Chop Block?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not sure this is a chop block. The center does not look like he is engaging the defender.

Perhaps it was the second block that was counted as a chop block... but both blocker were low?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That is a joke for two reasons. 1. Burden whiffed completely so there's no double team. 2. Even if he was engaged, which he wasn't, they were both low. A chop has to be one high, one low. I remember the ref cited two players when he made the call, who were they?

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I think it was a blown call. However . . . the ACC refs had earlier called an offensive hold against UVA so by protocol they had to find an opportunity to call a chop block on Tech's O line or they would have all been fined 5000$ and suspended w/o pay from officiating for one game.

I really wish I was kidding with this conspiracy theory.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We did get several calls to go our way. Virginia also held a whole lot less than any other team we played.

bcaff

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, I thought we got lucky with the spot on that 4th down play and the defensive holding call on Smelter to keep the drive alive.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I thought we got lucky with the spot on that 4th down play and the defensive holding call on Smelter to keep the drive alive.
I don't mind admitting getting lucky on some calls. However, over the course of a game I wouldn't want to overplay the importance of "getting lucky" on this or that call versus the team playing a clean and solid game. What I mean is that you put yourself in a good position by playing well so that some plays or two can stand out more as "lucky." If Tech had thrown 3 picks and been jelly fingers and putting the ball on the ground 2-3 times as well then suddenly we don't even notice a "lucky" break here or there on this or that call.

The team played a really solid game and looked disciplined and good in giving great effort. The team also looked well coached in this game, especially given that the UVA defense in particular looked to also be well coached. It is because of that we can then pick out the fact UVA WRs were dropping passes or a decent spot on a 4th down as having been elements of "luck." Do you see what I mean?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure this wasn't a cross-block with Burden and Devine reading the slants then crossing to hit opposite DLs. Burden moved mighty fast to trying to get a block on 9 and Devine simply took the guy who was shooting the gap. When I played ball this was what we called a "city call"; the guy who looked like he was going for the gap was hit by the guard and the guy on the outside shoulder of the guard would be hit by the center. You yelled out a city when you saw the formation and automatically switched off.

Whatever it was, it most definitely was not a chop block.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
To me luck almost never has anything to do with sport.

Luck is the flip of the coin.
Luck is the bounce of the ball.
Luck is the puff of wind that affects the flight of the ball.
Luck is the Hand of God placing a tipped pass into the hands of Ricardo Lewis.

In sport, luck is something that is beyond the control of the players.

Performance can seem like "luck" and you may feel "lucky" after performing a play. Conversely, failure to perform can seem "unlucky".

When I coach (not football), I tell my players that "luck", as it is commonly defined, is something that you can create. You do not need a four-leaf clover, rabbit's foot or any other such talisman. What you need to create "luck" is execution of a task. Learning a skill, practicing a skill and performing a skill all lead to execution that can appear to an observer as "lucky". The reality is that the hours of drills, the years of playing, the confidence from past successes all make the execution possible and if the player is not willing to put in the work to make the "luck", they will not "get lucky" as often.

The short version is, the better you play - the luckier you get.

Dropping an uncontested pass is not "unlucky" it is a failure of performance. As I fan, I would rather blame "luck", but I am really just making an excuse. The QB, mis-threw the ball or the receiver mis-timed the catch. Luck had nothing to do with it. In a game that you are getting your hat handed to you, now are out of your comfort zone and are more likely to have unforced errors worrying about the defense.

Officiating: Some may say that game officials can fall into the category of luck. After all, they are beyond the control of the participants. Or are they? Does a pin-point pitcher get more close calls than a wild pitcher? Will a team that has a reputation for chop-blocks get called for them more often because of the reputation? If an official knows a player has a reputation for a illegal act will that official not have a heightened sense to look for that act? Blatant illegal acts will also attract more calls. So I believe that what the players do can affect the official's calls - not definitively but there is an affect.

I have said it before and I will probably say it again; I'd rather be lucky than good. But the truth is you have to be good in order to be lucky.

On Saturday at Grant Field, the boys wearing White & Gold were good.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Really bad call. Only way that gets called a chop in my opinion is that the refs were told to look for it, and from down the line it could look like a chop if you think Shamire is going to hit high.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure this wasn't a cross-block with Burden and Devine reading the slants then crossing to hit opposite DLs. Burden moved mighty fast to trying to get a block on 9 and Devine simply took the guy who was shooting the gap. When I played ball this was what we called a "city call"; the guy who looked like he was going for the gap was hit by the guard and the guy on the outside shoulder of the guard would be hit by the center. You yelled out a city when you saw the formation and automatically switched off.

Whatever it was, it most definitely was not a chop block.
Yeah, what was the city that a certain pro quarterback called out over and over again? I vaguely remember the tape and it was hysterical. 80% of his audibles involved yelling, "Cincinnati," or something like that.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Someone feel free to start another thread if you like but I have been meaning to ask this question for two or three years now. Why do SEC refs allow so many bad hits to go without a flag? I see players hit five yards out of bounds, tackles that take place after the whistle or out of bounds, shots to the head, piling on after the whistle, and on and on. I noticed this in the Arkansas game and in the Auburn game this past weekend. And it did not just happen once.