Coach Andy McCollum to get interview for HC!

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
We've had him recruiting the past several years and the results speak for themselves. He isn't our Dabo, nor will he be.
Dabo was on Clemson's staff for four years prior to becoming HC. At the time of his hiring, a lot of Clemson fans said the same things about Dabo that you're saying about CAM. I qualified my original statement by denoting that I was thinking positively.

To be clear, CAM is not my first choice. Of the names being thrown around, I'd probably pick Monken, but he won't come to Tech.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
We've had him recruiting the past several years and the results speak for themselves. He isn't our Dabo, nor will he be.

Just for reference how old are you and are you a season ticket holder?

You are one among many is who is hot young coach bandwagon. It’s not bad or good, we all have our opinion.

I will buy my tickets and be at the game regardless of who Tstan chooses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Dabo was on Clemson's staff for four years prior to becoming HC. At the time of his hiring, a lot of Clemson fans said the same things about Dabo that you're saying about CAM. I qualified my original statement by denoting that I was thinking positively.

Except Clemson's recruiting was fine before and the plan of surrounding him with amazing coordinators made sense. That is very different than promoting from within based on our recent recruiting. Even more so since the post you quoted basically just said the entire process should be a promote from within keeping the same DC and using Cook as the OC.

AugJacket

Georgia Tech Fan

To be clear, CAM is not my first choice. Of the names being thrown around, I'd probably pick Monken, but he won't come to Tech.

What makes you want to stay with TO? Genuinely curious. Impossible to compete on field at high level or in recruiting if we continue the TO direction. That’s my opinion at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
What makes you want to stay with TO? Genuinely curious. Impossible to compete on field at high level or in recruiting if we continue the TO direction. That’s my opinion at least.

Monken has run more traditional TO this year because of his personnel, but he runs plays out of the shotgun consistently - even at Army. Here's an article where Monken talks about the importance of passing out of the shotgun and diversity in formations. Link Monken talks about how his team was in the shotgun formation for about 30% of the season.

Though, as I said, Monken won't come here. However, I would not be shocked to see him at another school in a year or two. He's a really good coach that has accomplished a lot in a short amount of time.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

It's odd when people say it's "impossible" to compete at a high level with the TO. Offense has rarely been the issue while CPJ has been here.

I think you're real question is, "Why can't we beat Clemson and Georgia?" Some think it's because of the offense, others think it's because of the large disparity in funding, admissions, etc. The hypothetical is whether a guy like Trevor Lawrence would come to GT over Clemson or Georgia if GT were running a passing offense. I don't think players like Lawrence would unless Tech makes some serious changes, but we'll get to see soon enough.

I would just ask that people remember that there are a lot of schools that run traditional offenses and don't adequately fund their programs. Those schools are not consistently winning, and many would trade their last ten years for Tech's last ten years.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member

This thread is, not surprisingly and inevitably, completely off topic. May I suggest you read this post (and the post he is quoting) by @Boomergump and follow up in this thread?
https://gtswarm.com/threads/paul-johnson-to-retire.16497/page-25#post-499858

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I need this coaching search to end. It gets more retarded the further this gets dragged out.

I wouldn’t call it “dragged out” after less than a week. I’d much rather our AD interview a number of candidates and come up with the best.

IMHO, Coach Mac or Whisenhunt would both be settling for expediency over quality. We need a game-changer who can get the donors on his side and get the high school kids to want to be part of what he’s doing here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk