Chris Martin has left the team

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This is another example of how players can be left behind when coaching changes. If Woody were still our DC, Martin would be a solid starter; he suited that D exactly. But not now; despite his best efforts, he couldn't grow enough to suit the present scheme.

I think he made the right decision. If he has opportunities waiting, he'd be a fool to stick around so he could play 5 - 6 plays a game. It's like Bwelbo says above, in this job environment - and I'm using the term loosely - you need to move when things look up. Soooooooo …

Good luck, Chris! We'll all remember you and your contributions to Tech football. You were always one of my favorite players. Go out there and make a great success of your life!

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Good article from AJC on why he called it quits. The young man has his priorities right - wish him the very best in life and thanks for being a great representative for GT football.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Good article from AJC on why he called it quits. The young man has his priorities right - wish him the very best in life and thanks for being a great representative for GT football.

Chris didn’t have to say what he said about Coach Collins caring about him as a person first and 100% supporting him. The fact that he said it, IMO, means Collins’ reaction to the news and support really left a positive impact on Chris. Coach’s cheerleading positivity annoys me a bit, but I really think it’s genuine and he genuinely loves his guys. Good to know.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The part about the coaches' reaction is really great to hear. When I stopped playing football my senior year of high school to pursue other interests, the head coach came into my weight training class and grabbed me by both arms so I couldn't move and grilled me about it and told me I would always regret that decision (Update: I don't). And every other coach I talked to was similarly upset and tried to make me feel bad about my decision, except one - our O line coach also handled the uniforms and equipment, and when I turned my gear in and told him, he said " That sounds like fun, I'm really happy for you" and that has always stuck with me.

The way you treat people when they make a decision to better themselves, even when it might negatively impact your plans, speaks volumes about someone, and I'm glad to see our coaches handled that in the best way possible.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The part about the coaches' reaction is really great to hear. When I stopped playing football my senior year of high school to pursue other interests, the head coach came into my weight training class and grabbed me by both arms so I couldn't move and grilled me about it and told me I would always regret that decision (Update: I don't).

I must have been really luck in my youth looking back. All of my various coaches always supported me and were very happy when I decided to move on. Oftentimes, they were the ones who decided that I would move on, even when I wasn't sure if that is what I wanted to do or not! ;)