OG Jackson and Mason
C Jay Finch

DE Dieke and Williams
DT Gotsis and Green/Cummings
LB Nealy, Hunt-Days, and Attaochu
CB DJ White and Lou Young
FS Thomas
SS Brandon Watts

Most of this is pretty straight forward. On the positions where there are two people listed in one spot, they're simply too close for it to make very much of a difference either way. Biggest change on D, Sneezy to LB and Watts to SS. Would absolutely love to see CTR try this.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
Bat

I see we agree on several of the spots. I know I keeping yelling Griffin at safety and there is reason behind this. I have followed this kid in high school. When he was recruited, many stated that he was from a 2a school that did not play a lot of talent but that is not true. I first me this kid when Lonnie Marts (former 11 year NFL Veteran Linebacker -I only shared this info to provide a little insight on the person evaluating the talent) Rod Harris former NFL receiver and myself were watching a game with Griffin's team Trinity Christian vs Yulee that featured Alabama commit Derick Henry RB and South Carolina WR now linebacker Kelvin Rainey. Griffin started out covering Kelvin Rainey 6'233. Rainey averaged well over 100 yards a game but in the first half he had 0 catches. Griffin jammed him and even got a pick that was called back because of a penalty. Derrick Henry was destroying Trinity on the ground so Trinity switched Griffin to Middle Linebacker. On the first play Griffin blitzed and dropped Henry. Henry stood up and fell to the ground. he was hurt He went out for a series and returned. Yulee put Henry in the wildcat and he ran a sweep. Griffin makes breaks through a block and literally picks Henry up in the air and slams him to the ground. The crowd went crazy!!! Lonnie and I were like who in the Hell is this kid. I ended up going to the school because I wanted to talk to my boy coach Gus who is a coach at Trinity and former DB for the NE Patriots. His exact words was this. "Lynn is a beast!" he will hit anyone. We refuse to back down from anyone. The one thing that will hurt him with recruiting is he plays to many positions. LB, DE, S, Corner, RB, QB in Wildcat, 2nd string kicker. He continued by stating that the kid would end up a college safety but will have not exposure at the position. I started following Griffin and Nick Washington who is a Gator (poor guy needed to join the ACC better yet he need to be a Yellow Jacket).

Griffin has defended some great competition. He has a reputation in Jacksonville as a hard hitting, hard nosed DB.

Here is what is happening to Griffin at GT. I watched this happen to several guys who ended up being a monster in the league. Griffin was bringing it his first year. Several post where made about how he was able to cover and how he never shied away from contact. Griffin got injured (torn quad) and rushed to return. He was practicing and tore his quad again. Anyone who had that injury knows it is really painful. Well Coach Kelly stopped working with the kid. he no longer was allowed in the film rooms with the team, Kelly no longer spent the extra time to teach him the safety position. He was only allowed to condition so his knowledge of the safety position never developed. He was making plays not because he developed good technique but out of pure athleticism. He also was being taught to operate under the old defensive system (Groh). Fast forward..... Kelly takes over and Griffin is not getting reps in practice. He finally gets some reps in preparation for the bowl game and he dominates. His mistakes are due to a lack of reps. GT brings in coach Roof. Roof thinks that Griffin is a experienced Safety. Later finds out that Griffin had minimal reps at Safety. Because GT is trying to make a impact this year, Griffin is given a fewer reps but Roof feels that Griffin can get on the field earlier at CB. He felt that the other safeties had more game experience but Griffin was a better athlete. He felt that Griffin and DJ White would be in the rotation at CB. Griffin begins working with Coach Speed but Speed feels that Griffin lacks game experience and decides to rotate his experienced 3 (Thomas, Young, White). Guys that have played DB on both the college and Pro level feel Speed does not have the knowledge to properly teach the CB's. He is more of a Asst. LB coach. Griffin is going to be something special next year guys. Oh by the way, I got my info from speaking to coaches and Griffin's uncle who is a Alumni of GT. Bat don't get me wrong Watts has the size but watch Griffin very close. He is your sleeper!!!!

Hope I did not bore you to death!!!!!!

