Clayton had 2 sacks ?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Part of the reason we were disruptive in the 4th quarter is because we rotate a lot of guys throughout the game. In the 4th our pass rush guys still have fresh legs because they get a chance to rest. I really like our DE's. Clayton, Domenick, Ryan's, Dingle, etc. gives us a good rotation without a ton of drop off. We need a few stud DTs and more athletic LBs in the front 7. I believe we have addressed the latter but they a re e still very young.
Boy I sure hope some new LB's show up to play soon. We seem to have a soft edge containment and weak outside blitzing capability.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Boy I sure hope some new LB's show up to play soon. We seem to have a soft edge containment and weak outside blitzing capability.
They are redshirting our Freshamn LB... Basically they are asking Curry to play North south... Plug gaps and such and allow Quez or Knight to play sideline to sideline...works decent when Charlie Thomas is in ... More concerning is our DB play... Sims/Walton/Johnson are getting Burned really bad... I wonder why Tobias Oliver is not playing more... It seems that he and Tre Swilling might make a good pair....

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
They are redshirting our Freshamn LB... Basically they are asking Curry to play North south... Plug gaps and such and allow Quez or Knight to play sideline to sideline...works decent when Charlie Thomas is in ... More concerning is our DB play... Sims/Walton/Johnson are getting Burned really bad... I wonder why Tobias Oliver is not playing more... It seems that he and Tre Swilling might make a good pair....
I agree. I thought TO would be getting more time at DB. Problem seems to be a combination of indecision between coverage and run support at times, and inconsistent pass rush. Maybe Clayton's pressure can help with that.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
it is my understanding this year would not count for anyone

slugboy

Staff member
If you’re playing well enough to get in, you’ll usually get in. We’re playing a freshman on the OL and mostly underclass men on the DL.
I’m sure we’d like three years of strength and conditioning and coaching before we roll someone out on the field, but we don’t have that kind of luxury right now.
Plus, if you’re ready to see game action, the coaches will want to get you game reps.

GTFLETCH

Banned
If you’re playing well enough to get in, you’ll usually get in. We’re playing a freshman on the OL and mostly underclass men on the DL.
I’m sure we’d like three years of strength and conditioning and coaching before we roll someone out on the field, but we don’t have that kind of luxury right now.
Plus, if you’re ready to see game action, the coaches will want to get you game reps.
The only freshman OL playing would be starting any most teams in the nation....the DL had Jared Ivey on the ATL, everyone else played last year...doesn't really matter if they are underclassmen or not...

I do understand it is a process... but the defense is getting close to being as good as the 2014 season, we just have a few holes....maybe next year....

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought this was another bad call. Maybe I’m off, but it looked like he had the top of the guys shoulder pad near the collar bone instead of his face mask. Anybody else think the same or am I crazy?
Ryans had the collar, not facemask, unless the refs see that as similar? In the past a "horse collar" was called.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
He was credited with 2.5 sacks and 2 TFLs. Not too shabby. Oth, he normally only had to face one blocker and, for some reason, it was often their TE. No more of that, I think. It's double teams for him from now on. We'll see how he copes with that. Well, I hope; we need somebody who will take up OL attention from our opponents. That hasn't happened since Gotsis was at Tech.

I've discounted him before last night and on good evidence. Looks like I was wrong; he may have needed time to work into shape.
On Clayton's second sack he actually was double teamed by the left guard and left tackle. He bull rushed them then spun to the inside to tackle Cunningham. At least I think that was the second sack. Maybe they credited that as a TFL?

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
The freshman LBs probably need more time to learn the defense and be able to recognize what the offense is doing. The coaches need to be able to trust them on the field. I would bet they get some snaps later in the season. Same with Tobias at CB. Probably not as easy of a transition as some may think. I think Swilling rounding into form will help. You may also see more of Allen at safety. Just my opinion.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
2 sacks, forced 1 holding and an intentional grounding. Great game, although I think we really exposed their ****ty RT as much as anything.

Hes a good player though, really has more of the power aspect in that he can bull rush instead of needing to get around the edge with speed