Class of 2023

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
He’s going to be a hard one to get to campus I think….https://twitter.com/5starnational/status/1581707420211900416?s=46&t=8I77RIUmGaFA9-Uks2zuSA

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Early Signing Day, GT-
NamePos.Ht.Wt.B/THometownHigh School
Ryan JarosINF6-4220R/RCranford, N.J.Cranford
Pete CraskaINF6-1240L/RKennesaw, Ga.Mount Paran Christian
Kyle HenleyOF6-3175R/RCumming, Ga.Denmark
Carson KerceINF6-1195R/RMarietta, Ga.Pope
Tate McKeeUTL/RHP6-2180R/RKennesaw, Ga.Mount Paran Christian
Tyler MinnickC6-4195R/RMarietta, Ga.Mount Paran Christian
Jackson SobelLHP6-2185L/LMount Pleasant, S.C.Oceanside Collegiate
Michal KovalaRHP6-0175L/ROstrava, Mo.P27 Academy

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Early Signing Day, GT-
NamePos.Ht.Wt.B/THometownHigh School
Ryan JarosINF6-4220R/RCranford, N.J.Cranford
Pete CraskaINF6-1240L/RKennesaw, Ga.Mount Paran Christian
Kyle HenleyOF6-3175R/RCumming, Ga.Denmark
Carson KerceINF6-1195R/RMarietta, Ga.Pope
Tate McKeeUTL/RHP6-2180R/RKennesaw, Ga.Mount Paran Christian
Tyler MinnickC6-4195R/RMarietta, Ga.Mount Paran Christian
Jackson SobelLHP6-2185L/LMount Pleasant, S.C.Oceanside Collegiate
Michal KovalaRHP6-0175L/ROstrava, Mo.P27 Academy
Class is loaded lots of draft risk. Hats off to our coaches!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

At 19 players, we are way at the upper end of commits. Max is 21.

But we have 4 in the top 100, so we'll most likely lose some of them to the draft. But when looking at average stars, we have the 7th best class which is really solid for such a large class.

The portal is the way other teams are going more. Was reading the D1 Baseball review of VT and Clemson last night. They are getting lots of 5 year transfers coming in and projected to start this year.

I don't think one way or the other (develop versus transfer) is the best, but we need transfers to fill in holes and improve positions; our ones (Chandler and others) have really helped.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
At 19 players, we are way at the upper end of commits. Max is 21.

But we have 4 in the top 100, so we'll most likely lose some of them to the draft. But when looking at average stars, we have the 7th best class which is really solid for such a large class.

The portal is the way other teams are going more. Was reading the D1 Baseball review of VT and Clemson last night. They are getting lots of 5 year transfers coming in and projected to start this year.

I don't think one way or the other (develop versus transfer) is the best, but we need transfers to fill in holes and improve positions; our ones (Chandler and others) have really helped.
I agree. My view is that they both need to be used in today's day and age, but developing is #1 and transfers is #2. #1 recruit well and develop talent for your core. #2 fill holes with transfers. Much like the pattern that has become prevalent for the most successful teams in MLB since free agency.

Look at the Yankees, Dodgers, Astros, Braves, Cardinals, the Mets of the mid to late 1980's (yes, I had to throw the Mets in there, even though they've been a dysfunctional organization for most of the last 60 years...). If you look at their most successful teams, I suspect you'll find that they developed most of their talent, some via minor league trades, but not through free agency or trades for established major league players. They then filled holes with free agency and/or trades to compete for and/or win titles.

With the current transfer portal, I think that's the approach that successful college baseball teams will need to employ. You're not likely to import an entire team via the transfer portal to compete for a championship, but if you have a solid core of players and bring in a sparkplug like Chandler Simpson to fill a position of need and a couple of arms to successfully eat innings. Then you've got a team that can make some noise.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I always find the whole concept of baseball commits interesting especially since we've seen our fair share not go to college since they were drafted.

Maybe as someone who never made the cut for hs sports, I may have a different perspective. But it seems that going in the draft out of HS seems like a risky proposition. The last high school draft pick to be an all-star was Machado drafted in 2010. In the 12 years since, no younger hs players have made the all-star teams. Interesting.

It seems to me that college developmental programs are improving at significant rates. Enough so that going to college for 3 years and then going to the draft seems to have been more successful for athletes in baseball in the last decade.

Plus, with how much we try to push the limit of our bodies, I'd rather have an injury in college where i can still get a degree rather than in the minor leagues and potentially lose everything.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wonder how long it's going to take to get our 2023 Class all signed. Only 8 of our 2023 Class have signed so far according to RamblinWreck: https://ramblinwreck.com/signing-day-central-2022/
1668349089733.png

There are 15 2023 commits per Beesball: https://beesball.com/recruiting.html
1668349066935.png

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Some schools have different signing day celebrations and if any of these are multi-sport, might be waiting on another.
I'm for signing on your signing day and you're allowed to celebrate the hard work to be recruited. Sign in front of your school when you need to, but huge exhale of relief when pen hits the paper and it becomes official..... Unless you're going to Texas Tech (too soon?)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Some schools have different signing day celebrations and if any of these are multi-sport, might be waiting on another.
I'm for signing on your signing day and you're allowed to celebrate the hard work to be recruited. Sign in front of your school when you need to, but huge exhale of relief when pen hits the paper and it becomes official..... Unless you're going to Texas Tech (too soon?)

LOL @ Texas Tech, the Oversigning Tech.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
National Signing Day is November 9, 2022 for all D1 and D2 sports outside of football or basketball, and the signing period continues through August 1, 2023.