Clemson kickoff

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm seeking input on a purely speculative idea. The Tech-Clemson series is a fairly solid one. The schools, while not in the same conference division, are destined to continue the annual meeting for a long time.
Two changes to football schedules in the recent past make the idea more attractive, those being that most all schools have added a twelfth game, which for the larger schools has meant an added home game, and the Tech-Clemson game has been moved from early in the season to mid-November.
This comes up as I'm scoping out the viability of having constructed a stadium in Savannah, which of course lies just across the river from South Carolina. Shifting their annual rivalry game to Savannah put its on a similar footing, in many respects, as the highly popular UGA-Florida game in Jacksonville. Savannah, however is a better city for hosting such an event than Jax, in terms of having appeal beyond the game itself.
Like the Georgia rationale which gives their South Georgia fans a convenient game to attend each year, Tech could greatly up its exposure in that part of the state with an annual appearance in Savannah. That goes a long way toward creating life long followers among youth, and more interest among the area's top athletes.
Clemson, likewise, would have reason for more exposure in downstate South Carolina.
Like in Jacksonville, the Tech-Clemson game in Savannah would have an even split in tickets to both schools, with the stadium split right down the center. The border rivalry and equal number of fans from both schools would add more appeal for television coverage each year, even in down years record wise.
My chief concern has to do with the size of the pool of Tech fans who would travel to Savannah for the weekend to attend the game.
I think it would be a super high spot on the Tech schedule each year, and in those years when Tech sees no good bowl prospects, this game will serve like a bowl game for its biggest fans.
I like your idea. Savannah is a very desirable road trip destination and has a solid base of Tech fans. You are also correct that South Georgia feels connected to uga because of the proximity of the Jacksonville game. I lived for a brief period in Waycross in my youth and you pretty much had to attend the Georgia / Florida game at least once in your life time or you were not considered cool. Clemson and Tech both would have a lot to gain with such a game.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Any of you with "inside info" know what day or what time kick off will be?!? Traveling down for the Basketball game Friday and need to fly out late Saturday after the Football game. Thanks
I always thought that the TV times were announced on the Monday before the game but it seems that this year (and maybe this is the way it's always been) they've been announcing TV times two Mondays prior so perhaps game time will be announced on Monday the 3rd.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I'm seeking input on a purely speculative idea. The Tech-Clemson series is a fairly solid one. The schools, while not in the same conference division, are destined to continue the annual meeting for a long time.
Two changes to football schedules in the recent past make the idea more attractive, those being that most all schools have added a twelfth game, which for the larger schools has meant an added home game, and the Tech-Clemson game has been moved from early in the season to mid-November.
This comes up as I'm scoping out the viability of having constructed a stadium in Savannah, which of course lies just across the river from South Carolina. Shifting their annual rivalry game to Savannah put its on a similar footing, in many respects, as the highly popular UGA-Florida game in Jacksonville. Savannah, however is a better city for hosting such an event than Jax, in terms of having appeal beyond the game itself.
Like the Georgia rationale which gives their South Georgia fans a convenient game to attend each year, Tech could greatly up its exposure in that part of the state with an annual appearance in Savannah. That goes a long way toward creating life long followers among youth, and more interest among the area's top athletes.
Clemson, likewise, would have reason for more exposure in downstate South Carolina.
Like in Jacksonville, the Tech-Clemson game in Savannah would have an even split in tickets to both schools, with the stadium split right down the center. The border rivalry and equal number of fans from both schools would add more appeal for television coverage each year, even in down years record wise.
My chief concern has to do with the size of the pool of Tech fans who would travel to Savannah for the weekend to attend the game.
I think it would be a super high spot on the Tech schedule each year, and in those years when Tech sees no good bowl prospects, this game will serve like a bowl game for its biggest fans.
Are you saying that you, personally, are considering constructing a stadium in Savannah, and that this game would be one of the incentives for doing that?

I actually think that could be a winning idea. Not totally convinced about it as there are downsides, but there is definitely a lot to like about it. I'd be for maybe scheduling it there for 4 years and seeing how it goes with the option to continue or discontinue that schedule.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
^ Agree. But I'd rather err on the side of caution if coming from out of town and avoid missing kickoff.
That or having to leave the game before the end to catch a flight.

Couple of weeks back there were a lot of Chicago Bears fans that missed the second half of the game because they'd scheduled flights before the NFL changed the start time from 1:00 hour to after 4:00. That had to suck.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I would love it, but I'm biased because I live in the Savannah area! :)

That being said, trying to get the city council of Savannah to do ANYTHING progressive whatsoever is a challenge in itself. City politics are a huge mess here. Savannah is probably going to lose its minor league baseball team in the next few years if they don't build a new stadium, and I can't imagine what they would do with a football stadium the other 364 days a year.....
Savannah St. could use it. Is Steve Davenport still coaching there?

SCAD, possibly. Benedictine?

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
My cousin's son goes to Benedictine and it is AA. Local HS (Lamar, where the Austins and Searcy are from) played them last 2 years in play-offs. They currently play at Savannah State's stadium.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
6-day option. BOOOOOOO!!!!

Really screwing with my visits to the Spring Street Ballet.