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
haha, DJ White got beat on the long touchdown play. Jemea NEEDS to be at one of the corner spots. He is our best cover guy and our best tackler.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
haha, DJ White got beat on the long touchdown play. Jemea NEEDS to be at one of the corner spots. He is our best cover guy and our best tackler.

haha????? Go back and watch the game films. Pay close attention to the plays being called in. Watch Jamea! he is confused not because he does not have a knowledge of the game, he is trying to get a play from the sideline. Watch the games again. They are out of position. On multiple occasions you see guys holding their arms up like what????? I really don't know you, so I am not going to question your football IQ but Jemea NEEDS! to be in the best position to help the team. Right now that is not at corner. RIGHT NOW! he is the best person to come up and stop the run and he has the ability to cover. DJ has been doing very well. He got beat once and you are ready to throw in the towel on the kid. DJ has been making solid tackles. Lou Young got beat on the first play from the line of scrimmage (40 yds morris to dorsett) you forgot to point that out, DJ got beat on the next score. He gets turned an cannot recover, Miami's drive is stalled and they get a filed goal. The game was tied 17/17. Morris throws a 69 yard strike to Herns. Demond smith missed a open field tackle to stop this play, Next big play 41 yard pass Morris to Coley. Who was in coverage #12 Demond Smith, Jemea missed a tackle that allowed Crowford to rush for a 18 yards TD. Now with those mistakes should all these young men be taken off the field. No!!!!! Go watch the film and comeback at lets have a real football discussion. Look at the DL what technique is the NT using? Why are opponents RB's getting in the secondary? What technique is our corners using? Why are we having problems stopping the drag route? Covering plays where the tight end is the target receiver? Why do we struggle with stopping a opponent that runs split sacks pro set left dump pass? A good solution is not Jemea needs to be at the corner spot because he can tackle and cover. What is the best position for him to help the team Right Now? At Safety he can assist with stopping the run and covering the backs out of the backfield.

Not trying to be arrogant or anything and if it sounds like that way then accept my apology. I am just passionate about the game. We have some great guys on this team! I think they need development and to be placed in a better positions to produce. Just like the offense. We seem to compete to early in the game but then when our opponent make adjustments and stop what worked initially, we have failed to come up with an answer.

Take Care and Let's all support our boys in beating BYU!

Last edited:

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Bat

I see we agree on several of the spots. I know I keeping yelling Griffin at safety and there is reason behind this. I have followed this kid in high school. When he was recruited, many stated that he was from a 2a school that did not play a lot of talent but that is not true. I first me this kid when Lonnie Marts (former 11 year NFL Veteran Linebacker -I only shared this info to provide a little insight on the person evaluating the talent) Rod Harris former NFL receiver and myself were watching a game with Griffin's team Trinity Christian vs Yulee that featured Alabama commit Derick Henry RB and South Carolina WR now linebacker Kelvin Rainey. Griffin started out covering Kelvin Rainey 6'233. Rainey averaged well over 100 yards a game but in the first half he had 0 catches. Griffin jammed him and even got a pick that was called back because of a penalty. Derrick Henry was destroying Trinity on the ground so Trinity switched Griffin to Middle Linebacker. On the first play Griffin blitzed and dropped Henry. Henry stood up and fell to the ground. he was hurt He went out for a series and returned. Yulee put Henry in the wildcat and he ran a sweep. Griffin makes breaks through a block and literally picks Henry up in the air and slams him to the ground. The crowd went crazy!!! Lonnie and I were like who in the Hell is this kid. I ended up going to the school because I wanted to talk to my boy coach Gus who is a coach at Trinity and former DB for the NE Patriots. His exact words was this. "Lynn is a beast!" he will hit anyone. We refuse to back down from anyone. The one thing that will hurt him with recruiting is he plays to many positions. LB, DE, S, Corner, RB, QB in Wildcat, 2nd string kicker. He continued by stating that the kid would end up a college safety but will have not exposure at the position. I started following Griffin and Nick Washington who is a Gator (poor guy needed to join the ACC better yet he need to be a Yellow Jacket).

Griffin has defended some great competition. He has a reputation in Jacksonville as a hard hitting, hard nosed DB.

