Coach Cook

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i apologize in advance if this is not the right forum to place this and or the subject is not suitable for discussion.
if this works than maybe we can start other threads wrt the other coaches. ie coach roof..... coach johnson etc. threads used as a general discussion wrt the coaches as we do with the recruits?

anyhoo... from what i have read coach cook has a pretty good resume. how is that translating to what is reality? what i read in the newspaper what reality may be two different things.

how is he doing wrt being qb coach? and his recruiting? i assume that cpj is picking his brain for wrinkles he can add to his offense? is there a chance that coach cook get's promoted? i would imagine that cpj considers him a pupil????

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I would love to gain insight into how assistants really fit into the breakdown of praise and blame on a college football team. They are so rarely interviewed and the head coach frequently just speaks of a royal "we" about the coaching staff or may sometimes single out the DC for his game planning. It would be nice if the GTAA did little video features where they follow a coach around for a day and show us their duties and what kinds of interaction they have with players, staff, and recruits.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I would love to gain insight into how assistants really fit into the breakdown of praise and blame on a college football team. They are so rarely interviewed and the head coach frequently just speaks of a royal "we" about the coaching staff or may sometimes single out the DC for his game planning. It would be nice if the GTAA did little video features where they follow a coach around for a day and show us their duties and what kinds of interaction they have with players, staff, and recruits.
Great idea. When HC extension is discussed, I keep thinking if I were a head coach making millions, I would ear mark part of that to my staff. It is not just the HC that makes a team successful. Just like it an't the running back that does it all by himself.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Assistants are the most important.....period. Every great team i have seen, in hindsight, ended up having great assistants.

GOL on one staff had doug marrone. The fridge. Ted roof. Bill obrien. 5 nfl and ncaa big time head coaches.

Look at ross's 1990 staff.

There may be a chance in 15 years we look back at this staff and say similar.

In 2009. We had bohannan monken both hc now too. We felt their loss for a few years too.

Assistants are so important it's ridiculous. Its also why they r fired and turned over alot too.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Great idea. When HC extension is discussed, I keep thinking if I were a head coach making millions, I would ear mark part of that to my staff. It is not just the HC that makes a team successful. Just like it an't the running back that does it all by himself.
Ummmm...Richt has supposedly done that and NCAA wasn't happy. I remember all the UGA fans explaining what a saint he was.

http://espn.go.com/colleges/georgia...-mark-richt-paid-staff-own-pocket-report-says
Wow! Someone please explain to me why that is problem other than a recent former player being put on coaching staff and then getting extra from HC. Which is implied delayed compensation for a recruit. Christians like Richt give money to others and becomes a natural thing to do.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Assistants are the most important.....period. Every great team i have seen, in hindsight, ended up having great assistants.

GOL on one staff had doug marrone. The fridge. Ted roof. Bill obrien. 5 nfl and ncaa big time head coaches.

Look at ross's 1990 staff.

There may be a chance in 15 years we look back at this staff and say similar.

In 2009. We had bohannan monken both hc now too. We felt their loss for a few years too.

Assistants are so important it's ridiculous. Its also why they r fired and turned over alot too.

And when Dodd was winning big he had Ray Graves (later at Florida H/C) and Frank Broyles (later at Arkansas H/C). And when Alexander was winning he had Dodd for an assistant coach.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
When it comes to recruiting and the day to day communication/supervision of the SAs, the assistant coaches are probably more important than the head coach. It's the assistant coaches that do all the ground work on the recruits and the daily maintenance with recruits.

Assistant coaches also spend the most time with each SA in team meetings and during practice.

If you wonder why the P5 conferences are paying six figure salaries for position coaches, see the above. If you can afford it, it's well worth it for a program.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
When it comes to recruiting and the day to day communication/supervision of the SAs, the assistant coaches are probably more important than the head coach. It's the assistant coaches that do all the ground work on the recruits and the daily maintenance with recruits.

Assistant coaches also spend the most time with each SA in team meetings and during practice.

If you wonder why the P5 conferences are paying six figure salaries for position coaches, see the above. If you can afford it, it's well worth it for a program.
yep, worth their weight in gold