Coach comparison rehash

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
For pete's sake. Back when Saturday Night Live was lights out funny, fall down laughing funny -- as Chevy Chase would do -- they had a news segment in which the weekly pronouncement was a takeoff on the breathless bulletins flooding us concerning Spain's dictator Franco's comatose state: "Franco is still dead!"

Johnson is still retired. Collins is still learning how to coach. Leave both be. Focus on Franco.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
When you have a coach who is fairly new to being a head coach you will have to deal with growing pains. There are things he is just going to have to learn on the job. There will be mistakes made but the question is so you learn from the mistakes and improve. I believe CGC has the makings of an excellent head coach. Time will tell.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
For the record I did not start this thread even though the OP is mine. I was happy to see the coaching clinics going on and casually mentioned CPJ, which sadly triggered the CPJ haters who can't stand the thought of ever seeing even one positive thing ever about CPJ. It is really sad honestly.

So they pulled any CPJ comments out to this thread.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Fact: Recruiting under Coach Collins has been better of that than anytime under Coach Johnson.

Fact: Coach Johnson took the Yellow Jackets to 2 Orange Bowls and 3 ACC Title games.

Fact: Coach Collins has only won 3 games at Tech and lost to the Citadel.

Let's hope Coach Collins and staff can improve or grow into P5 coaching like they have improved recruiting! #coachemup!!!

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
You are right, it is sad. However, you have the wrong group. CPJ is gone, get over it.
I assume you were going to quote me? People are always going to talk about previous coaches. People should get over seeing other coaches being discussed.

Sadly I have gotten over it (GT football tickets and any further financial support). I am hoping to get back into it though, just waiting to see if the coaches are capable of using the much better talent. I am going to be a bandwagon fan. Just hoping the bandwagon comes back by.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
For the record I did not start this thread even though the OP is mine. I was happy to see the coaching clinics going on and casually mentioned CPJ, which sadly triggered the CPJ haters who can't stand the thought of ever seeing even one positive thing ever about CPJ. It is really sad honestly.

So they pulled any CPJ comments out to this thread.

Either way, the post sucked. You call CGC a clown no matter what happens. I remember when you used to make quality posts on the Hive. What happened? For some reason you became bitter and all your posts are so negative now.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
It’s weird to me that People are blind to the fact that Paul had four seasons without a winning record. 2009, and 2014 was awesome buts it’s not fair to pretend that was the bar set by Paul that was 2 seasons out of 11. 2010-2013 was full of disappointment and a long period of being owned by VT and Miami, and 2015-2018 were some of the wildest seasons ever where we could beat Miami and VT but lost to Duke and Pitt. There was a lot of ups and downs with Paul a lot of seasons where he got a pass or excuses but some fans on here can’t even give Collins 1 season with a pass or excuses.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It’s weird to me that People are blind to the fact that Paul had four seasons without a winning record. 2009, and 2014 was awesome buts it’s not fair to pretend that was the bar set by Paul that was 2 seasons out of 11. 2010-2013 was full of disappointment and a long period of being owned by VT and Miami, and 2015-2018 were some of the wildest seasons ever where we could beat Miami and VT but lost to Duke and Pitt. There was a lot of ups and downs with Paul a lot of seasons where he got a pass or excuses but some fans on here can’t even give Collins 1 season with a pass or excuses.

It’s hard as fans to know what’s really going on.

For the record, GTAA wanted to terminate CPJ after ‘13 but ‘14 happened and they were boxed in. Unhappy, but boxed in. The general view was the experiment didn’t work.

(Note: I personally supported CPJ.)

I also understand he was not well-liked within the AA because he spoke his mind, regardless. I sympathize with this, but he didn’t win many friends internally. A friend at the AA told me no one was sorry to see him go.

Kinda interesting to see how different camps view things.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
It’s hard as fans to know what’s really going on.

For the record, GTAA wanted to terminate CPJ after ‘13 but ‘14 happened and they were boxed in. Unhappy, but boxed in. The general view was the experiment didn’t work.