Here is what is happening to Griffin at GT. I watched this happen to several guys who ended up being a monster in the league. Griffin was bringing it his first year. Several post where made about how he was able to cover and how he never shied away from contact. Griffin got injured (torn quad) and rushed to return. He was practicing and tore his quad again. Anyone who had that injury knows it is really painful. Well Coach Kelly stopped working with the kid. he no longer was allowed in the film rooms with the team, Kelly no longer spent the extra time to teach him the safety position. He was only allowed to condition so his knowledge of the safety position never developed. He was making plays not because he developed good technique but out of pure athleticism. He also was being taught to operate under the old defensive system (Groh). Fast forward..... Kelly takes over and Griffin is not getting reps in practice. He finally gets some reps in preparation for the bowl game and he dominates. His mistakes are due to a lack of reps. GT brings in coach Roof. Roof thinks that Griffin is a experienced Safety. Later finds out that Griffin had minimal reps at Safety. Because GT is trying to make a impact this year, Griffin is given a fewer reps but Roof feels that Griffin can get on the field earlier at CB. He felt that the other safeties had more game experience but Griffin was a better athlete. He felt that Griffin and DJ White would be in the rotation at CB. Griffin begins working with Coach Speed but Speed feels that Griffin lacks game experience and decides to rotate his experienced 3 (Thomas, Young, White). Guys that have played DB on both the college and Pro level feel Speed does not have the knowledge to properly teach the CB's. He is more of a Asst. LB coach. Griffin is going to be something special next year guys. Oh by the way, I got my info from speaking to coaches and Griffin's uncle who is a Alumni of GT. Bat don't get me wrong Watts has the size but watch Griffin very close. He is your sleeper!!!!

Hope I did not bore you to death!!!!!!
No you didn't bore me to death. I too, would love to see Griffin get some playing time at safety. I just think that Thomas/Watts would be better options there right now. Next year, though, I wouldn't mind Griffin at FS with Isaiah Johnson coming back to play SS

ToddM

Leonard,

Have you figured out what kind of defense we tried to play ? I can't understand what we were doing that was different, but it was obviously confusing to our kids.

It looked like a two deep zone, the LBs were dropping into a zone but the corners were acting like they were in man pre snap then they would, or were suppose to hand their guy off to the safety's after about 10 yards down field. It looked like the confusion was taking place in the exchange of coverage. To me it looked like Jemea was trying to direct the backfield as to who was picking up who after they were released.

What ever it was it stayed confusing all day.

Seems that the guys confusion was based on entry into their individual area of zone responsibility. One would release his guy but the other wasn't there to pick up coverage.

It also seems that the easy fix to this is straight up man to man. Either way a more aggressive style takes care of that entire issue. We sat back and waited to be attacked rather than being the ones attacking.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Leonard,

Have you figured out what kind of defense we tried to play ? I can't understand what we were doing that was different, but it was obviously confusing to our kids.

It looked like a two deep zone, the LBs were dropping into a zone but the corners were acting like they were in man pre snap then they would, or were suppose to hand their guy off to the safety's after about 10 yards down field. It looked like the confusion was taking place in the exchange of coverage. To me it looked like Jemea was trying to direct the backfield as to who was picking up who after they were released.

What ever it was it stayed confusing all day.

Seems that the guys confusion was based on entry into their individual area of zone responsibility. One would release his guy but the other wasn't there to pick up coverage.

It also seems that the easy fix to this is straight up man to man. Either way a more aggressive style takes care of that entire issue. We sat back and waited to be attacked rather than being the ones attacking.

Well, I can answer that. Set 4. Set is means you where you will set your 1, 3tech and nickel if it is pass. If it is a run formation you set it to the TE. Pass formation you set to the slot receiver. Good coverage vs. verticals. In quarters coverage, if the 1 and 2 to go vertical, the CB and S will play them man. This is the coverage that we were in when Milton got the pick. Morris thought it was Cov 2 and assumed the Safety would expand to outside of the hash, hence throwing to the TE in the seam.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
No you didn't bore me to death. I too, would love to see Griffin get some playing time at safety. I just think that Thomas/Watts would be better options there right now. Next year, though, I wouldn't mind Griffin at FS with Isaiah Johnson coming back to play SS
Does Watts have the ability to cover?