that didn't help the case Paul kept making - over and over - for more resources to get the program back to where it was pre-Bob.

Well, now we are committing the resources we will need to get the ship back to level with our opponents. Now we'll see if the product on the field improves was a result. And I'll expect top 25 rankings soon enough, just as I did before.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You know what gets me about this thread? It's the assumption that Tech was ever anything less then a top 25 program. Because that's what is motivating a lot of replies to this thread and others: that we had somehow slipped off the scope. We finished 6th in the country in 2014 and won 9 games (how were we not ranked?) in 2016. All I can say about that is that we have a) a lot of people who are definitely glass-half-full types and b) a lot of people who wanted us to do badly enough in consecutive years - you could hear them baying all over the site after our loss to Pitt last season - for Paul to be let go. That kind of negativity - we had it even in 2014 - didn't help the program's "image", though it didn't seem to affect our field performance that much.

This ties in with what I said in another thread: the expectation at Tech - from almost everyone from the coaches on down - has always been for us to finish in the top 25. All this I hear about how we have "changed the culture" has always struck me as strange. As far as I can tell, we always wanted the program to finish in the top 25. That some in our fan base didn't see this is a case of willful blindness so near as I can see. And that didn't help the case Paul kept making - over and over - for more resources to get the program back to where it was pre-Bob.

Well, now we are committing the resources we will need to get the ship back to level with our opponents. Now we'll see if the product on the field improves was a result. And I'll expect top 25 rankings soon enough, just as I did before.

The replies to this comment will be interesting...especially since there are MULTIPLE threads on this board where fans voice their views on the expectations of our football program, and their feelings about whether is reasonable for GT to attain a certain status (say top 25 status) given today's football environment.

This isn't about getting ranked in the top 25 once every 4-5 years, but CONSISTENTLY being in that tier (hence CGC's comment that he was here when GT was ranked in the top 25 every year...which was true). Like I said, it's going to be interesting to see people reply to this...mostly because the internet is forever, and battles back and forth between the "pie in the sky" group versus the "grounded" group (to be nice) over the years is archived on this board for all to read.

Gonna go make some popcorn...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Every circumstance doesn’t require the same level of honesty. It’s one thing to fib a little about liking your wife’s cooking to spare her feelings, it’s a whole other thing lying to recruits or boosters about your program to get commitments.

Animal02

Banned

Yes,. The "change the culture" meme is a bit grating.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The replies to this comment will be interesting...especially since there are MULTIPLE threads on this board where fans voice their views on the expectations of our football program, and their feelings about whether is reasonable for GT to attain a certain status (say top 25 status) given today's football environment.

This isn't about getting ranked in the top 25 once every 4-5 years, but CONSISTENTLY being in that tier (hence CGC's comment that he was here when GT was ranked in the top 25 every year...which was true).
First, not me, dude. I think we can reach the top 25 pretty regularly, just like we have recently, if we put up the cash.

Second, it depends what you mean by "consistently". It has become more and more difficult for any but the top 8 or so programs to get to the top 25 every single year. Schedules are tougher due to the roster limits and the bothersome fact that you have to be in a P5 conference and win in it to get to the top 25. Since everybody in those conferences is hot to get to the top 25 too, it makes the competition that much greater. I'd like to see us get to the top 25 every year, but I doubt we'll be able to pull that off, given how the football bounces and the quality of our opponents. (Which, btw, we could handle by trying to get easier schedules.) I'd like to see us finish in the top 25 more then 3 years out of the last 11, however. 5 or 6 out of the next 10 and seasons where we are a bounce away otherwise would do just fine. That's what I wanted and nearly got from Paul and it's what I'd like to see from Coach.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

This isn't about getting ranked in the top 25 once every 4-5 years, but CONSISTENTLY being in that tier (hence CGC's comment that he was here when GT was ranked in the top 25 every year...which was true). Like I said, it's going to be interesting to see people reply to this...mostly because the internet is forever, and battles back and forth between the "pie in the sky" group versus the "grounded" group (to be nice) over the years is archived on this board for all to read.

Gonna go make some popcorn...

Every Tech fan wants to see Tech ranked every year. Most think it can happen with the right resources and staff. Few think it is not harder to do so at Tech than most other schools.

The funding still isn’t up to par. So thinking the switch will be flipped instantly is not very realistic.