(Note: I personally supported CPJ.)

I also understand he was not well-liked within the AA because he spoke his mind, regardless. I sympathize with this, but he didn’t win many friends internally. A friend at the AA told me no one was sorry to see him go.

Kinda interesting to see how different camps view things.

Doesn't surprise me. Most people can't handle being told how it is when they think they themselves are important.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Either way, the post sucked. You call CGC a clown no matter what happens. I remember when you used to make quality posts on the Hive. What happened? For some reason you became bitter and all your posts are so negative now.

The Hive became nothing more than a PJ Echo Chamber, where anything that reflected any shade on ol' PJ got you banned. Good riddance to that place.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Why did whoever changed the title of the thread wait so long? I read the thread Sunday and would not have wasted my time plowing thru the usual bickering with the more descriptive title.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
The Hive became nothing more than a PJ Echo Chamber, where anything that reflected any shade on ol' PJ got you banned. Good riddance to that place.

I think what happens is there are a handful of uber negative fans who are always calling for a coach to be fired. They post often and hijack many threads.

It's easy for boards to get reactive to that. Though I supported Johnson I would sometimes offer criticisms of him on here I felt were fair. I'd immediately get attacked by folks who were tired of all the negativity. So the board gets super polarized and you cant discuss football anymore.

Even after a coach is gone--by his own decision no less--the animas remains to continue the argument remains because of resentments and vendettas from when it got personal.

Why is it so critical to be right about something that can never be proven?Especially when the guy is retired? The history of the interactions makes it hard for some to let go.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Why did whoever changed the title of the thread wait so long? I read the thread Sunday and would not have wasted my time plowing thru the usual bickering with the more descriptive title.
I "waited so long" because I didn't have time to look at the Defensive Summit thread until I did. I "wasted my time" because I wanted to give that other thread a chance at viability. There is good stuff in there that was likely going to get lost due to others going down the same rabbit hole that is now this thread.

Highly recommend the other thread for those who are interested in informative insights from ibeeballin: https://gtswarm.com/threads/coach-c...rom-falcons-navy-texas-ga-southern-etc.21160/

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
There was a lot of ups and downs with Paul a lot of seasons where he got a pass or excuses but some fans on here can’t even give Collins 1 season with a pass or excuses.
That's because he lost 9 games his first season. If he had won 9 - like some coaches we know - nobody here would be complaining.

But he has done a good job recruiting. Let's hope he can coach them up. Doing well on the recruiting trail is absolutely no guarantee of success: ask Tennessee or FSZoo. He gets a free shot next year because of the Season of Doom, but we need to improve after that. Personally, I don't doubt we will, but, again, there isn't much certainty in this line of country.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I’m trying to imagine if CPJ would have gone 3-9 his first season, lost 45-0 to VT at home, got blown out by Temple without scoring on offense, lost to an FCS team and then set the record for punts in a game against UGA while getting slaughtered. I’m sure no one would have criticized him.

Jmonty71

Banned
Too soon to compare much. Collins wins at being a better recruiter. Johnson wins at in game coaching. That is all I can say, at this point. Collins has a lot to prove with game managements and using what the other team is doing against them.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m trying to imagine if CPJ would have gone 3-9 his first season, lost 45-0 to VT at home, got blown out by Temple without scoring on offense, lost to an FCS team and then set the record for punts in a game against UGA while getting slaughtered. I’m sure no one would have criticized him.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with questioning or criticizing CGC after a 3 win season and I’m sure CPJ would have received the same if he went 3-9. Personally I don’t have any problems with CGC after a 3-9 season although we had some disappointing moments. Tech for the last 4 years prior to CGC had a losing record and I expected a regression of the offense during the first year of the transition. Add in the offensive line injuries and I also would have expected CPJ to have a losing season if he was still coach. I am willing to give CGC at least 3 years to see how we look as a team. In my opinion he needs to be given time to develop a QB since we really didn’t have one ready for a passing system when he took over. Hopefully CPJ is enjoying retirement and we can always enjoy the 2009 and 2014 teams.