Coach Brent Key Scenario

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Here’s a question I don’t think I’ve seen anyone ask on this thread yet. And after everyone seems pleased with CBK’s press conference it’s worth a discussion.

What does CBK have to do the rest of the year to even get a second look at retaining the HC job on permanent status? Is there a certain number of wins, or boxes he can check for GT to let him keep the job? With 8 games left he has to go 5-3 (or 5-2 against everybody not named UGA) to make a bowl game. That would almost double CGCs career high for single season wins in only 3/4 of a season. Would CBK making a bowl game warrant a second look at keeping him as HC?

What if he goes 3-5? He would match CGCs standard is 3/4 of a season amid a ton of turmoil within the program. That would be a pretty admirable effort. Enough to keep him around? I don’t know.

I think everyone has been pretty disappointed with CBKs OL recruiting and on field play since he’s been here. But if the rumors about Collins over stepping his boundaries, and his practice style not being conducive to development, what if Key really isn’t the one the blame there? Not saying that’s the case, but just, what if?

I think it’s an interesting question that hasn’t really been discussed yet. To me it would be really hard to let a hometown boy go who just led you to a bowl game for the first time in 4 years, after replacing the worst coach in school history mid-season.

What do you guys think?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Here’s a question I don’t think I’ve seen anyone ask on this thread yet. And after everyone seems pleased with CBK’s press conference it’s worth a discussion.

What does CBK have to do the rest of the year to even get a second look at retaining the HC job on permanent status? Is there a certain number of wins, or boxes he can check for GT to let him keep the job? With 8 games left he has to go 5-3 (or 5-2 against everybody not named UGA) to make a bowl game. That would almost double CGCs career high for single season wins in only 3/4 of a season. Would CBK making a bowl game warrant a second look at keeping him as HC?

What if he goes 3-5? He would match CGCs standard is 3/4 of a season amid a ton of turmoil within the program. That would be a pretty admirable effort. Enough to keep him around? I don’t know.

I think everyone has been pretty disappointed with CBKs OL recruiting and on field play since he’s been here. But if the rumors about Collins over stepping his boundaries, and his practice style not being conducive to development, what if Key really isn’t the one the blame there? Not saying that’s the case, but just, what if?

I think it’s an interesting question that hasn’t really been discussed yet. To me it would be really hard to let a hometown boy go who just led you to a bowl game for the first time in 4 years, after replacing the worst coach in school history mid-season.

What do you guys think?
If he turns it around, he should get a look. His performance as an OL coach has been dismal, but HC is a different animal. I'm not holding my breath, but who knows? This is his shot.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
If he wins 3+ this year - he deserves to be one of the final candidates interviewed to pitch his vision.

And if he wins 3+ this year, and nails that interview? I’m all aboard him being the HC next year.

He has plenty of experience relative to the other names being tossed around. Sometimes more, sometimes less. But enough that he would deserve a fair shake if he makes lemonade out of this year.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer

What do you guys think?
I would think 5-3 or 6-2. Including showing progress in all 3 phases of in game play, development of players, solid in game decisions, the correct playing of players and playing the right guys, among other things. It’s a long shot for key but never say never.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

What do you guys think?
I don't think there is anything he can realistically do. You don't go scorched earth, fire the head coach early in the season and the AD, and then promote from within. He played a part in us being as bad as we have been. I don't think that is so easily forgotten.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

What do you guys think?
Sure. He gets invited to present.

Here is the deal.
Hiring guys and walking off will not work at gt.
Prez and ad need to be sure the hc has what he needs and are they aware of " his issues". They must find crestive sokutions.

Suggest they meet at Capitol grille and then families eat together
The ad and prez, help market team to students, profs, hill research, city , alumni.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Total hypothetical, but if this team responds well to the coaching change to CBK what are the chances of him having the interim term removed from his title? How many wins would he have to lead us to? And would anyone even want him as a candidate for our head football coaching position?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Total hypothetical, but if this team responds well to the coaching change to CBK what are the chances of him having the interim term removed from his title? How many wins would he have to lead us to? And would anyone even want him as a candidate for our head football coaching position?
I think he's been an awful OL coach but HC is a totally different job and if he can turn this ship around, then hell yes he should be given consideration.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I hope he does so well we have to keep him.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
He was hired on as assistant head coach, he's next up in line to be HC in these situations. He has an 8 week trial period, where he could work out (snitker or dabo situation) or just not.
Remember either way a new AD will still be searching for a HC, and Key has the opportunity to impress now.

If he turns it around., Sure go for it.

Not sure why everyone thinks the school should have had someone else come on as the interim or why Key shouldn't have a chance to prove he's worthy for the full time spot. Give him a chance
Part of the reason he may not have done well in his current position could be because of Collins

Last edited:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I would say 7 wins to be retained as head coach. If he can get us to play well and stay competitive in every game, I would say 5 wins keeps him on as the OL coach.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why everyone thinks the school should have had someone else come on as the interim or why Key shouldn't have a chance to prove he's worthy for the full time spot. Give him a chance
Part of the reason he may not have done well in his current position could be because of Collins
That’s a fair take. Honestly if he were to go win 5 more games and a bowl I think you’d have to give him a hard look. But I’m guessing we will be making offers long before he gets a chance to get that many wins

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Can’t imagine any reasonable scenario where we bring in a new AD, and a search committee and we eventually decide to go with a guy who was already here and played a big role in our struggles for the past 3+ years. Maybe if he runs the table and beats UGA convincingly.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Total hypothetical, but if this team responds well to the coaching change to CBK what are the chances of him having the interim term removed from his title? How many wins would he have to lead us to? And would anyone even want him as a candidate for our head football coaching position

NO WAY!

He can’t win without Collins’ guys!!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
FWIW, I don't know that I blame Key for the majority of the OL problems. IMO, Collins did Key no favors by constantly going to the Portal for new OL instead of getting a steady stream of HS talent to develop. That being said, I don't think we have much chance in any game where we face a strong DL. That puts Pitt and uga down as likely bad losses. Miami and FSU are also probably losses as well for the same reason. UVA, Dook, UNC, and VT are very winnable though, and if we can get OL chemistry going by late season, maybe we can poach a 6th win. Key could make this interesting.