Charting the GT D in 2016 for chunk plays.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
So you want to blitz and play man every down and that solves our defensive problem?

No the contrary. first i want to get done with the whole season.

But up to now I would blitz a bit more in quarters covg. The data is very few chunk plays when we are in zone and blitz. But what is glaring to me is that the coverages are not effective mainly because of the depths. Either the depth of the drop is bad for the lbs, which is on the player imo, or the depth of the S and Cb are too deep for the situation and down this is by scheme alignment. Some of these chunk plays are because we are literally giving them 10 yards with how we play it. Pitch and catch.

Up to now i would mix more cover 2 in on first downs for sure. I would mix more blitzes with quarters. That quarters d seems to be getting the lions share of chunk plays without pressure....so more of a first down mix here.

I dont think playing man and blitzing is the solution. We are in quarters a ton. Need more zone mixes. Quarters is a prevent style of d and for me we use it too much on first down

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
No the contrary. first i want to get done with the whole season.

But up to now I would blitz a bit more in quarters covg. The data is very few chunk plays when we are in zone and blitz. But what is glaring to me is that the coverages are not effective mainly because of the depths. Either the depth of the drop is bad for the lbs, which is on the player imo, or the depth of the S and Cb are too deep for the situation and down this is by scheme alignment. Some of these chunk plays are because we are literally giving them 10 yards with how we play it. Pitch and catch.

Up to now i would mix more cover 2 in on first downs for sure. I would mix more blitzes with quarters. That quarters d seems to be getting the lions share of chunk plays without pressure....so more of a first down mix here.

I dont think playing man and blitzing is the solution. We are in quarters a ton. Need more zone mixes. Quarters is a prevent style of d and for me we use it too much on first down
That sounds nice but you can't possibly have a better idea of what we should do more of or less of from the film study that you just described. You see our staff not only self scouts us the way you are doing only much more in depth according to different criteria but they scout every play for the other offense with the same criteria to determine their tendencies. They also are with our players every day in practice and know their strength and weaknesses like no one but a coach would know. They do the same with the other teams offensive players all the way across the board for at least every game this season and maybe previous seasons.

You see our staff( every staff for that matter) evaluates film constantly every day. Our film, opponents film, practice film etc. They evaluate constantly what we're doing and what could make us better. Now the amount of experience we have doing this constant evaluation on a daily/hourly basis every waking hour of the day far exceeds this film study you are doing.

Again, you have a better knowledge than most I assume because you played some but this comparison compared to what the coaches do is extremely inadequate. I am not going to blame scheme for our defensive woes because of this film study.

I can tell you this, if you bring 4,5,6 or 7 and can't get to the qb you better sit back in zone!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
We'll have to see how it plays out as we did change approach some without better results, but I think there will be trends there too.

Less than bad schemes, though, I'm more concerned about our predictability. In the pros, it takes a lot of work to trick the O, but in college mistakes are made much more frequently. Mix it up and disguise things! Also, there are few blitzes here, but I predict there will be more blitzes with similar results in games to follow. What I think we will see, however, is the same coverages over and over.

Jmonty71

Banned
I see a pattern. Zone...no blitz. Anyone else? 3rd and long.. Falling back into a soft (very soft, at points) instead blitzing. Yet, this isn't CTR's fault???? Too add. Even in the zone, players were all over and clueless at many parts of the these games. Again... per the Roof lovers... Not Roof's fault. While I agree we need bigger, stronger and faster up front. Most of these were due to playing the wrong coverage or by CTR not dialing up pressure. To this day, we cannot disguise a blitz. When we blitz, it so obvious Stevie Wonder could see it coming.

I can agree, due to recruits, Roof should get 1 more year. Don't like it. I think he'll do just as miserable as he has over the last 4 years. But, I think people will be tired of seeing a failing system, at the end of next season.

I surely hope the defense is good next year. I don't see the offense being better or the same. I think we'll be just a tad worse on offense. We lose a good bit of the passing game. Didn't really see much, in the passing game, from MJ.

Kalvin Jonson

Georgia Tech Fan
Recruit fast LBs, and do what Tenuta did. Blitz, blitz, blitz. If we get burned sometimes then so be it. Beats being passive and getting burned. We have some capable guys, I would love to see Roof implement this. Also, when we do blitz, we have guys runnin right at OL. Try and get around them while staying in your lanes, don't play paddy cake with them

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I simetimes wonder if we need a new DL coach? I know Pelton is well thought of but we have the worst pass rushing Dlinemen during his time at GT that i can ever recall

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I simetimes wonder if we need a new DL coach? I know Pelton is well thought of but we have the worst pass rushing Dlinemen during his time at GT that i can ever recall

What impact do you think a new DL coach will have with the same players? Are you looking for a different rush and pass technique from the DLineman?

Jmonty71

Banned
Recruit fast LBs, and do what Tenuta did. Blitz, blitz, blitz. If we get burned sometimes then so be it. Beats being passive and getting burned. We have some capable guys, I would love to see Roof implement this. Also, when we do blitz, we have guys runnin right at OL. Try and get around them while staying in your lanes, don't play paddy cake with them
Part of that is the DL and LB corps not working together. When you do an A gap blitz the DL needs to make a hole. That isn't happening. Fault on bad coaching.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
That sounds nice but you can't possibly have a better idea of what we should do more of or less of from the film study that you just described. You see our staff not only self scouts us the way you are doing only much more in depth according to different criteria but they scout every play for the other offense with the same criteria to determine their tendencies. They also are with our players every day in practice and know their strength and weaknesses like no one but a coach would know. They do the same with the other teams offensive players all the way across the board for at least every game this season and maybe previous seasons.

You see our staff( every staff for that matter) evaluates film constantly every day. Our film, opponents film, practice film etc. They evaluate constantly what we're doing and what could make us better. Now the amount of experience we have doing this constant evaluation on a daily/hourly basis every waking hour of the day far exceeds this film study you are doing.

Again, you have a better knowledge than most I assume because you played some but this comparison compared to what the coaches do is extremely inadequate. I am not going to blame scheme for our defensive woes because of this film study.

I can tell you this, if you bring 4,5,6 or 7 and can't get to the qb you better sit back in zone!

I get it. You have dep hair gel stock. Thats cool. I didnt read your post. Too long. Roof is a below avg dc imo. You own dep hair gel stock. No biggy

Up next miami breakdown of chunk play d calls