Chaz Cheeks

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Just not a good fit in our scheme.

He's a Junior this year so we will see if he gets any reps on special teams.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
He's a big body. Wish he would have developed into a DE. He's a RS Junior so I'm guessing this is his last year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
On average, less than 50% of each recruiting class will contribute at an impact level (starter/1st reserve) during their 4/5 years. If a staff hits on 50%, they're doing good. That's just the way it is. There are a bunch of kids we recruit that look great on film, but for various reasons, won't be huge contributors during their career if they even finish out here. If you think about it, there's only 22 full time positions, and less than that for subs. Not many places for guys to fit in, and then you get another talent surge every year with each signing class that creates competition for spots.

Look at our vaunted 2007 class. How many of the 4/5 stars actually lived up to the hype? Guys like DJ Donley, Willie White, Steven Threat barely registered at GT. Jason Peters and Nick Claytor both got caught in scheme changes that didn't fit their playing style. All were immensely talented...they just had different reasons for not making an impact at GT.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I noticed in the media guide one year that they asked several players what they would do if they won a million dollars. Cheeks response was words to the effect that he would quit football and go on a trip around the world or something like that. I remember thinking at the time, now this dude's heart is really not in it. Personally, I think Tech should weed out guys who have not shown an ability to compete by their third year in the program. I know it's not the nice thing to do, but it sure would allow us to bring in more guys that might end up making a contribution. We have quite a few guys like this. I know where I used to work, if you did not pull your weight you were shown the door.

Go Jackets!

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe with him it does boil down to heart and desire. It would have to be a bit discouraging every year have a new class come in and pass you on the depth chart. Does anyone know if he even travels to the away games?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I noticed in the media guide one year that they asked several players what they would do if they won a million dollars. Cheeks response was words to the effect that he would quit football and go on a trip around the world or something like that. I remember thinking at the time, now this dude's heart is really not in it. Personally, I think Tech should weed out guys who have not shown an ability to compete by their third year in the program. I know it's not the nice thing to do, but it sure would allow us to bring in more guys that might end up making a contribution. We have quite a few guys like this. I know where I used to work, if you did not pull your weight you were shown the door.

Go Jackets!
Completely disagree. Factories weed kids out, not GT. Academics weeds kids out not athletics. That's the way it should be at a SCHOOL. At work, it's totally different.

Now if football was their major and they got actual grades based on performance and they failed out of school based on poor grades, then I'd be all for it.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
Ironically we have the worst of all worlds.As I understand the schollys ARE 1 ye renewals which can be canceled but we don't .So we have a lot of non-contributors.Of course some of that is recruiting-getting the RIGHT guys.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
As I understand the schollys ARE 1 year renewals...
I understand this, also, but can't figure out why it is so. Why aren't they 4+ yr schollies with conditions attached? No college will admit to cutting players for lack of performance, even the ones that blatantly do.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes it takes a while for the light to come on for a kid, be it his grasp of his position or attention to detail or some other factor.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Completely disagree. Factories weed kids out, not GT. Academics weeds kids out not athletics. That's the way it should be at a SCHOOL. At work, it's totally different.

Now if football was their major and they got actual grades based on performance and they failed out of school based on poor grades, then I'd be all for it.

Horsecrap. GT weeds kids out of baseball every year.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
"Sure, Deandre...Go talk to CPJ about a spot on the football team...give that football thing a try..."
Not just that one. We get 11.7 baseball scholarships annually. Players receive more some years, less some years, and none some years....purely based on contribution. The minimum they can receive is 1/4 of a scholarship (if they get any) and NOONE gets a full one, although most of the team is also getting academic scholarships to subsidize.

Every D-1 baseball program does it and they have to because of the limited number of scholly's allowed by the NCAA.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Horsecrap. GT weeds kids out of baseball every year.

I think he was talking about football. We probably "encourage" transfers etc in basketball too. However, in football, we've seemed to be pretty good at sticking with guys who want to be at Tech through graduation regardless of their playing time.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I think he was talking about football. We probably "encourage" transfers etc in basketball too. However, in football, we've seemed to be pretty good at sticking with guys who want to be at Tech through graduation regardless of their playing time.

I know and you're right, he was saying that. I was just saying that if we do it in baseball, why not consider doing it in football, too?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not just that one. We get 11.7 baseball scholarships annually. Players receive more some years, less some years, and none some years....purely based on contribution. The minimum they can receive is 1/4 of a scholarship (if they get any) and NOONE gets a full one, although most of the team is also getting academic scholarships to subsidize.

Every D-1 baseball program does it and they have to because of the limited number of scholly's allowed by the NCAA.

This may surprise some, but most of our baseball team receives the Hope Scholarship.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
This may surprise some, but most of our baseball team receives the Hope Scholarship.

Doesn't surprise me at all. All but one of our players who are from the state of Georgia receive the Hope, unless the numbers have changed since I last heard them. But if they're on the 25 man squad, they're getting a portion of the 11.7 athletic scholarships as well. Of the ones not from the state of Georgia, all receive some other partial academic scholarships as well. But the point is that scholarship $$ go up and down annually for a player, based on his performance on the team. For those who are on the team but not on the 25 man travel squad, the fluctuation is even more dramatic.

Georgia Tech baseball is also very fortunate to have alumni such as Jason Varitek and Mark Texiera because just the two of them have endowed scholarships (Tex has endowed 3 by himself) that are also available to help subsidize the 11.7.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
there are quite a few football players that receive the Hope also. The only difference is that if they are on a football scholarship they get to pocket the Hope money and spend how they choose. Their football scholarship pays for everything first and the money (Hope) left over is reimbursed to the player. A good incentive to maintain your grades.