Chart of our GT Men's Basketball Recruiting Rankings

slugboy

Staff member
I pulled from 247, because they're the only ones I saw with public team ratings, and Rivals for the last two years. Rivals only has the last two years. There are lots of services with individual ratings.
247 is the blue "National" line and Rivals is the gray "National" line. The ACC ranking is from 247.
The yellow trend is the 3 year rolling average. The light blue straight line is the linear forecast of our recruiting from 2007-2019.
I picked 2007 because it was there and I didn't feel like going back further.
upload_2019-6-10_14-6-51.png

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
I pulled from 247, because they're the only ones I saw with public team ratings, and Rivals for the last two years. Rivals only has the last two years. There are lots of services with individual ratings.
247 is the blue "National" line and Rivals is the gray "National" line. The ACC ranking is from 247.
The yellow trend is the 3 year rolling average. The light blue straight line is the linear forecast of our recruiting from 2007-2019.
I picked 2007 because it was there and I didn't feel like going back further.
View attachment 5885
Hey, we're trending up. That's a good thing. Right? ;)

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
This really goes to show how poor of a hire Brian Gregory was. All the kids that were juniors and seniors in high school during his time had early college basketball memories watching us us play in the National Championship. Ask most of the Top 150 in next year's class and they probably wouldn't even know we played in the National Championship 15 years ago, let alone have memories of it.

I think it'll start to mellow out from here and we'll stick around the 80 to 100 range pretty consistently (just thanks to playing in the ACC) until a coach makes a splash on entry here like Geoff Collins did, or until our branding improves on the shoulders of the football team.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
APR started getting enforced in like 2011, right? There could be other factors to the trend.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Sooo, you're saying we suck, right? I mean....we just suck.

OK, I got it.

I kinda already knew that though. But thanks for the depressing confirmation.

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't necessarily think Gregory was a *terrible hire* but he most certainly was a *terrible fit* at Tech. Was he not Tech's, like, 5th candidate? We didn't have much of a choice left after Gregory at the time because CPH had us in a bad situation even before he was gone. Some major broadcasters thought Gregory was a pretty good hire at the time, FWIW (Jay Bilas comes to mind).

However, Gregory has turned USF around very quickly from the disaster Calipari's former assistant Antigua left the program in - Antigua hired his brother who was such a bad coach, that he couldn't even cheat correctly LOL. USF by no means will be a great team next year, but they certainly are improving.

But, if anyone thinks there has been a big change from Gregory to Pastner, then they are absolutely out of their mind! There are a lot of similarities between the two. Mostly negative.

Connecting FBall - Collins made a splash on entry, but wasn't a splash hire - that's exactly what we need for the bball team. Young, energetic and most certainly creative... but affordable (CGC's deal isn't technically a bargain deal). It might be me, but is anyone else concerned that Stansbury might be ALL IN on football and may have a more restrictive budget for BBall as soon as Pastner is out? IDK, might just be me.

This really goes to show how poor of a hire Brian Gregory was. All the kids that were juniors and seniors in high school during his time had early college basketball memories watching us us play in the National Championship. Ask most of the Top 150 in next year's class and they probably wouldn't even know we played in the National Championship 15 years ago, let alone have memories of it.

I think it'll start to mellow out from here and we'll stick around the 80 to 100 range pretty consistently (just thanks to playing in the ACC) until a coach makes a splash on entry here like Geoff Collins did, or until our branding improves on the shoulders of the football team.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't necessarily think Gregory was a *terrible hire* but he most certainly was a *terrible fit* at Tech. Was he not Tech's, like, 5th candidate? We didn't have much of a choice left after Gregory at the time because CPH had us in a bad situation even before he was gone. Some major broadcasters thought Gregory was a pretty good hire at the time, FWIW (Jay Bilas comes to mind).

However, Gregory has turned USF around very quickly from the disaster Calipari's former assistant Antigua left the program in - Antigua hired his brother who was such a bad coach, that he couldn't even cheat correctly LOL. USF by no means will be a great team next year, but they certainly are improving.

But, if anyone thinks there has been a big change from Gregory to Pastner, then they are absolutely out of their mind! There are a lot of similarities between the two. Mostly negative.

Connecting FBall - Collins made a splash on entry, but wasn't a splash hire - that's exactly what we need for the bball team. Young, energetic and most certainly creative... but affordable (CGC's deal isn't technically a bargain deal). It might be me, but is anyone else concerned that Stansbury might be ALL IN on football and may have a more restrictive budget for BBall as soon as Pastner is out? IDK, might just be me.

Pastner won't be out for at least 2 more seasons because funds need to be replenished and Todd needs to decide how we plan to dedicate men's hoops resources.

As soon as you talk affordable and not investment, you're basically willing to accept more of what we've seen from BG & CJP. We've been getting what we pay for relative to the rest of the ACC.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Pastner won't be out for at least 2 more seasons because funds need to be replenished and Todd needs to decide how we plan to dedicate men's hoops resources.

As soon as you talk affordable and not investment, you're basically willing to accept more of what we've seen from BG & CJP. We've been getting what we pay for relative to the rest of the ACC.

I think we are up to 836465959 times saying this now....

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I have mixed thoughts on Stansbury going all-in on football. I'm not sure which team I care more about to be honest. I do know that when McCamish is filled with 8600 Georgia Tech fans, no experience in Bobby Dodd Stadium even comes close. I don't remember if it sold out but the Georgia Tech-Belmont NIT game a couple years ago blew my mind about what the program could be with some momentum.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
From an AD perspective I get going all in on football . Numbers are too big and a half empty stadium is too big a whole in the budget . Used to not be the case- at least to the same degree - but football really drives the revenue bus now .

Doesn't make it any easier to watch bad basketball though

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
From my POV, Tech has always been a football-first school. Even when Cremins had the program at the very top level, football was still top of mind to most to my friends who follow Tech. The current financials make it imperative for all schools to invest in football as that's where the money is. It isn't about ticket sales. It's bowl $$ and TV revenue. Some schools will never be football first (UNC, Duke, Virginia, Wake, NCSU, Kansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Syracuse, Arizona, Maryland) and others will always be football first (almost all of the SEC, Big Ten & Big 12)

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
From my POV, Tech has always been a football-first school. Even when Cremins had the program at the very top level, football was still top of mind to most to my friends who follow Tech. The current financials make it imperative for all schools to invest in football as that's where the money is. It isn't about ticket sales. It's bowl $$ and TV revenue. Some schools will never be football first (UNC, Duke, Virginia, Wake, NCSU, Kansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Syracuse, Arizona, Maryland) and others will always be football first (almost all of the SEC, Big Ten & Big 12)

Well GTFB also won a NC during the Cremins era as well.

slugboy

Staff member
I was around during Cremin’s time and during the NC. Basketball was a hotter ticket from 84 until about halfway through the NC season.

I’d also say that the “basketball school” vs “football school” wasn’t as big a deal then, except for the occasional Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, or Indiana.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk