Coach Collins hosts defensive summit including coaches from Falcons, Navy, Texas, GA Southern, etc

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 7812
A bit of exaggeration calling it a problem and not sure I agree with the article. As a WLB, i loved this bc I’m the uncovered/ free player on runs to if my DT is doing his job getting that double teams. Runs away, i get to roam make plays . Ima give some do’s and don’t

On runs to the “bubble of the defense” this is what the offense wants to doView attachment 7813

A decent DT and ok LB can mitigate this

Run to the bubble:

giphy.gif

The DT took on the double team and the Guard couldn’t climb to the 2nd level. At that point, it’s 1 on 1 with the RB and the poor little LB made the play

Run away:

Again, it’s starts up front, being disciplined playing your assignment in the 2nd level. DRich destroys the guard a forces the RB track to change.
The free LB shuffles over and makes the play for a TFL

BAD:

Ohio St was one of the best zone running teams but the defense made it easy for them. The DT doesn’t get a double team, gets sealed and the MLB does not get over the top. Instead, he plays the cut back which is the Safety responsibility

giphy.gif

Run away don’t:

This sad to watch 4 guys blocking 2 and i have no idea what our LB is doing. Not sure why BJS is stepping left or into the LOS when the RB is going to his right
giphy.gif

Oh look, our incompetent OC was threatening the defense “bubble” as the article discussed. I guess he knows a little bit about attacking a defense

giphy.gif

Thanks for all this!

Sounds like you're making a Jimmie's and Joe's argument. I'm not sure whether that involves winning a matchup or staying disciplined or some combination thereof. I do want to try and get schematic advantages when we are facing many teams who are simply going to throw out a better athlete to avoid needing to double team or aren't going to be pushed back requiring the RB to alter his line. Personally I think creating some confusion for the offense is essential to success, especially for keeping a QB off rhythm. Obviously we can't make it too confusing for us to execute or to end up sacrificing fundamentals where the DL does their job for instance but the LB isn't playing his assignment. Maybe I'm going into the weeds here. I'm only an observer of the game.