CJP suing Ron Bell

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
actually a cease and desist order and a permanent restraining order need to happen and the law suit is one way for this to happen. if the rb guy is threatening people he needs to be kept at bay.

I think a court order to stop certain contacts and behaviors may be a desirable outcome. We've set off down a path, so we'll just have to see what happens at this point. Even if I believe the fight should not be had, I'm still rooting for Josh to win it.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think a court order to stop certain contacts and behaviors may be a desirable outcome. We've set off down a path, so we'll just have to see what happens at this point. Even if I believe the fight should not be had, I'm still rooting for Josh to win it.

The Schlabach article has some interesting detail on that front. The way Ron is described as continuing to act, further action was clearly warranted.

Additionally, if the suit is filed now, it probably doesn't reach court for a few months. This actually lets CJP focus on finishing out the season now and probably getting through the 1st recruiting live period before he has to hit a court room.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't have any issues with Josh filing this lawsuit. Remember, this lawsuit has nothing to do with GT, it is a civil suit between Pastner and Bell.
Given the details coming out in the various stories i'm not sure Josh had any choice.

Based on the lawsuit it appears Ron may have been planning to sting Pastner for awhile. One article mentions their relationship started to cool after the TN game in Dec 2016. The AZ trip was in Spring 2017 and then the info to the NCAA was in Fall 2017. The lawsuit states that Tad and Josh told Pastner that Bell had told them not to tell Pastner about the trip.
The email from Pastner to Bell back when he was at Memphis also paints the picture of Pastner as a by the book guy. Telling Bell not to buy his players as much as a cookie without checking with Pastner first.

Based on what looks like continued attempts to harass Pastner, and possibly his wife, by Bell and his gf, i'm not sure Pastner had any choice but to file a lawsuit. He obviously felt that his family was being threatened. At that point you have to do what you have to do to protect your family.

The El Chapo stuff is just funny and shows how sad and desperate Ron is.
The fact that GT felt a need to file a restraining order against Bell shows how concerned GT was.

I'm also going to guess Schwarz is the GT guy mentioned in the El Chapo bit.

From reading the stories it feels like Bell was pissed that Pastner had asked him to step back from the GT program and may have been having potential money issues and felt he could extort his way to income.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I don't have any issues with Josh filing this lawsuit. Remember, this lawsuit has nothing to do with GT, it is a civil suit between Pastner and Bell.
Given the details coming out in the various stories i'm not sure Josh had any choice.

Based on the lawsuit it appears Ron may have been planning to sting Pastner for awhile. One article mentions their relationship started to cool after the TN game in Dec 2016. The AZ trip was in Spring 2017 and then the info to the NCAA was in Fall 2017. The lawsuit states that Tad and Josh told Pastner that Bell had told them not to tell Pastner about the trip.
The email from Pastner to Bell back when he was at Memphis also paints the picture of Pastner as a by the book guy. Telling Bell not to buy his players as much as a cookie without checking with Pastner first.

Based on what looks like continued attempts to harass Pastner, and possibly his wife, by Bell and his gf, i'm not sure Pastner had any choice but to file a lawsuit. He obviously felt that his family was being threatened. At that point you have to do what you have to do to protect your family.

The El Chapo stuff is just funny and shows how sad and desperate Ron is.
The fact that GT felt a need to file a restraining order against Bell shows how concerned GT was.

I'm also going to guess Schwarz is the GT guy mentioned in the El Chapo bit.

From reading the stories it feels like Bell was pissed that Pastner had asked him to step back from the GT program and may have been having potential money issues and felt he could extort his way to income.
So the man who has money and a girlfriend, has no money and is about to have no girlfriend? Interesting turn of events :LOL::rolleyes:.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
We are looking at it from a mostly “how does this impact GT” POV. That is understandable.

But if I understand everything that has been put out there correctly, this is also an assault (if you will) on CJPs family.

You don’t stand by, regardless of timing, and let some P.O.S. do things like this that hurt your family.

Nail this scumbags azz now and often.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We are looking at it from a mostly “how does this impact GT” POV. That is understandable.

But if I understand everything that has been put out there correctly, this is also an assault (if you will) on CJPs family.

You don’t stand by, regardless of timing, and let some P.O.S. do things like this that hurt your family.

Nail this scumbags azz now and often.

8E4710AE-7D1B-4093-B8EE-36A86DAE4343.jpeg

msargent1

Jolly Good Fellow
Ron is "scum" and a "wacko"...

"The mountain of exhibits submitted in the civil suit exposes multiple charges in three states that Bell has faced, including fraud, terroristic threats, domestic violence, drugs, burglary, larceny and forgery. Pastner filed the suit because Bell continued to threaten and blackmail him, even after the NCAA finished its investigation."

http://www.myajc.com/blog/jeff-schu...er-other-side-scandal/tAdbUbhhV04aOFCqvmNWqJ/

Last edited:

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I mean I think this timing provides the groundwork for a pretty good entrapment case for TJ and Okogie. If TJ doesn't make the NBA, he could argue (and probably not win) his draft status was impacted by missing 3 games of the season because of this guy using him to entrap Pastner. He won't even have to prove the case of Entrapment if CJP wins his case.

My opinion on the lawsuit is it will help recruiting. If a parent asks what was going on with this case the answer can be stte Allegations were totally false. I can't talk about details because I'm suing the guy for defamation of character, but the real story is out there

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think these comments by Jeff Schultz sum this up about as well as you can

" Tech attorneys and the NCAA got involved. When it was over, neither party found any reason to hold Pastner culpable. The players received short suspensions, but there were no sanctions against the program or its coach."

"In fact, Tech officials and the NCAA entities came to the conclusion Bell was pretty much a wacko."

"In all my years of looking at PDFs referencing potential major NCAA investigations, never once have I come across investigators canceling an interview because they feared it would be “unsafe.” And likely a waste of time."

On some level, this whole experience might have actually toughened his team.

“It’s been a real rallying point to some degree,” Pastner said. “There are a lot of great lessons.