Clem's Son's DC ... GT biggest challenge "and it's not even close"

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Venables is a very good coordinator, and yes, that presser indicated (unfortunately) that Venables takes the Tech offense much more seriously than do most Tiger fans -- many of whom continue to adopt the "knock the QB down every play"/"if the option offense is so good, why do so few teams run it?" mentality.

In event you didn't know, BTW, Tech's offense has been solved -- just check video of the Duke game, or past games with Georgia; kinda makes one wonder why that notion never occurred to every defensive coordinator of every Tech opponent. ;)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yesssss. I'm pretty sure Venables isn't pushing putting JT out of the game, but I'm also pretty sure he isn't discouraging it as long as "… it's a clean (uh-huh) hit." I worry about that a little.

Then I remember that a) JT is a lot more elusive and careful about taking hits now then he was then and b) subbing Tim Byerley doesn't decrease our O efficiency one whit. It does change the O's emphasis, but that's about it.

Animal02

Banned
Yesssss. I'm pretty sure Venables isn't pushing putting JT out of the game, but I'm also pretty sure he isn't discouraging it as long as "… it's a clean (uh-huh) hit." I worry about that a little.

Then I remember that a) JT is a lot more elusive and careful about taking hits now then he was then and b) subbing Tim Byerley doesn't decrease our O efficiency one whit. It does change the O's emphasis, but that's about it.

They have their own fragile QB to worry about :whistle:

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am on pins and needles for Saturday to get here. I have been thinking for the last few games that our offense has reached a level of diversity and execution which even a great defense can't stop. Paul now has to draw from a TO run quickly, a b back who is enough of a threat to respect, dangerous runners at quarterback and A back, a good passing game with some ability to block for it, counter plays and reverses. With all that to draw from and PJs master reading of a defense, I have been confident that we could put up points on even the best defenses. I'll get to see in a few days whether I'm right about this...I think Coach is excited about this matchup too from something he said Monday night. I think he is excited about seeing how his players fare and excited about his upcoming chess match with the Clemson DC.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
In event you didn't know, BTW, Tech's offense has been solved -- just check video of the Duke game, or past games with Georgia; kinda makes one wonder why that notion never occurred to every defensive coordinator of every Tech opponent. ;)
The solution to the option is to intentionally injure the QB by twisting his ankle?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
This is actually valuable information for Venables to be putting out there. He's giving some things away as to how they're going to play us. According to this interview, the MLB's key is the angle of the path of the BBack... ie if the fullback goes flatter the MLB is reading one play, and if he goes more straight into the line, he's reading another. I actually think that's a good thing to key on that I've never thought about before. The thing is, if I'm CPJ, now I know how to mess up the defense's read: have the BBack take a different angle for the same play.
And, he mentions some other things in this regard as well - how the safety is supposed to play the AB, reading run vs pass.

It's likely CPJ already knows how teams may be teaching their read keys and how to attack that, but you never know when somebody might come up with something different than we've seen so far this year, and it's about getting the players ready to attack that particular D more than about how CPJ knows how to attack it.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
I like what CPJ said about a month ago about setting up tendencies and waiting for just the right moment to break the tendency. I hope he has a few of those in his back pocket for our last two games.